The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Gig Harbor Gathering
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colvosview

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-heeto
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a launch at Pt. Defiance, next to the ferry landing, and there is a lot of parking. I have no clue about fees, or about the security issue. You might check with Pt Defiance boat house. There's a phone number in the link above that has the fishing reports.
David S
lyle-t

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Scorpio
Photos: Scorpio
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time we put in at Point Defiance it was $7.00 for launch fee and we had to park about 1/2 mile away up on the hill. Evil or Very Mad The people are nuts trying to get into the morage pushing ahead of everyoneand then parking so no one can get around them or even close ro the dock. Thumbs Down It is NOT anyplace I would leave a rig overnight. Dark and off the beaten path in an area we hear about on TV almost every night. B~C you said something about launching at a marina near Johnson pt. It is not more than an hour away from Gig Harbour by boat with some of the nicest scenery around south sound. Going under the Narrows bridge is AWSOME. I take Scorpio through there a lot. Stay away from the marker off the end of Fox island. Looks out of place in the middle of the sound but it is there for a reason= SHALLOW ROCKY. Very good blackmouth fishing east side of Johnson pt. by the red house in 120 foot water outgoing tide flasher and green fly or spoon. Looking forward to seeing you Monday.

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year when we went to Gig we launced at Zittles, it was a nice place and an enjoyable cruise up to Gig. I was having second thoughts about launching there this time of year (fog, wind) but hey, I got electronics, just rather not have to use them
Helen O

City/Region: Cathlamet
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Helen O'
Photos: Helen O'
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought: Ken, I have a cell phone now and would be more than happy to shuttle. I'll email my cell # to you , David S. and TS Tim.
Leo Smith

City/Region: West Seattle
Photos: Leo
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi C-Brats,
You might want to consider launching and parking at the DesMoines Marina, my home port. They have a sling launch, and a huge, well-lit parking lot striped for tow rigs and trailers. DesMoines to Gig Harbor is 50 to 70 minutes depending upon how windy it is and how fast you want to travel. I have never had any reservations about parking overnight. Dozens of condos overlook the marina and parking lot, and the light level is bright enough that you can read a newspaper at midnight!
Best Regards, Leo.

Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, Leo. I think Des Moines is first rate. Bambina can scoot over to Gig in less than an hour, as long as it's not froggy. The scenery is marvelous, too.
Another place to consider is that marina just south of the Narrows, Dot Island?
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were going to the "Gig", I'd do the Des Moines sling launch as well. "Bambina" and "Sea Shift" both launched there for the Gig Gathering and had a delightful cruise together to Gig Harbor. (No vehicle problems either).

The only downside I can see of leaving a vehicle there would be that with so many C-Dory clients in the area, you might return to find numerous "love notes" stuck under your wiper blades from fellow C-Dory owners. (Much better than the alternative in the "Hill Top Neighborhood"). Smile

C-Brat #16
Catman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make that Day's Island, two miles SE of the Narrows.
Catman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, a tie!
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You Betcha!.....I would have pointed out the "tie" sooner, but I got delayed reading Fishtales post on the new "Calif. Fish & Hunting Fees" thread about the increase in fees that the "Terminator" put into effect.
lyle-t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,
The only trouble with going north to those good launches is most of the c-dorys are coming from south near Longview and further south. If any one has driven the I-5 corridor they know that from Olympia north the road is ROUGH and beats heck out of you when towing a boat. I was trying to find good launches so they would not have to travle that rough roadway. Any one knowing of such would be greatful to have them post where they are. Thanks for all the good information.
Helen O

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEEEEE DOGGIES!! Yup, us southern boys are a fixin to come up north and have us a good ol' time. Mr. Green

I sure appreciate your input, guys. But what kind of problems will I have if I just drive to Gig Harbor other than the bad stretch of I-5? I'd kinda like to have my truck within walking distance in case I want to run around town for supplies.

Last edited by Helen O on Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
True Story

City/Region: Snoqualmie
Vessel Name: True Story
Photos: True Story
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the forecast is looking a little grim for this weekend. 20-30 knots Saturday, 10-20 knots for Sunday. Colvo-David S..... I think at this time, considering the forecast, I will make a decision Saturday evening regarding my Sunday plans. Never really know about the timing of those fronts this time of year do we? I will call you on your cell about 6:00 PM if I decide to go out. It would be great to meet you.

For the rest of you guys, good luck during the week. For those trolling with downriggers, I've had great luck with a green-glow hot spot flasher and a green/white, green/speckle, army truck glow spoon. Spoons would include, coho killer, kingfisher, sonic edge and the coyote in the 3.5 or 4 inch sizes this time of year. I typically use about 45 inches of 30-40 lb leader (measured from the end of the hook to the end of the flasher) and unless I notice suspended bait, I try to fish within 5 to 10' of the bottom in 80 to 150' of water.

If you are fishing close to the bottom and you notice bait on the deck(candlefish) it doesn't hurt to kick the boat out of gear and let the downrigger ball hit the deck and then put it back into gear. Another effective tactic is to set the downriggers out whatever depth you want to fish and troll slowly towards shallower water until the balls start dragging, then quickly steer towards deeper water and give the boat a little gas until the balls quit bouncing. The key to both of these tactics is to keep the amount of time the balls are dragging on the bottom to just a few seconds or so. Lost a few balls this way, but I've caught plenty enough blackmouth to warrant the risk. Just my two bits. Tim
lyle-t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,
I hear all about those high winds but do not have even a breeze here at my house. I live just about 4 miles up Hammersly inlet which is protected by some hills but has some open places.
Do you have a map on your computer like Streets and trips? If so you can get off I-5 at exit 125 Bridgeport Way for a long ways and turns into S Jackson Ave . Then cross over to hwy 16 at about N 11 th st and miss all that rough road. That is the route I have taken when we trailered to Pt Defiance park to launch. That also misses a lot of the heavy Fort Lewis and Lakewood traffic. The road is mostly 4 lane and well marked.
Helen O

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyle

I'll have to check my maps, (they're in the boat) but that sounds like the route for me. Thanks.

This wintertime boat camping is only for the tough and rugged. I probably won't use the stereo or Television I just put in the boat, so don't pay any attention to it. Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: