View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Freezing Rain Reply with quote

This isn't exactly the White Christmas kinda evening! It's pelting the skylight in the kitchen...thought someone was knocking Shocked

~~~scurrying to study up on the fine art of klean heat burning...luckily we have 2 wheelbarrows!~~~~
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh oh. You think it will still wait until tomorrow afternoon to reach Portland? Me an Tiff are wanting to run up there in the morning. The news said 4:00pm Sunday for the nasty stuff in the Portland area, and we planned to be well on our way back to the costal tropics by then. If it was snow, we would stick around to see it and drive in it, but that ice stuff is better left to the experienced inlanders.
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone from the Portland area recall a weatherman named Bob Lynott? (If you do, you're almost as old as dirt Laughing ) That name always cracked me up, his being a weatherman in the PNW Rolling Eyes

Mike, get on katu's website in the morning and take a look at the cams...we're just having a 'small moisture band' go through according to dopler....but NOBODY knows what'll blow through in the next few days...they can only guess.
Lynn Marie

City/Region: Redmond
C-Dory Year: 1997
Photos: Lynn Marie
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like all the coastal crews are going inland this morning. Judy and I are leaving in a few minutes and we plan on being west bound way before noon. Don't mind a little ice on the road since the tow rig now has studs all the way around but I really don't like those other cars that don't when the road gets a sheet of ice glaze. Geez I hate that freezing rain stuff.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of ice and road coinditions, I have a question for you guys from the PNW:

I'm coming up to the SBS/CBC again th is year, and if the weather isn't bad or hasn't just been bad which would leave a lot of snow and or ice on the roads, I'm planning on going up a different route to Seattle to avoid the (boring) I-5 ride again, which I know is better in snow conditions.

I'm planning on going up US 97 starting in Weed and continuing on up past the Columbia to Ellensberg and then westward down I-90 into Seattle. I know this is at higher elevations and further inland, both of which raise the possibility of icey road conditions. But if I drive only during daylight hours and am reasonably carfeful, is the a viable alternative?

Note: Thanks to Jim and Laurie and to C-Bill, I have very good on line sources of current conditions for both these road choices. I'm driving a Durango with 4WD and moderate M + S tires and have cable chains. Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe; it sounds like your vehicle and you are equipped, so you shouldn’t have any trouble making the trip on the route you described. US97 can be treacherous at times also. Three weeks ago, I was in Bend and on the way home there was white out conditions between Bend and Madris.
If the passes in Washington get a lot of snow, you can take the I-84 cutoff in The Dalles and go along the Columbia River to I-205 then north to I-5. This will put you on I-5 just north of Vancouver. Sounds like time isn’t an issue with you but this will also save you several hours of travel time.
Continuing north from Goldendale on US97, you will have two minor passes to go over also. Satus pass (3116’) and Manastash Ridge (2519’).
You probably have the link but just in case you don’t, here is the Washington State DOT web page for the States passes.

Good luck on your trip.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:01 am; edited 1 time in total
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

I have driven that route east of the Cascades in winter, and if there is not any significant compact snow and ice to deal with, it is a good route. Pay attention to the weather a couple days before you leave to make sure there are no big systems predicted.

Also, avoid the Columbia River Gorge between Hood River/The Dalles and Portland if there is any chance of freezing rain. That corridor regularly gets nailed in winter, as interior air (i.e., very cold air) slides westward under an advancing warm, moist air mass which is the forerunner of a wet, warmer system. Many times, returning from eastern WA/OR to Astoria, I have elected to go up and around Mt. Hood on Hwy 35/26 to avoid the Gorge. It can be really nasty.

The other bugaboo is Snoqualmie Pass, when a snowy system hits that part of the NW. Listen on the radio for warnings and reroute in Oregon if it seems Seattle is getting snow.

Wheeler Dealer

City/Region: Wheeler, OR
Photos: Denebola
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Gresham, about 5 miles from the west end of the Columbia river gorge. It's snowing rather hard with about 30 mph sustained winds and gusts to 50 mph. Outside temp is 28 degrees and wind chill is in the pucker range.

Sandy river steelhead season is on!!

Jon[/img]

TyBoo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We made it just fine. Got to my dad's house about 10:00 with the sun glaring, left an hour or so later under cloudy skies. Drove all the way home on dry roads only to see on the news that the storm hit Portland early and iced it all up. We done good. It's 42º and dry at the coast. I sure hope Tim isn't sorry he took off at noon.
Lynn Marie

City/Region: Redmond
C-Dory Year: 1997
Photos: Lynn Marie
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel sorry for Tim, he was heading West at noon so we were well out of town before things got icey and dicey. We too enjoyed the sunshine all day. Got home and washed the windows, Judy's car and the truck and now I just finished the Sunday paper. Perfect day, no mishaps.

Tim
TyBoo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, good, good, Tim. I misread your earlier post and was thinking you were leaving home about noon. Should have known better. Tomorrow morning we will probably have our normal rain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: