HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Should I Get a C-Dory?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nordmann

City/Region: Lake Tapps
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback. I like the idea of a dual axle aluminum trailer with hydraulic brakes, that sounds like a great way to go. Good to hear so many stories of similar tow vehicles making it work, albeit carefully (which is no problem for me...it's the "journey not the destination" type of thing).

Great points on either side of the dual engines vs. single with a kicker. No wonder I didn't find the one single answer in my prior research on this site! To each his own, for sure.

And thanks Richard for the advice on the 19 ft Angler (you too BigO) but I'm inclined to go with the larger cabin and galley for those overnighters...increases the odds dramatically of having my
Admiral along to keep the bed warm at night. She's great with a camping stove with a tent, but on a boat I'm not so sure!

Now the hunt for the 22 continues...

Current and Previous Toys:
2006 18 Bayliner Bowrider
1991 21 Maxum
1976 18 Sidewinder
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I Get a C-Dory? Reply with quote

Nordmann wrote:
I think I should get a C-Dory. I've been researching alternatives to my current cookie-cutter and everything keeps coming back to a 22 Cruiser.

Truth be told, the last time I waterskied, Apple had just introduced the iPhone...yet I hang on to my current boat like these last hairs on my head. But my wife and I mainly use it for crabbing and, after taking a bathtub of green water over the bow last summer (again) I know it's time to grow up. So, not only do I continue to come back to the 22 Cruiser, but I've spent hours on this C-Brats site and what a treasure trove! Deep V versus modified, HP, trim tabs, tips on how to skipper...it's all here, not to mention what seems like a bunch of great people! Very cool. But a couple things I can't seem to find:

1. My tow vehicle (2018 Kia Sorento) has a tow rating of 5,000 lbs. Would I be biting off too much with a 22 Cruiser? I still have retirement to save for so I'd likely be looking for a late 2000s Cruiser, if that matters on weight.

2. I'd rather not hear a small craft advisory with only one engine. I read that many of you have 10 HP kickers, is that enough to keep my bow where I want it in a blow? Should I be looking for a single 90 or 115 with a kicker, or two 50s? Is the late 2000s 22 Cruiser even designed to handle two motors?

I sure hope the answers work out in my favor...this seems like a great group and of course the salty look of the CD means I will never yawn when I look at my boat again. Thanks for any and all input.

You're close to my old stomping grounds (Enumclaw), I'm in Gig Harbor now. When I had C-Miner we towed that boat (22') all over Washington with a 2005 Jeep Cherokee with Hemi and had zero zero zero issues. at any speed. I took it to the san juans many times, as well as multiple trips over the pass to Chelan and even Mar Don. Toured the puget sound from northern most to southern most point.

That boat was powered with a 90hp outboard which was a fantastic motor. The previous owner was Digger on this forum, who is a wealth of information and set that boat up beautifully. the kicker was a 9.9hp and also ran great. we were spoiled!

Life changed and after 3 very adventurous seasons (with 30 nights per year on the boat) we did have to sell it and I'm finally back in the market myself.

I'm not too worried about the tow vehicle as I know even a Jeep towed just fine, however I am of the mindset that twins would be very nice for adventuring. One time our big motor did go down on us while we were about a mile out from the marina. That's not far, and the 9.9hp kicker got me back just fine. However I took many trips from Anacortes up and around the islands and I'd prefer to have a little more back up power if that were to happen in those waters. I have seen some high seas (for me) kick up while I was out there and my 9.9 would not have been a pleasant way to limp back home.

DuckDogTitus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordmann wrote:
Thanks everyone for all the great feedback. I like the idea of a dual axle aluminum trailer with hydraulic brakes, that sounds like a great way to go. Good to hear so many stories of similar tow vehicles making it work, albeit carefully (which is no problem for me...it's the "journey not the destination" type of thing).

oh yeah and I wont' do single axle trailer. was towing dad's Lund 22 fisherman up to Lake Washington one day many years ago when we blew a tire on 167 during morning rush hour. Having that tandem axle able to safely limp off the highway was very very nice. I like redundancy because things will break, things will go down, having a backup is nice. 2 motors and 2 axles for me.
Nordmann

City/Region: Lake Tapps
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dustin for all the great input. I'm leaning toward the twins...both on the engines and definitely on the axles. It looks like you canvased the state, good to know!

Jason
DuckDogTitus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordmann wrote:
Thanks Dustin for all the great input. I'm leaning toward the twins...both on the engines and definitely on the axles. It looks like you canvased the state, good to know!

Jason

Oh yes, spent many, many nights on that boat! Great machine. Caught mackinaws on Chelan and cooked them right there on the boat while we were still fishing for more.
CaptMac

City/Region: Amelia Island / Jacksonville
State or Province: FL
Photos: Blue Manatee
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Should I get a C-Dory?

Answer: Only if you're going to get a boat.

What's great about a C-Dory is that you don't really have to use it to enjoy it. You can come to this forum and talk about them or just go outside and admire how nice it looks it looks on your trailer and either choice will give you the same effect.

The nice thing about outboards nowadays is that they seem really dependable at least compared to the old days of the loud two-strokes. Even the new two-strokes nowadays seem better built than those of old.

With the exception of my Grand Dad's old 25 hp Johnson with the white cowling and orange (black?) letters and logo on the cowling. It was a pull-start on a small aluminum v-hull boat. He took that thing everywhere, the jetties and especially Striper fishing in the brackish water in the river. He swore it never let him down.

I'm pretty sure it was a 70's model. I'm remember it would always start on the second pull, the white smoke billowing out would kill a bee hive, made the loudest noises cold then would sound decent when after warming up. Or, maybe i just got used to it by then.

I have a picture of that boat and motor somewhere. The image of Grandpa pulling in a large Black Drum at the jetties one hot summers day while wearing his Safari hat is indelibly inscribed and so I will try to upload it when i find it.

http://www.floundergigging.com
Flounder Gigging Charters
"The Adventure of a Night-time"
904-556-0230 Cell/Text

Last edited by CaptMac on Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:31 am; edited 3 times in total
CaptMac

City/Region: Amelia Island / Jacksonville
State or Province: FL
Photos: Blue Manatee
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wups duplicate post
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptMac wrote:
Quote:
Should I get a C-Dory?

Answer: Only if you're going to get a boat.

What's great about a C-Dory is that you don't really have to use it to enjoy it. You can come to this forum and talk about them or just go outside and admire how nice it looks it looks on your trailer and either choice will give you the same effect.

(Some stuff cut.)

CaptMac, You forgot the CDDF (C-Dory Delay Factor) part. He could also hook it to the tow vehicle and drive around and stop at gas stations, Walmarts, and Loves Truck stops. One stop at each place could take a full day. Don't have to drive far, or wash the boat down after the tow, but it will attract a ton of attention.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Kars10

City/Region: Monroe
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Lexi-Coho
Photos: Kars10
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a CD22 cruiser for sale at Sportcraft Marina in Portland now. Just showed up last week when i was there picking up my boat from service. You'd have to call them cause that's all the info I have. Just passing a message. Tell them Karsten said hi!

Karsten Aagaard
Kars10

City/Region: Monroe
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Lexi-Coho
Photos: Kars10
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is YES! I researched many boats coming to the PNW with a 17' Bass boat, 1.5' freeboard trying to navigate the sound in 2'-4' angry waves. I too, took a full bow of green water onto my lap, leaving my pants "brown" in the back side. My kids stopped going out with me because they said they didn't want to die! That was enough for me to get a better boat. Everything pointed to C-Dory for our family. We've had ours for 6 years now and still enjoy it as it was our first day. I just upgraded from Honda twin 40's to Honda twin 60's thanks to Jay - Hunkydory's great info and influence. I'll be posting data on that soon once I get out. I do charity crabbing trips to raise money at my work and sometimes take people who have never been on the water and they can't believe how safe and comfortable they feel. My favorite part of owning this boat is the compliments I get from anywhere I sail/tow it. My best emotional story told to me was a guy in a Boston Whaler that capsized in a storm. He was rescued by a C-Dory. This site is of course an amazing place to just hang out, read, and learn a ton. Best ever. Good luck in your search and if you need to see or want a ride this spring, I put in Everett Harbor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: