The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Recent WA restrictions - do they affect boat ramps?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Alberta I only know of one boat ramp that has been shut down, that being at Lake Minnewanka, in Banff National Park. All the National Parks are closed. The other ramps are open as far as I know, but you have to remember that the lakes still have a foot of snow over three feet of ice. I wish I was living somewhere I could even consider taking the boat out now. The ski hills and many of the cross country ski trails still have great skiing, but they are closed. We have cancelled our April trip to Vancouver Island, so will have to wait until May to get on the water in our kayaks and later in the C-Dory.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Stearmandriver2

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Notayot
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulNBriannaLynn wrote:
I'm just surprised in Washington I can still run over to the local bikini coffee stand for a peep show, afterwards grab a Big mac meal at the Mickey Dees and some legal weed from the weed stores because all that is obviously "essential". But all my friends who work in the trades, my plumber friends, electricians, people who do "non essential" jobs that keep peoples basic needs at home working properly are out of a job right now. Good job Enslee, that makes total sense.

I read that either the city of Denver or the whole state of Colorado briefly decreed that liquor and weed shops were non-essential. The panicked crowded runs on these places the day before they were to close accomplished the opposite of the distancing intended, so liquor and weed are once again essential. Very Happy

In seriousness, a physician friend told me that keeping liquor stores open is probably smart. Sad as it is, denying addicts a physically addictive substance would create a run on the hospitals that they can't handle right now.
westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, re: tradespeople being able to work in Washington state: the plumbers and electricians you mention can still work if they choose, because they perform necessary/emergent repairs. Same goes for other construction workers if their work is urgent, emergent, or being done to serve a publicly required purpose (road repair, IT infrastructure/telecommunications, marine transportation, etc.).
Many are furloughed because the end customers have directed the work to be shut down. And of course, nonessential construction and remodeling needs to be shut down, (including a project that I am doing with my son which I would really like to proceed on but can’t).

It is frustrating, but as you and I well know, infection control on job sites is often an afterthought, and workers must often work shoulder to shoulder due to the nature of the work itself.

I am very much a critic of Governor Inslee, but I believe in this case he is making the right call. In fact it seems to be working. Hang in there!
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulNBriannaLynn wrote:
I'm just surprised in Washington I can still run over to the local bikini coffee stand for a peep show, afterwards grab a Big mac meal at the Mickey Dees and some legal weed from the weed stores because all that is obviously "essential". But all my friends who work in the trades, my plumber friends, electricians, people who do "non essential" jobs that keep peoples basic needs at home working properly are out of a job right now. Good job Enslee, that makes total sense.

It's WA State. If it's common sense, logical and realistic...they gov't will order the opposite. Somehow pot shops are "essential" but gun shops need to close. At the same time, they are releasing criminals in droves. I noticed they somehow got the approval to continue to work on the Key Arena remodel (NHL and allegedly NBA at some point). Hmmmm.... Yes, because that is "essential". Sure. How did that decision get made? I know. Someone's re-election campaign account got a huge deposit...

Quote:
I am very much a critic of Governor Inslee, but I believe in this case he is making the right call. In fact it seems to be working. Hang in there!

I would say it is working. However, mixed into this policy stew certain, specific policies are being enacted and forced. While others are ignored and supported, based purely on political ideology. See mj shops vs gun shops. One being opened means it lessens their financial risk. By closing the others, they face the threat of financial insolvency and closure. Both "wins" according to some.

If I owned a gun shop, I'd put some canned goods, household items on a shelf. Bam. Now I'm an essential grocery store that just happens to also sell guns.

westward

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Localboy:

I absolutely agree about the dangers of government infringement under the color of emergency authority. I'm sure the gun shops could stay open by appointment with strict infection control, whereas I question how essential pot shops really are to our civic well-being, at a time when pulmonary health is at a premium.

We've seen examples throughout history of government using a crisis (or even contriving a crisis) to achieve ill-intended goals. I believe this situation warrants social restrictions, but I have also noticed some selective enforcement choices.

Here's hoping we get over the infection hump quickly, and have our civil liberties restored fully.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a number of derogatory comments in this forum about pot shops being open during these virus lock downs. Allow me to inject a possible thought into your criticism. For many people, marijuana is a necessary medical treatment. Pot shops may be open for the same reasons pharmacies are.

P.S. On a personal note, my best friend of 60 years died a couple of years ago of lung cancer (he was not a smoker). He did not enjoy smoking pot during his life. But in the last 2 years of his life, especially while on chemo, we talked him into to trying it. Pot made a huge difference in his like. He re-gained his appetite, he could sleep again, his zest for life recovered a bit. I guarantee you he would have needed a pot shop open were he still alive.

westward

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy,
As an acute and intensive care therapist who works with oncology patients, I’m well aware of the medicinal value of marijuana for nausea and pain relief. I think what we’re talking about, however is recreational pot shops, Which by definition provide a product intended for recreational use. It’s curious that most other forms of recreational business have been temporarily banned, But pot shops remain open.

It’s also interesting to note, that in so-called red states governors have declared gun shops to be essential, due to their arguable role in helping citizens self defend. But in blue states, governors are prioritizing the closing of gun shops and ranges. Of course the inverse is true with pot shops, though they don’t tend to exist in red states to any significant degree.

I Don’t personally have a problem with medical marijuana remaining available, especially in the edible or tincture form, which do not damage lungs.

The point isn’t to debate the value of marijuana or guns, but to note the tendency of various governmental leaders (of all persuasions) to use crisis as an opportunity to further their pre-existing agendas. My rights abridged today might become your rights abridged tomorrow.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for those of you who are worried about running out of guns or ammo during this public health emergency let me know. I can't promise anything but I'll see what I can do. Rolling Eyes

"...we're all in the same boat..."
localboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotnmarty wrote:
for those of you who are worried about running out of guns or ammo during this public health emergency let me know. I can't promise anything but I'll see what I can do. Rolling Eyes

Not to worry. The men & women in blue are out, risking their health, and lives, to protect you and yours while record numbers of criminals are being released onto the streets to prey on society. You’re welcome.
localboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
I've seen a number of derogatory comments in this forum about pot shops being open during these virus lock downs. Allow me to inject a possible thought into your criticism. For many people, marijuana is a necessary medical treatment. Pot shops may be open for the same reasons pharmacies are.

P.S. On a personal note, my best friend of 60 years died a couple of years ago of lung cancer (he was not a smoker). He did not enjoy smoking pot during his life. But in the last 2 years of his life, especially while on chemo, we talked him into to trying it. Pot made a huge difference in his like. He re-gained his appetite, he could sleep again, his zest for life recovered a bit. I guarantee you he would have needed a pot shop open were he still alive.

Ah, yes. The “medicinal pot” excuse. For pot head stoners to use truly sick people for their kicks is disgusting.
localboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm sure the gun shops could stay open by appointment with strict infection control, whereas I question how essential pot shops really are to our civic well-being, at a time when pulmonary health is at a premium.

One must also consider that one of these is literally, a Constitutionally guaranteed right and one is a violation of federal drug laws. But then some states & state administrations only enforce laws they consider politically expedient.

Quote:
...the tendency of various governmental leaders (of all persuasions) to use crisis as an opportunity to further their pre-existing agendas. My rights abridged today might become your rights abridged tomorrow.

"You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that...it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before."

Rahm Emanuel (D)
Former Mayor of Chicago & Chief of Staff under President Obama

Seems some people are taking this lesson to heart...
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Recent WA restrictions - do they affect boat ramps? Reply with quote

Stearmandriver2 wrote:
Anyone have any gouge as to whether the recent state and county restrictions on "water access" closes boat ramps? I'm in Port Orchard send usually use that ramp but could travel a reasonable distance for an open ramp if necessary.

Please note, I'm not trying to subvert the intent of the "shelter in place" (I'm probably more of a disease vector than anyone, given that I'm an airline pilot by day). It's just that I'm going to have some time off, and the water seems like a reasonable place to isolate. I'd like to know if I can splash the boat without running afoul of anything...

Not to derail the trend of this discussion, but a friend C-BRAT sent me a link to the Salish Sea Pilot, an "e" guide for the entire Salish Sea system, from Olympia to Port Hardy. Here is the link to the other C-Brat site thread:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=28305

There will be a link there to the Salish Sea Pilot guide website, and they have a current list (as of Mar 25. 2020), of the closure status of 99% of everywhere Shocked

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
dotnmarty wrote:

Not to worry. The men & women in blue are out, risking their health, and lives, to protect you and yours while record numbers of criminals are being released onto the streets to prey on society. You’re welcome.

my point exactly. Thanks for clarifying it. Stay safe out there
Stearmandriver2

City/Region: Port Orchard
Vessel Name: Notayot
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't imagine what the political silliness had to do with anything. There is humor - or at least irony - to be found though, in the fact that those complaining about politicians managing to use anything as an excuse for their political agenda managed to turn a thread about boat ramps into a place to espouse THEIR political agenda. Laughing

Thanks for the link, Harvey. I just saw it in the other post too. Good stuff...

FWIW, I drove by the Port Orchard boat ramp yesterday. No blockages, no signs, nothing to indicate a closure, so I'm going to interpret that as it being open. Especially in light of the P.O. fuel dock also being open.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westward,
Quote:
I think what we’re talking about, however is recreational pot shops, Which by definition provide a product intended for recreational use.

In the state of Washington, there isn't really any distinction between and "medical" and a "recreational" pot stores anymore. Medical users go to pot shops that also sell for recreational use all the time. Indeed, my friend of 60 years who died of cancer used to go to a store close to his house (I know.....toward the end I had to do the driving). His doctor encouraged his MJ use and said to buy whatever he liked.
Quote:
I Don’t personally have a problem with medical marijuana remaining available, especially in the edible or tincture form, which do not damage lungs.

That's a false choice. You need not choose between smoking when using it for recreation, or eating it for medical use. Plenty of folks only use edibles for recreation. Indeed, one of the reasons my friend liked to go to the local pot store was that he got tired of taking pot in certain ways. Also, like for most any medical drug, he had to take more and more as his tolerance built up. Eventually he settled on buying butter laced with MJ oil at the recreational pot store. He liked to cook, so he would make brownies, eggs with buttered toast, and many other dishes using the pot butter instead of straight butter. He didn't mind the taste that way, and he could easily vary his doses too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: