City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curioustraveler wrote:
... I checked along the entire length of the rub rail. It doesn't appear damaged or separated at all. But there's definitely a few spots where water has seeped in by the rivets. Has anyone run a bead of some sealant along the top and bottom edge of the rub rail just to prevent water getting in here?

The OP on my boat ran a bead of 3M sealant along the top and bottom sides of the rub rail where they meet the hull. No leaks and no evidence that the rail is coming loose.
curioustraveler

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
Photos: Curioustraveler
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mechanic checked her out today and gave a good report on the motor. He doesn't see any issues with it. 147 hours. He's suggesting we replace the water filter and do some other service items just to be thorough. Steering and rigging is good.

The quote to fix the crack by the lazarette wasn't bad either.

Next step is a survey.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have them replace the waterpump impeller, and maybe the pump depending on what things look like when they get into it. Also, weigh the zincs and replace if near half weight. Oil and gear lube for sure. The mechanic may have a list and I would go with that. Add the above if it's not on his list.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

curioustraveler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, we're going to do all those things. (I meant to say water pump not water filter in the post above.)

Survey is on Weds.
bmcminn

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 1992
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Polū
Photos: bmcminn
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, have the surveyor really pay attention to the core.
On our 19 we got into a bigger core repair waaay sooner than we expected and ended up putting $5k on top of $20k.

We had water intrusion into the sole. On the 19s there are panels that make the interior wall of the hull. When the factory built the boat they used rivets and over the years lots of water had gotten in and caused rot. The sole was never saggy and the bottom of the boat was still super solid but the freeze/thaw cycle can [url]eventually[/url] cause irreparable damage to the fiberglass.

We also had a lot of core damage around the laz hatches. I believe that the cored areas in the gunwales is separate from the sole and the cored area around bow hatch. I also believe the hull coring doesn't extend forward very far into the v-berth area on the 19. Not sure if any of this holds for the 22.

That all being said, we could afford the repairs and my wonderful wife, winner of the Spouse of the Year award, didn't even get upset as the cost of the repair eventually doubled from the original estimate. Other shops quoted over 10k for the same repair.

I was already happy with the boat, and after a couple months of repair-induced-stress, I am happy once again.

IMHO this is a great safe boat that handles a lot of weather comfortably while using very little fuel to get places a little fast.

The 22 should be pleasant to trailer and put in/out of the water. The 19 is super easy with a 6-cyl Tacoma.
curioustraveler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told the surveyor today that my biggest concern is water damage. I'm really hoping she doesn't find too much.

I did some more digging around the boat today because it was raining and I wanted to look for leaks. I definitely found some problem areas.

Someone installed rod holders in the port and starboard gunnels. I reached up under the gunnel and could feel the core around the hole drilled for the holders and it's definitely wet.

I also found some leaking where the water tank fill and vent is. Stuck my finger up in there and its also wet.

At the price I'm getting her I can definitely put money into repairs so unless she finds major damage I think these problems are probably manageable. I could probably even do the rod holder area by myself, assuming the rot hasn't spread too far and I read all of Dr. Bob's tutorials.

Not sure how I'd get to the area around the water tank fill though.

You have me concerned about the lazarette hatches now too.

How big a problem is a moist core around things like the rod holders and the water tank fill? How would anyone even detect this on a boat that didn't have easy access to these areas? I obviously want to fix it now that I know about it but how urgent is this?
bmcminn

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 1992
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Polū
Photos: bmcminn
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a really good knowledge base going on here, lots of folks with info that lines up instead of a bunch of contradictory info like I find on other forums.

I wasn't super worried about water intrusion into anything except the sole. That's just my opinion.

I dug out a ton of wet balsa from around the laz hatches and filled it with west system epoxy. I think other stuff would also work in those less-critical areas, but I wanted to get some experience with that material. Plus I think epoxy is cool

Other folks that had similar problems only had to remove less than an inch. I defo had some tunneling going on and had to get out more.

Having a dry place to work, like a garage, makes a big difference in the level of complexity you can take on also.

A lot of people use those pinless moisture meters and/or tapping with a hammer effectively when looking for core rot. I'm not familiar with the 22 and can't comment on the water tank and specifics.
CaptMac

City/Region: Amelia Island / Jacksonville
State or Province: FL
Photos: Blue Manatee
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: C-Dory for Sale Reply with quote

As of tonight I have put the Blue Moon, my 19' C-Dory Angler, up for sale on eBay with a Buy-it-Now price of $24,500. The 90 hp 4-stroke efi Suzki 2009 outboard has been completely documented, serviced and compression tested by the Suzuki Dealer and is good to go.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153856180573?_trksid=p2471758.m4704

All that remains is for the new Owner to experience many happy boating memories.

I will be happy to assist the new Owner with the shipment of this boat to another state if required.

http://www.floundergigging.com
Flounder Gigging Charters
"The Adventure of a Night-time"
904-556-0230 Cell/Text
curioustraveler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful boat CaptMac. I was actually looking for a 19 until this 22 popped up. Too good of a deal to pass up.
CaptMac

City/Region: Amelia Island / Jacksonville
State or Province: FL
Photos: Blue Manatee
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much any choice is a good one you can't go wrong with a C-Dory
Very Happy
curioustraveler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Fingers crossed for the survey on Weds.
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When do you get the survey information? Based on your thread it sounds like you're comfortable with a $35k boat and that you have found the motor to be in great shape. If that's the case then a $20k purchase price leaves you with $15k for repairs and upgrades. I hope the survey comes back favorably for you because if so it sounds great.

If not it's always OK to walk and keep watching.
I stumbled across my last CD22 very very luckily. I had been posting here on the forums and the previous owner reached out to me and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

They do pop up and when one door closes another opens!

Good luck, looking forward to seeing your results!

curioustraveler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what I'm hoping. Unless we identify some major issues, she should still be well under he market value, even with repairs.

I'll be attending the survey with the surveyor so although I won't have the official report tomorrow, I should still know what problems we find.
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curioustraveler wrote:
That's exactly what I'm hoping. Unless we identify some major issues, she should still be well under he market value, even with repairs.

I'll be attending the survey with the surveyor so although I won't have the official report tomorrow, I should still know what problems we find.

as long as the needed work isn't catastrophic it sure sounds like a good deal! Good luck!
curioustraveler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just left the survey. Looking for some advice from the group. Bottom line, the surveyor was very impressed with her condition and found nothing that concerns her about a 14 year old boat. Especially at the price point I'm getting her.

The stuff I was concerned about (obvious moisture around the rod holder and fresh water deck fill) didn't really bother her. Those are pretty easy fixes and the moisture doesn't seem to spread very far.

What I didn't expect was the amount of moisture she found in the cabin and cockpit sole. Her meter read high levels of moisture but she percussed the whole hull, bottom, deck, sole, gunnels, and said it sounds great. She said she expected worse. She took me over to another random boat in the yard, put the meter on the transom to show me how wet it was and then percussed it to show me how different it sounded from the C-Dory.

Her professional opinion is the moisture in the sole isn't a concern. The floor isn't mushy and sounds great. She doesn't think this is the kind of thing where if I start drilling holes water's going to come pouring out. She said she would have no heartburn about buying the boat. The one concern she does have is if I go to resell her and the buyer has a surveyor who isn't as thorough as her. The surveyor may detect moisture on the meter and not actually assess whether its a problem or not. Again, for the price I'm getting her I can price it accordingly on the resale. (Do most people even survey a $20,000 boat?)

So, it seems like a great boat, and the surveyor believes it's a great boat. If I just went off her opinion I'd close the deal tonight. But after reading all of your horror stories about water problems I'm a bit hesitant. I don't want something that's going to turn into a major issue down the road.

What I don't understand is this boat was hardly used, the hull's in great shape, there's no cracks or anything, so why would her bottom be wet?

Thanks for the advise! I'm hoping to join the C-Brat family if this is the right boat but I can pass up on the deal if it's not worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: