Purchasing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dubuque chad

City/Region: Dubuque
State or Province: IA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Laura J
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:09 am    Post subject: Purchasing Reply with quote

I have explored a lot of c-dory 22s in a quest to find a boat. A majority of those are on the market because the owners want to move up to larger boats. I am now looking for a 25. my wife is now involved, which is great, but she doesn't feel the c-dory is cozy. What have people done to make the interior more "homey", my wife would love to see.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had concerns that my wife would think the C-Dory interior was too austere. I breathed a big sign of relief when she said, "This should be easy to keep clean."

"Cozy" may have different connotations to each of us, but we did spend up to 6 months at a time onboard - generally crusing, 3 summers living aboard while working boat jobs. We felt it was important to be comfortable and have "home touches" for that much time.

We added a microwave and Keurig coffee maker. A small TV at the dinette and another one that would flip down in the v-berth (used with satellite dish/receiver). Pillows to add to the back support at the dinette (color matched, of course). A shower curtain to allow the head door to be open when showering. Comfortable chairs for the cockpit and a large cooler that we used for storage/table/additional seating. A full length carpet for the interior aisle. Other homey touches like a calendar and a couple photos. Color coordinated interior window covers. Memory foam topper for the v-berth and a color coordinated comforter. Baskets sized for the shelf in the v-berth to hold clothes.

The amount of "homey" stuff we put out depended on our use: when spending more time living in a marina, we had more stuff out. When cruising, we kept things more simple.

If you want a luxury appearing interior, you should show her a Ranger Tug. Keep in mind that those interior wood and wall coverings in there will make modifications and repairs more complex. The C-Dory suited us well during our ownership.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got a "your boat is so Cute" comment from a lady on a 75 foot sailboat at the La Paz gas dock yesterday a common occurrence. We have a couple of small oil paintings and family photos up on the walls plus teak holders all around, Dana has made the boat quite homey, just check out fuel use on our Sierra post down in Baja yesterday to prove it, also a few photos in our Sierra album.
Between Dana and I we have had a lot of boats, from 45' down, and our C-dory is a homey favorite!

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a boat designed flower vase? I know several ladies that make that a priority. Last year at our Hontoon Island gathering, Rosanne showed a folding plastic flower vase in the Galley gadget contest. The vote was solidly in favor of her vase.

Making the galley convenient and well stocked helps me enjoy longer cruises.
Joyce

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in the process of making Mistaya more homey. A few of the things that we have done is reupholster the boring seats with fabric with wilderness patterns, similar to what you would find in an RV. I build a new radio shelf out of red cedar and put more cedar over the back doors. Even more cedar is planned for this year in the interior sides so that we can add a few more hooks and fishing rod holders, but mostly to give it a more warm feeling. The white table top also has new formica on it. A C-Dory from the factory is very utilitarian, but its design also makes it easy to modify, which is the duty of every C-Dory owner.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what homey is, but we have the a header all around most of the cabin for the roll down curtains which have a neutral nautical theme. There are a few throw pillows. We have extra teak trim, and a place for spices, and other sundry in back of the galley counter. Microwave, and induction burner for cooking. We have a light blue "V" shaped fleece we use for the forward bunk cover. The entire port forward bulkhead is removed, so access to the bunk is improved, and there is better circulation.

When you add things, be sure that they are well strapped down, so as the boat rolls, things don't go flying.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another thought. Floor coverings. We have had from fake Oriental rugs to the current vinyl loop (Deckadence type) coverings. But teak--fake plastic or real laid boards with lighter wood between. Run thru some of the albums---Tinker Toy, the 19 recently sold, it an example of a boat which has been spiffied up.

In some of out boats we have had kerosene lamps--lots of brass and "old" glass type.

Of course then there is the bordello look, with red velvet. It depends on what tickles your fancy, and is practical for your use!
Dubuque chad

City/Region: Dubuque
State or Province: IA
Vessel Name: Laura J
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do people often paint the interior?
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our boat has a bright white interior. It was done by the previous owner and we really like it, brightened things up. I wish I knew what paint he used as its holding up well. We boat in some very damp areas and it makes any mold easy to see and remove, not that we get much. A C-Dory will not finish up like a Ranger Tug but can be made very comfortable. We spend over 5 months a year on ours and would not trade it for any other similar craft.

Tom and Joyce on the C-Otter
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubuque chad wrote:
Do people often paint the interior?

I painted mine. I put Hy-Tech SC#1000 Thermal/Sound Suppression Coating and then painted over it with latex paint from HD. Still looks great after 6 years.

This album shows the end result and a comparison of new finish vs. the original

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2594&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: