The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Anyone notice?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Anyone notice? Reply with quote

Have you noticed that the for sale listings of C-Dories has really slowed up? Guess they are like gold in hard times and then it is not easy to sell a luxury (for some but a necessity for others) a C-22 or C-25 when folks are "hunkered down".
Bob
Jimmie

City/Region: Glen Allen
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a big problem is how are you gonna travel to buy a boat perhaps 500-3000 miles when hunkered down in your house. Once this virus passes I believe ads and sales will pick back up. Our govt is pumping a ton of money out on the horizon. Many people are gonna start making more money sitting at home unemployed than they did while working.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmie wrote:
...Many people are gonna start making more money sitting at home unemployed than they did while working.

I wish...

In any case, not enough to buy and operate a boat though.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be making less money, many of my tenants are out of work and their relief is "on the horizon" and by any measure will be less than they made with their good jobs. Dana will hopefully get unemployment but she may not as she was off by choice while we were in Mexico, normally she would have been rehired but she is an OR nurse in an ambulatory surgery center that has shut down. She is in a high risk group so doesn't want work in a field she is not certified in as a hospital nurse. I fall through an unemployment crack so I won't get it. We are fortunate to have an isolated country property and we have enough resources to survive better than most.
I don't think most people will be living high on the hog on government assistance where we are, that's for sure.

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
wanabacb

City/Region: Floyd
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some real estate and other investors will buy yachts though!

Married taxpayers filing jointly will now be able to write down a depreciation on non-buisiness profits beyond the previous $500,000 limit. The limit is lifted not just for this year of Covid-19 but retroactively for 2019 and 2018 as well. Many with capital gains beyond $500,000 will now be in a position to file amended returns for refunds.

This is the second-largest carveout ($170 billion) in the $2 trillion stimulus package. Page 203 of the CARES Act. Your results may vary.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently in the market for a 25, and have my eye on a few. However, travel is definitely a bummer right now. Not just due to restrictions, but due to my personal calendar with events I'm still scheduled for that don't allow for travel of any distance... The possible closure of broker dealers also plays in...
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Many people are gonna start making more money sitting at home unemployed than they did while working.

Probably not. Do the math at minimum wage and you'll see how they came to the $1200 amount... And many sitting at home now made above minimum wage... Confused
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would appear that boating is still OK in Florida: Way down on the list of essential services, below "fishing" is "Boating", including marina services, boat ramps, fuel etc.

So come on down. Boating seems ??? OK during the lockdown....especially if you are "fishing". Call first to be sure however....

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the lock down in MD, recreational boating is not allowed. I live in VA, but a good bit of my boating is in MD waters. For instance, most of the Potomac River water surface is technically part of MD.
curioustraveler

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
Photos: Curioustraveler
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ssoblel,

Bring some crabbing nets or string and you'll be good to go. Crabbing is allowed. Can a VA resident crab in MD? While you're at it, slide by and pick me up. My boat's still up at the boat yard and I believe they're shutting down during this. Very bummed.
jemmka6@gmail.com

City/Region: downey
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:34 am    Post subject: noticed that the for sale listings of C-D have really slowed Reply with quote

Yes, Its called a great depression 2.0. You will soon be able to buy one of these cool boats for near nada prices. Its the same for cars ,houses, art and c-dory boats. Save your money and get ready! Like in any Economic Hard-times there will be more deals than you have money.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread reminded me it was time to go though the list and move the ads for the sold boats. There were four of them moved to the Marketplace Reference forum and one expired Craigslist link deleted. And yes, our list is comparatively sparse right now.

There are a few more on there that haven't seen any replies since late last year that will probably get removed before too long. These are likely sold or otherwise off the market but the owner has not posted to confirm that.

I see the sticky post with the ad format guidelines that Will so eloquently wrote up has disappeared again so I will message Will and ask him to find it and get it back on there.

We used to have it set to auto prune the ads after 90 days but I had a lot of requests from folks to help them find their ads, which was not possible after they were automatically deleted. We still want to keep it from becoming cluttered with defunct ads that get no response from the poster so a few years back we extended the time but we go in when we get around to it and remove the old ones. Most of the removed ads actually go into a hidden folder for a couple months in case the original poster wants it back up.

Once in a while I get a terse reminder from someone that I need to get the ad forum cleaned up so I usually bite my tongue and get after it and then thank whoever it was that let me know I was slipping.

When you see an ad with "SOLD - " preceding the title it is because the seller had posted that the boat had sold and I was away from the desk when I saw it. I am not gifted enough, neither in technology nor dexterity, to be moving things around on here using my phone so I simply mark it as sold and get it moved later. Sometimes I miss seeing the ads when they show up in the recent posts list so I don't get them marked, but it doesn't take too awful long to check the list and look for them.

Over the years there have been 939 ads moved to the Marketplace Reference forum. That's a lot of boats sold! There have been many more ads that were simply deleted because they didn't contain much helpful reference info or they were links to Craigslist or Boat Trader rather than ads listed in the format we like to see. We do not charge for posting ads to sell C-Dory boats so it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask folks to include more info than a simple link to some other web site. Those ads we don't bother preserving as reference.

We used to tell the folks at the C-Dory plant that C-Brats.com sells more boats than they do when you consider that along with being the biggest mover of used C-Dorys we are usually the first reference looked up by folks shopping for a new one and the knowledgeable, friendly and helpful people on here talk 'em right into a brand new C-Dory then send them off to the dealer. We are the best advertisement the factory has and they don't even run ads here! We do have a C-Dory dealer helping to support us with a banner ad up top and we encourage east coast people to visit Three Rivers Marine after we get them hooked on the boat. Ranger Tugs still advertises up top with us too, and I am sure they get some help from it.

This turned into a long post. I must be getting bored being at home so much. I hope you are all staying safe!

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, Thank you for the update. You and DaNag do a great job here and need a thank you occasionally, or more.

I happened to be over at NMI a few weeks ago, and got to have a short, quick tour, (before the shut down), and they had boat's in progress, C-Dorys, several in different stages, a 22 and a 25 and I think a V-26. (Plus there were several others, Sea Sport and Olympic I think)

Anyway, It's great to hear that C-BRATS is still doing such a good job of keeping the line alive and bringing in those folks that are seriously interested in great boats.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curioustraveler wrote:
... While you're at it, slide by and pick me up. My boat's still up at the boat yard and I believe they're shutting down during this. Very bummed.

My boat is also locked up. Probably won't see it till mid June.
Jimmie

City/Region: Glen Allen
C-Dory Year: 2006
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Quote:
Many people are gonna start making more money sitting at home unemployed than they did while working.

Probably not. Do the math at minimum wage and you'll see how they came to the $1200 amount... And many sitting at home now made above minimum wage... Confused
I did not say all or most people but many. I am a CPA and have studied the CARES act and see what many businesses and individuals will be able to receive from it. People can shut down their small business and collect unemployment plus a $600 week bonus from Uncle Sam. Businesses can receive a $10,000 grant that need not be paid back just for applying for a small business EIDL. You can get a loan to pay 8 weeks of payroll,rent,utilities and mortgage interest for a business. Many will work these provisions to the max.
Yes I have done the math have you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: