The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Portable Refrigeration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Portable Refrigeration Reply with quote

Has anyone tried one of these instead of an ice chest. Fairly expensive but could solve the problem of ice on extended cruises. We can get about a week with our Yeti but would be nice not to have to restock with ice. Any of you electrical engineers in the group that could weigh in on the practicality of one of these units?

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/products/food-and-beverage/coolers/electric-coolers
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Against the recommendations of many reputable C-Brats I bought a Dometic last summer for the Bellingham CBGT and the following Gulf-island week-long cruise. The only reason I went with the Dometic against my better judgement was because it was the one "quality" brand/model in the size I wanted, in-stock and available for delivery in time for the trip via Amazon Prime. Poor planning on my part...decided on a Wednesday that I wanted to try one but was leaving on Friday.

Credit goes to Amazon for getting it delivered in time, and for accepting my $600 return hassle-free when I got back from the trip. It simply did not work. Even 3-4 days continuously on shore power at Bellingham, it barely kept anything cool, let alone freeze a couple of 1L bottles of water, despite following all the various recommendations and trouble-shooting guides. On 12V, all it did was drain my batteries, without cooling very much. Decided I'd rather deal with the hassles of re-stocking ice on longer cruises than deal with the Dometic. Maybe I got a defective one. But reading other comments it seems they can be problematic. And this is coming from one of the few people here who loves my Wallas heater!

If you're going to try one, look at the other brands that come recommended by Dr. Bob, Pat and Patty, and Greg L. Again, those models just weren't an option on short notice for my particular trip, but the Dometic experience soured the entire idea for me.

-Mike

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use the Norcold AC/DC fridge that came with the boat. Holds more stuff than you think and keeps everything cold. Granted the interior is oddly shaped, but having things in more smaller containers rather than a few large ones helps a lot.

For the two of us it works fine.
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Engle line of DC portable fridges/freezers. They work, but not cheap!

David
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 31 flavors of cruising, of course. We replaced the failed standard 2.3cf 12v/120v fridge with a 3.1cf Norcold that fits but required enlarging the opening (it’s only 4 screws to remove the fridge). The freezer section is now big enough to hold three 2-inch silicone ice cube trays. The larger cubes last much longer than bag crushed ice. We have two 25qt RTIC coolers, one with full ice for additional meats and one with slush ice (or just melt water) for drinks, wine, cheese, bags of salad etc. that don’t need 40 degrees to stay safe. As marina bag ice melts, we add a tray of 2 inch cubes from the freezer to each as needed and replace it in the freezer. It will re-freeze in 4 hours. We still supplement with marina bag ice as needed, but much less is needed if you freeze your own ice. A bag at Publix is $1.99, so you could buy 450 10# bags of ice for the $900 cost of an Engle.

The coolers need no plug, are easy to lift, won’t wear out, are weather and rain proof, and can be stashed out of the way on the swim platform or on the dock or roof. Downside is we can’t have any frozen food, but somehow ice cream stores are at every cruising marina. When underway, we combine the house and engine batteries so all stay charged. A Victron monitor gives amps pulled out. We are very seldom over 5 days at anchor; we both like a long hot shower every 3 days and need a pumpout every 7-10 days.

Of course, this is not ‘extended cruising’ the way the Austins have worked it out with virtually no outside support for weeks or months on end. And there are still another 29 flavors to try in between!

Safe travels with an ice cold beer at the end of your journey!

John

jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's where I tested my National Luna http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=24846&highlight=
I've had 3 two Engels and the National Luna, Most of then out there use the Danfoss compressor but Engel uses the swing compressor only one moving part. The swing compressor uses less energy. Where everything changes is how good they insulated the cabinet. National Luna mounts the fridge in a jig and injects the foam into it. If you go out and read the overlanding forums the National Luna usually wins. That being said they are the most expensive. Here's a comparison of four fridges. https://expeditionportal.com/field-tested-four-new-fridges-hit-the-market/

Here is the buyers guide from expedition portal https://expeditionportal.com/buyers-guide-portable-fridge-freezers/

Oh and I haven't missed having to go find Ice.

Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had 3 Engels of various sizes over the years on different boats, we currently are using one on our Baja cruise as a solar run freezer. We love the long term efficiency and reliability, for us worth the extra cost.

We did try a Dometic a couple of years ago and used it on our Shasta shake down last year, it worked but on solar we turn things down a little at night and up during the day. At night the Dometic actually defrosted and warmed the lowest part of the box. Not making the cut Dana gave it to her daughter for her boat as a fridge and we bought our 4th and current Engle freezer that just fits into the port side hanging locker on Sierra.

We also like our Isotherm that replaced Novacool built in fridge a little cutting the hole opening to fit the larger size but, like gulfcoast John said, 4 screws and easy. The controls are in the front and are easy to access as we turn it up and down with the solar output it has a light and a good easy locking door so it is easy to live with and a very attractive addition to the boat.

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
Sam Walker

City/Region: Wherever the RV is today
State or Province: SD
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had an Engel since 2002. The first one only lasted 17 years. (sarcasm). I bought the second one last year after the first one died. I use mine mostly for Jeeping. They draw about 2.5 amps on 12VDC. I have a single battery system with low voltage cut off to protect the starter function in my Jeep. Using the alternator on the Jeep, I have to run the rig for about 45 minutes once per day to recharge the batteries in 65-80 degree weather. I have the insulated cover to help make things more efficient. I think that I would just set up an isolated second Group 27 battery and maybe a 100 watt solar panel to support the refrigerator if I were using it on a boat.

They will refrigerate or freeze depending upon the temperature you pick. If you can or want to afford it and have sufficient battery on board to support, I would totally go for the refrigerator. I hate having my food all soggy and all that comes with the logistics of ice. I hope that this helps.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my first Norcold in the mid 1970's (At that time it was the swing motor powered unit--and eventually became a Engel, with the exact same swing motor.
I bought another one when the first one rusted out (we had it in an open runabout we cruised on for about 5 years). That was sold with my Cal 46, where it was an extra freezer for fish. It was about 10 years old then and working well. The current boat came with an Engel (exactly the same as the Norcolds above), and it was about 10 years old. It worked for a year, and then the 12 volt power supply went. It still works fine on 110 volts. Unfortunately none of the current "Engles" would fit into the cabinet where we had the slide out shelf installed.

I do like the Engel MR040F. Unfortunately it would not fit.

We had purchased a Dometic about 55 liter size mostly for Powell. Its lasted 1 week over the warrantee of 2 years--the thermistor failed. Eventually I got a replacement from Dometic, but it took months. "Not repairable". I got a new thermistor and put in in the bottom of the compartment). The replacement (a new similar Domestic) lasted 3 years of intermittent use--same problem-thermistor failed.

The Engel in the current 25 was replaced with a 12 volt only Norcold, with Danfoss compressor (about the same size as the Engelit replaced. . We also have a 65 quart ABR which seems to be doing fine and is starting its 3rd year.

I agree with Jody, that the National Luna seems like the best. There were no US dealers, now there are, and I would probably buy one currently, if I could find one which fit the space.

On the other side of the coin are the "off brands" such as Whynter. We had a dual zone which worked well on the last 22, and sold it with the boat...I understand it is still working well.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
JohnnyRambles

City/Region: Michigan/Florida
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a Dometic CFX65 in my RV for over two years now and have been very happy with the performance of it so far.

I did encounter some initial problems with the unit unexpectedly shutting off, but they were a result of my poor understanding of the settings. After consulting the manual (I should have done that first) everything runs perfectly and now my solar panels keep my ice cream frozen and my beer perfectly chilled even in the 90 degree heat. Cool
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our little engel 14 has 15 frozen bottles in it right now and we run it continously for months each year.. we use a few bottles in two cooler seats and rotate them daily for unlimited dry and cold storage for as long as we stay out. Would buy it again without hesitation.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Greg. That sounds like a great system. Ken
knewlin

City/Region: Smiley Park
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Secret of Life
Photos: Secret of Life
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use the exact system that Greg does, except using gel packs to rotate. Of course, we have one ice tray for cocktails.
We have gone three weeks without buying ice and have only had one battery issue. In the San Juans during a smoky summer we never saw the sun. The solar could not keep up while we sat on a ball for a few days.

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we had our boat, our Engel was used as just a freezer, with a small Yeti as the cooler. We rotated bottles of ice between the two so we didn’t have to rely on the garbage ice at Lake Powell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: