The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Kid Safety/Rope Rail extensions and Hatch Cover

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Kid Safety/Rope Rail extensions and Hatch Cover Reply with quote

Has anyone added rope rail extensions to add a level of safety on their C-dory? Would love some pictures and ideas. My son is 3 and always stands on the step and leans over the sides and wants to venture to bow of the boat. Our daughter is a month old so I imagine she'll want to do the same at 2!

I remember rope safety lines when I was commercial fishing 25 years ago.

Also any sources for a canvas Hatch cover? Need to get the Cuddy as dark as possible!

Thank you
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rigged up a hokie safety netting set up. My daughter is 3 and goes right over it if I don't keep an eye on her. I'd recommend a high wire and harness; less rigging and way more effective

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would argue that a life jacket is better than a tether. If you are cruising and the kid goes over with a tether (depending on the length) they could end up dragging under the boat or worse, in the prop. With a life jacket they will pop up separated from the boat and you can come around and pick them up.

Of course, having the kid on the bow while cruising is a big NO NO. In my neck of the woods, the water police will stop you if they see you underway with anyone on the bow of your boat.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many safety harnesses for children--and I highly recommend one. We had the net between the lifelines and toe rail on some of our sailboats when the kids were small and for dogs. You can make your own tether, but one has to tread a thin line between small and light, and risks of a cord around children.

Number one rule is getting the proper life jacket for the age. I must have a dozen life jackets for children--to be sure than any guest has the proper fitting jacket.

At times we took a teen with us to just watch our young children if we were going to do activities (such as diving) where one of us could not watch the children full time.

Making the kids water safe is essential if you are boating. Fortunately Greta Anderson (Famous for teaching infants to swim) was a neighbor and my kids were water safe at less than 6 months. If you don't feel comfortable teaching, there are a number of swimming pool programs which will teach infant water safety. Problem is with COVID 19, I am not sure what the status will be.

Good on bringing the kids boating when young! It is so important as a family to start at that age.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kids were canoeing before they were 1 year old. PFD's sized almost every year. Part of every canoe day was a capsize at the end of the day. WE practiced and they knew what to expect and how it would work, and they always looked forward to it. In a proper PFD and after learning to be comfortable in the water, they were swimming by 2, (yes, a version of survival swimming), but it was fun for them and reassuring for us. I would go with a good PFD, and an MOB+ device for each person aboard. At anchor or dock the PFD will do the trick, and yes, include a whistle on each one. The MOP+ will alert you if the engine is running and/or the boat is under way.

MOB+ by Fell Marine
https://www.fellmarine.com/

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we are 100% mustang family and he is in lifejacket before he hits the dock. Two sets of swimming lessons under his belt but we haven't done a canoe flip yet! Love that idea.

His whistle just hangs down but I'll figure out a way to strap it where he can grab it easily. He isn't a big fan of my rope teether but what can you do!

He is told he can't go out on the bow unless at anchor in the summer in a protected bay. Halibut fishing we anchor in hundreds of feet of water and he always wants to go up but I make it clear that is not happening.

His sister is a month old so with both of them we may need the MOB+

Thanks for the thoughts, keep them coming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: