View previous topic :: View next topic  
PNW_Wesley

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Zenith
Photos: Zenith
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Addition of Radar and Windlass to Zenith Reply with quote

Zenith has some new toys, and I’ve put some new pictures in my album.

We now have radar and windlass.

The radar is a Garmin Fantom with an 18” dome. The 6” tower is from Scanstrut. The new Garmin 742xs is mounted to the right of the existing Garmin Echomap display. I wanted both units to be in the captain’s field of view, without obstructing visibility through the windshield.

After studying many photos of Dory’s at various speeds, and taking measurements while underway in Zenith, I chose to tilt the radar 5 degrees down, and put the dome as far forward as I could.

The windlass is a Maxwell HRC-6FF. I wanted the ability to drop and lift the anchor while standing in the berth, so I have a Maxwell AA320 wired remote which plugs into the instrument panel. To reduce the number of holes cut in the instrument panel, I chose to not install the traditional up/down switches in the panel. When I want to anchor, I use the remote, which I can do from the helm also.

I’m looking forward to playing with these new toys on my upcoming “dry run” trips to Cathlamet and Astoria.

Prior water toys:
15' Smoker Craft
14' SOAR Inflatable Kayak
18' Sea Ray
28' Bayliner
19' Smoker Craft
16' Duracraft
14' Starcraft
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wesley, Nice upgrades for sure. You are going to like having the radar (and the windlass). For PNW boating the radar is a near must. The downward tilt is interesting to me, and I am anxious to hear how that works out for you. There are times when I tilt my antennas forward (I believe it helps with a bit of increased range when up on plane), but as you know, once the radar is there, it is there, so pick whatever is the best angle and stick it.I think mine has about 2 degrees of forward-down tilt.

Did you do the install yourself or are you having (did you) have Rogers's Marine in Portland do it? It didn't look like their place in the album photo.

Looking forward to meeting in Kalama.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

PNW_Wesley

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Zenith
Photos: Zenith
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey - I had the systems installed by Portland Marine & Electronics. I am pleased with the work the tech did, and I was with him for more than an hour discussing options for component placement and wire routing. They took off $15 per hour for labor for me being a veteran.

I bought the dome and 742xs from PME, and the other components from various suppliers.

The photos were taken in front of my home.

CU soon.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wesley, Thank you for your Service. Glad you're back. Nice to know that there are businesses around who give veterans a break.

I will have to looked them up, although I have been very satisfied at Rogers.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: