View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: An amazing induction burner Reply with quote

A friend sent me a YouTube link because of another hobby of mine. Here is an interesting use of an induction burner in the small scale smelting steel. If you don't have lots of time to waste, you can skip to 1:20 and see the induction heat to 1,400 degrees in one minute. It is like magic.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: An amazing induction burner Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
A friend sent me a YouTube link because of another hobby of mine. Here is an interesting use of an induction burner in the small scale smelting steel. If you don't have lots of time to waste, you can skip to 1:20 and see the induction heat to 1,400 degrees in one minute. It is like magic.

Mark

No link.
Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuToSTnZTTY&feature=youtu.be
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
Ooops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuToSTnZTTY&feature=youtu.be

Mark, Thanks for adding the link. That was cool, -- ahhh whoops, no really hot. But I loved the whole video. Have been a fan of Forged in Fire for a long time and this was fun. Pretty incredible heating coil.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark-

Not to high-jack your thread but I want to thank you for forgetting the link on your first post. In my typical 'could-not-wait-mode' I did a search for induction stove tops. I found a Duxtop RV portable induction cook top that seems perfect for my C-Dory counter as an addition to the propane stove I have now. We tend to use marina's and/or carry a Honda 2k generator so electricity is a good cooking and coffee brewing source for us.

The portable induction grills start at $51 on Amazon and boil water faster than my high end residential Samsung gas stove. They also work off a standard 15 amp wall outlet and the surface does not heat up.

Google portable-induction-cook- stoves or RV induction cook stoves for a myriad of reviews and suggestions

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Duxtop RV portable induction cook top

That is the unit we are using on our 25. It works very well. But is a bit more picky on the induction pans than the "NuWave" we got at WalMart. and use in the RV....We found better selection of pans either at Target or Amazon than at WalMart. We have from small 1 quart (maybe less) up to a huge pot for chili or even cooking crabs. All work fine on the Duxtop.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the style that I've been looking at to replace the propane stove in my trawler. Flush mount and narrow so it frees up a lot of galley space when replacing a propane stove/oven. Redoing the countertop will be the most work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085RNDMWS/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B085RNDMWS&pd_rd_w=LDF9e&pf_rd_p=48d372c1-f7e1-4b8b-9d02-4bd86f5158c5&pd_rd_wg=XBzLO&pf_rd_r=VJH7CPTASZA08KEFZ3KC&pd_rd_r=4522a2da-9d94-4042-8096-178647f445b4&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyOFlOMzVGNUZIRExNJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODIwNjQ4NFBQRlQ3NzdKOVhDJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwMjQ5OTkyTFowS0xMN1RZOTk5JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Baking is fun when on a long cruise and I'm not positive a stove top oven can do a good job.

For cookware, I went into Goodwill and scored on a nice SS induction pot and an induction pressure cooker. Pot roast on 25 minutes.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great unit for a galley, but I was a little put off by the description of the induction burner:

Quote:
Elegant Master Piece BBQ Grill - High Quality Beautiful Ceramic 13 inch Charcoal BBQ Kamado Grill with strong 0.8 inch thick ceramic wall in dome shape that made it a most efficient BBQ Grill that requires very little air and fuel.
Specially Made For BBQ Lovers - High rang cooking temperature 180°F~750°F(82°C~399°C) allows it to......
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears “Brad” has little regard for his eyes... Holy catfish, no safety glasses.

Interesting video, though.

Thanks Mark.

Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Looks like a great unit for a galley, but I was a little put off by the description of the induction burner:

Mistaken descriptions like the one on the induction burner are one of the unnerving things about shopping on Amazon. Somehow the texts get mixed up. I've ordered things based on the title and picture and they have shown up even though a radiator cap was described as an oil filter. Amazon Prime is some insurance in that if wrong it can be immediately returned for any reason.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: