The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Gig Harbor Gathering
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Gig Harbor Gathering Reply with quote

Larry S. was requesting information about Arabella's Landing in Gig Harbor. Does anyone have any pictures that they can post of our "gathering" at Arabella's. If we could locate the photo album of that gathering in the archives somewhere, they would be a nice addition to this site. (Plus another trip down memory lane). The posting in their entirety would be super.
Thanks,
Dave S.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thinking, there, Dave old boy! I made an album titled simply Gig Harbor and put it with the Cruises and Events albums.

I found seven pictures on the old CB site that I believe are all from the Gig gig. (I couldn't get off work for that one last year.) Those seven pics are in the new album.

Here's a sample:

Helen O

City/Region: Cathlamet
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Helen O'
Photos: Helen O'
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! A Gig Harbor thread, thanks Dave. I hope we aren't working Bill & Mike to hard on this one. I didn't realize that there was already a get-together at Arebella's, obviously before my time.
Anyhow, this gathering was spawned on the "Fishing" board under "Blackmouth". BC Ken and I are planning on meeting up with Lyle for some blackmouth fishing in the Gig Harbor area between the 7th and 12th of December. (or parts thereof). Weather permitting we will hopefully be fishing (and catching) during the day. Anybody else interested?
I dunno, this could possibly spill over into the the December 14th cruise. Yeah, that might be a nice way to end a fishing trip. Thumbs Up

B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm game for a trip to Arabellas and some fishing, don't forget T.S. Tim keeping an eye on this......wish I had a Wallas
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike for posting those Gig Harbor Gathering Pictures. Hopefully someone else still has some of those that they can add to the album.

Larry S.
Picture #7 of that album is of Carolyn, Brock, Fred and Robbin. That is on the deck that I mentioned where we had our BBQ. If the camera had pointed a bit more to the right you would see that fantastic view of Mt. Rainier, behind more of those beautiful flowers. A very picturesque site.
At that gathering we did some extensive South Puget Sound cruising.

Since, I'm at work now and my "ship's log" is at home, I'll try to remember to look up the date of that particular gathering tomarrow.
Dave S.
Helen O

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. If I hadn't fished the Gig Harbor/Dalco area 20 years ago in December, I probably wouldn't be so gung-ho to go up there and fish in winter. But I had a blast back then. We'd start the day by stumbling up the walk-way to a little resturaunt and ate breakfast. Then we walked across the parking lot and bought our bait (herring) then back to the boat. Within 10 minutes of casting off we were fishing on glassy smooth water. Throw out our plug cut herring and let it spin it's way slowly towards the bottom as we drifted along with the tide and our engines off. We could feel the fish bump our bait and we'd reel up the slack and then set the hook. Sharp hooks made the difference. We were always busy casting, drifting and reeling in. The day went by quickly and we topped it off with some really fine dinners. Went to some waterside resturaunts, docked and ate meals fit for kings. There was a big grocery store at Gig Harbor just up from the dock where we bought some great steaks and had a boatside bbq... all in the dead of winter. Seen other boats out there that were fishing, they had television up in the bow of their boat and were watching football games while fishing. You guys have it pretty tough up there on the Sound. Very Happy
Mr. Fisherman

C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Hmmmm Reply with quote

O.k., clue me in.
How far is this place and what does it cost to launch and dock with shore power for the night?

What does an out of state license cost?

My wife's birthday is on the 13th, are there any jewlery stores up that way?

Man if I go to Washington I just know I'll comeback with something shiney and new and I'll be too poor to be able to fish.

But maybe it will be worth it. Mike sure has had a great big smile in the last few pics I've seen him in.

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
Helen O

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, would love to see you join us. It's about 3 hours North of Portland. The nightly mooring fee is $15 and includes shore power. I'll try and locate the fee for out of state license and get back to you. I know that Washington seems to appreciate out of state fishermen more than Oregon, they're out of state license's are cheaper. In the future you might think about getting a yearly Washington license. If memory serves me it's about the same as a resident Oregon license. Runs April to April. More later.
lyle-t

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Scorpio
Photos: Scorpio
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Wa. Licenes fee Reply with quote

Ray,Larry;
Larry on page 10 of the Sport fishing rules it looks like out of stae people can buy a 2 days consecutive licenes for $6.57 and a catch record card for free. I am loading my boat for a short try in a few minutes.. Going to see if any fish are in by Johnson point. will let you know how it goes.

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, here's the cost breakdown for the Gig Harbor trip;
2 day non res fishing license......$ 7.00
morrage................................. 15.00 per night
fuel ...................................... 40.00
launch fees ........................... 10.00
new dodge............................ 30,000

look on wifes face when you show up with new dodge...priceless

freezing buns off and catching a fish with a pack of C-Nuts...priceless

I'm wagering that it'll be a foggy dog so I may be trying out the Gig harbor ramp.....druther not have to motor far in the fog
Helen O

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray

Yearly non resident salt water fishing licesnse is $39.42. A two day non resident fish/shellfish combination is only $6.57. You can find more info and order licensse online at this link http://www.greatlodge.com/wa-fishhunt/licenses/state_fishgame_front.cgi?st=WA&sinfo=FishFees

I'll call the marina Monday and get more info on parking....

Jewelry stores? The Seattle-Tacoma area is much larger than Portland. They probably have a million of em'. Check the Google search engine.

Hope you can go.

Last edited by Helen O on Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Helen O

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BC
Cheers

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1984
Vessel Name: Cheers
Photos: Cheers
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~C
Your cost breakdown may be 5 - 8K light for the new Dodge & you forgot the cost of the 25 footer... Oh, and the jewelry.
Twisted Evil
Helen O

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called Arabella's today. Parking is $5 per night.
colvosview

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: C-heeto
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry
It's great to hear of your memories of a trip twenty years ago. Most of that will still work. Suzanne's deli is right next to Arabella's, for a pastry sort of breakfast, and it's not too much of a walk to Kelly's for a huge omelette. Just a block or so beyond Kelly's is the old local Uddenberg Thriftway. It just got lassoed into the QFC chain, but certainly has anything you might need for dinner.
The biggest change - there isn't any fresh herring available in Gig Harbor anymore, since the Russell Foundation built beside the herring pens and sort of swallowed them up. To my knowledge, the Narrows Marina on the Tacoma side is the closest place. Same goes for fuel - both fuel docks recently closed. Although, if you arrive with full tanks, you can go back and forth to Pts Dalco or Defiance all week without putting much of a dent in your supply.
Arabella's has a web site at http://www.arabellaslanding.com , but it sounds like you've got most of the information already. This time of year, there is usually street parking available as well, if anyone drives in and doesn't want to pay the fee.
Some friends of mine own Arabella's and let me keep my 22 Angler at their dock across the harbor. (But I just took it home a couple of weeks ago.) They just bought a Fleming 55, and I've been trying to talk them into getting the 14' Angler for sale on the C-Dog site for their dinghy!
And lastly - does anybody have any room for one more fisherman? I'd love to go with someone who knows more about salmon fishing than I do!
David S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: