View previous topic :: View next topic  
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Sam Devlin boat "TugZilla" Reply with quote

Several times a week I walk to the waterfront a couple miles from my home. Local boat builder Sam Devlin uses moorage space at a marina/brokerage I pass on my usual route. Quite often there are 3 or 4 or his boats tied up. This morning a boat Sam designed and built for himself as a working tug was there. All his boats are works of art. I thought I'd share a picture or two of "TugZilla."

One of the things that often amused and puzzled me about strangers' comments upon seeing one of my C-Dorys (particularly the CD-16) was how often they would say "It looks like a little tugboat." I never argued with them, but this, my friends, IS a little tugboat:

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all that little (at least in C-Doryland). Plans say it is 26 1/2'.

https://devlinboat.com/tugzilla-26/
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Bill. You got it. That is a "Cute Boat" even if it is a tug.

I have seen a tug type, I believe a Lord Nelson Victory Tug that cruises up in the Broughtons several times. One year I got a chance to stop and chat with the owners. Yaaahooooo, They liked my boat too. They used to have a C-Dory, and did for several years. Sorry I can't remember their names, or the tug name, but they said they often chat with C-Dory owners, mutual boat admiration, I think they called it.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos--always admired Devlin's boats. This is far more than Little: 10,600# displacement! Some heft to the"cuteness factor"!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
NORO LIM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying it's a little boat. I'm saying it's a little tugboat. And by comparison (size, draft, displacement, power, hull design, over-all appearance - you name it) a C-Dory is definitely not a tugboat, little or otherwise. That's the thing that always puzzled me about people saying a C-Dory looks like a little tugboat. "TugZilla" looks like a little tugboat. It is one. Vintage tugboat races have been held annually here in Olympia since 1974 during the Olympia Harbor Days Maritime Festival. I guarantee you that "TugZilla" is way at the small end of tugboats.

Bill
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
Not disputing that this is a very small tug boat. There are working tugs which are smaller, for example in the lumber industry. What I was referring to is the displacement; most of Devlin's boats are lighter weight. For example the closest to the C Dory 22 is the Surf Scooter 22, and displacement is slightly under 4,000# The Devlin Surf Scooter 26, is in the 5,500# displacement category, and very comparable to the C Dory 25/Venture 26. Perhaps I could have phrased my comment differently...Shocked

Apparently Devlin did not start the work on his TugZilla, but finished her out. A customer named "Tom" started when Devlin had just completed the drawings, got the hull and was partly thru, when he lost interest, and sold the uncompleted boat to Sam Devlin.. article here

I suspect that people think that the C Dory looks similar to a tug because of the lines of the pilot house, especially the eyebrow which is present in many tugs..I don't think that any of the "recreational tugs" (Ranger, Nordic, American, etc) have much of the way of resemblance to a tug either.
NORO LIM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
I certainly didn't take any offense at anything you or anyone else said! Smile
I think you are probably right about why a C-Dory reminds some people of a tug. It may be you are on to something! Sam Devlin has a self-confessed life-long fascination with tugs, and many of his boats do have cabins with eyebrows. It's just that when I think of tugs - the way the look, sound, move through the water, and what they can and cannot do, it's about impossible for me to look at my boat and think "tug."

Anyway, all of that is neither here nor there. The real reason I posted the pictures is I love Sam Devlin's boats, and TugZilla is no exception. Although Sam is well-known for his smaller, lighter weight boats, he has designed some pretty hefty craft, including this one, the "Amak 44," which has a 69 inch draft and displaces 45,000 lbs.

Nancy and Bud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
Vessel Name: Emma Mae
Photos: Emma Mae
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While in Lowe's parking lot in Melbourne Florida on our way back home with Tinker Toy, a couple stopped by to chat and his first words were "that looks like a tug boat"!

Another friend, who is a power boater with a 35' boat on Lake of the Ozarks, said the front end looked like it belonged on a sailboat.

At any rate, the looks of the C-Dory line stirs something within those who see it.

In many ways, it was the same way with our Seaward 25. Non-boaters thought it looked like the quintessential sailboat. Kids in passing cars would wave. Strangers in gas stations said "nice boat".

For me the final test is do I smile every time I see it.

For the record, I had a big grin on my face when I saw the "small tug" in this thread. It just looks right, regardless of size.

Waiting for warmer weather, currently in Denver where it is 27 degrees and lightly snowing.

Going to meet up with dgeorges to get info on how to fish the great lakes. It turns out he lives 7 minutes from my son's house.

pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
There are working tugs which are smaller, for example in the lumber industry.

In North Bentick Arm, Bella Coola, BC
[/url]

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always liked the look of "working boats" vs sleek, go-fasts. Even when I was a kid. Maybe it's from watching "Gilligan's Island". Laughing Everthing I'm drawn to looks like it could be a purse-seiner, or a gill-netter or a tug. Even in trawlers. Give me something "salty" vs something "sexy" anytime. this little tug fits the bill. The Admiral would call it "cute".

If I were a rich man:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2003/devlin-sockeye-45-3597330/

NORO LIM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
I have always liked the look of "working boats" vs sleek, go-fasts. Even when I was a kid. Maybe it's from watching "Gilligan's Island". Laughing Everthing I'm drawn to looks like it could be a purse-seiner, or a gill-netter or a tug. Even in trawlers. Give me something "salty" vs something "sexy" anytime. this little tug fits the bill. The Admiral would call it "cute".

If I were a rich man:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2003/devlin-sockeye-45-3597330/

Couldn't agree more. All of Sam Devlin's boats have a serious boat look about them. His forms are beautiful, to be sure, but only as an adjunct to the obvious functionality of his creations.

That Sockeye is a beaut! Like you say, "If I were a rich man . . ."
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was aboard one of his larger boats- probably the Sockeye 44--and the entire boat was a work of art. Looking at it, and even knowing it was a Devlin, I could not believe it was plywood. The outside was so fair and painted so well, with the rounded counter. I got a chance to talk to the "Man"--and he was most pleasant!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad that somebody likes them and has them and takes care of them. Beautiful to behold, just glad I'm not the one holden 'em. (Wood and Work both have 4 letters)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, I doubt that the boats that Devlin builds take any more work than a fiberglass boat. They have two layers of Dynel cloth set in resin and then are painted in 2 part LP paint. The interior hulls are epoxy coated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: