The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

downrigger location & opinions on best puller.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmcminn

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1992
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Polū
Photos: bmcminn
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: downrigger location & opinions on best puller. Reply with quote

Our boat came with downriggers, but they had been removed and the holes filled. They had been located forward of the lazarette but I've seen other boats with them aft of the laz hatch.

Could I mount one on the port quarter and another closer to the helm, stbd side, as almost all of this will be done solo?

Please share your thoughts...

Also, are the scotty 2500 pullers totally useless for 30lb shrimp pots at 250'?
jakevolvo@yahoo.com

City/Region: Orting
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Told Ya So
Photos: C-Told Ya So
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a brutus pot puller, it's amazing for a couple more bucks. Dont have the hand free device but that looks handy to
Standas

City/Region: Poulsbo
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C -Time
Photos: C -Time
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the Ace line puller. I found the best price at Johns sporting goods and they included the hands free device. The biggest reason I would recommend Ace is how they responded when I had a issue with the motor after it was out of warranty , they went above and beyond to make it right and no charge to me. The company is located in Canada but they have a drop off location in Bellingham.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The biggest reason I would recommend Ace is how they responded when I had a issue with the motor after it was out of warranty , they went above and beyond to make it right and no charge to me.

I had the same experience. I'm very happy with the Ace Brutus.

BTW, I have the hands-free device. I like it and wouldn't give it up (I single hand a lot), but the device is not something that just allows you to "walk away". OTOH, it does act as a sort of "third hand" which can be very useful.

P.S. I'd like one of the big guys with the pulley on the end of a pole so you can get the pot up to eye level and swing the arm (with the pot) into the boat, but those pullers are twice the cost.....the Ace is enough for me.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't guess as to what is the best but I can say I am happy with the EZ Pull davit and electric puller.

I bought a foot switch that is designed for electric trolling motors and have it mounted at the base of the davit post. It is much easier for me to control the line than simply letting it go slack around the wheel and reaching for the main switch. It also makes it safe for me to let my 6 year old great grandson do the pulling if I have instant control of the motor. I don't have the hands free device but had intended to fabricate one. Turns out I don't miss it.

Tosca is right - they ain't cheap. This is the fifth season for ours and we have the price down to 71¢ per crab kept. We use heavy round pots - five of them - and use a ring while we are anchored. Since the electric gizmo is there, of course I use it to pull the ring up also. That saves a lot of wear and tear (literally) on my bum shoulder.

I am going back and forth to the boat today working on a project so next trip down I'll look at my chart and count up how many trips we have made with the puller in service and tell you pretty close to how times it has pulled up a pot from 40' - 50' deep. That will make that 71¢ per crab seem real cheap. We'll get it down to four bits next season.

I can't help you much with the downrigger question. Mine is just forward of where the lazerette would be if I had lazerettes. Maybe a bit more aft. I don't know if that's the best place but I only have the one and I make it work. Starcraft Tom and Rogerbum are experts on the things, and even they can't agree on what is best. They argue about it every time it comes up on here.

Teufelshunde

City/Region: Sebastopol
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Fish Wisher
Photos: Fishwisher
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: downrigger location & opinions on best puller. Reply with quote

bmcminn wrote:
Our boat came with downriggers, but they had been removed and the holes filled. They had been located forward of the lazarette but I've seen other boats with them aft of the laz hatch.

Could I mount one on the port quarter and another closer to the helm, stbd side, as almost all of this will be done solo?

I installed a Cisco fishing system - www.ciscofishingsystemsltd.com

Works great and allows you to mount your downriggers/ pot puller or anything that mounts to your Scotty or Cannon plates on a aluminum channel where your able to slide forward or aft. I mounted mine just forward of the tank fill caps.
As far as the pot puller I have the Ace which came with the hands free device. I did have problems with the rope slipping under a loaded crab pot, I contacted the company and they sent me free of charge a new plate that had a rough surface similar to a bed liner and now it works great. Impressed with the customer service.
I’ll post some photos if anyone is interested.

Teufelshunde

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link to where I too found the best deal as mentioned by Standis - https://johnssportinggoods.com/product-category/crabbing-shrimping/crabshrimp-pot-puller/[url][/url]
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakevolvo@yahoo.com wrote:
...hand free device but that looks handy to

I got one a few years ago. Makes the process easier. I just put a large, round plastic storage tub under the puller and it does most of the work. It will "slip" once in a while, but in general, it beats being bent over all the time. Once your line has been properly looped and any twists are removed, it will fall into the round tub nicely, like what you see on The Deadliest Catch in their "coilers". Tub will hold at least three 400' lines easily. I drilled holes in the bottom so any water can escape.

dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding d-riggers and their location(s): See my photo album for multiple photos on what I feel is the best location when fishing by yourself. These are located on the bow side of the Lazerette(s) for best access. My two Scotty 1099's are fully accessible at these locations.

I've run these for hundreds of hours as shown with no "wants or warrants" to change them. I did change out the stock two foot arms to extended arms to upgrade the reach on them. this is especially important if you run the weights deep so that you don't get the cables hitting each other... they will break and it is a very violant break at that (had it happen to me in Monterey Bay canyon @ 200 ft down).

I have my house battery between the gas tanks under the motor well. I run the power to a fuse box in the starboard lazerette and then to two power plugs under the two horizontal storage areas on the sides. Works great. The Scotty 1099's will handle 16 lb weights with no problems. Ran these heavies while fishing the gr8 lakes for 10 years with now amperage issues pulling them up and down; in some case down to 150 ft multiple times for 5-7 hrs.

When I fished in CA off Bodega Bay for many years, I used SS cable with a black box set to .65 V and did great sucking salmonids and sharks into the gear.

Good luck with your decision.

CD 22 Cruiser "FRESH FISH: 2018 to present.
CD 16 Angler "OPA": 2013 to 2019.
Teufelshunde

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote] When I fished in CA off Bodega Bay for many years, I used SS cable with a black box set to .65 V and did great sucking salmonids and sharks into the gear.

Good luck with your decision.[/quote]

Just starting to fish Bodega with my own boat - fished in others for a few years and can’t wait for salmon season to start!
what do you mean by Black box set to .65 V ?
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A black box electrifies your d- rigger cables to attract fish to your cables and consequently, your lures. West coast commercial guys use this tec all the time because it flat out works.

See: https://www.protroll.com/black-box-technology for complete descrtipn. This is not a joke, and I don't represent the manufacturer.

The whole idea revolves around electrolysis and your boat. Read the manual, and do your own research and you'll see what I mean .

BTW: tip on where the salmon hang out off Bodega; look for the off color dirty water. The bait feeds in this food rich water, and hides from the predators their too. The best locations are about ten miles out of Bodega where the deep water wells up into the shallower water. Your only problem will be the seals and sea lions following you out and stealing your fish.

Best lures: Apex in watermelon pattern OR rolled bait off a Franko Bullet Rotator (FBR).

Lifesaving tip: NEVER TAKE YOUR EYES OFF THE OCEAN...THE ROGUE WAVES WILL KILL YOU.

Tight lines...
localboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgeorges wrote:
Lifesaving tip: NEVER TAKE YOUR EYES OFF THE OCEAN...THE ROGUE WAVES WILL KILL YOU!

Anyone who grew up in Hawai'i and spent lots of time near the ocean knows the adage "never turn your back to the sea". It's ingrained from a young age and even the ancient Hawai'ians taught it to their keiki.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: downrigger location & opinions on best puller. Reply with quote

bmcminn wrote:

The BEST puller is Electra-dyne it will be the last one you will ever need. I can haul 5 pots & 1,200 ft. of line in 5 minutes.There is nothing wrong with the EZ-pull either. Mount your downriggers where they work for you. Thumbs Up Mr. Green Wink
Teufelshunde

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgeorges wrote:
A black box electrifies your d- rigger cables to attract fish to your cables and consequently, your lures. West coast commercial guys use this tec all the time because it flat out works.

See: https://www.protroll.com/black-box-technology for complete descrtipn. This is not a joke, and I don't represent the manufacturer.

The whole idea revolves around electrolysis and your boat. Read the manual, and do your own research and you'll see what I mean .

BTW: tip on where the salmon hang out off Bodega; look for the off color dirty water. The bait feeds in this food rich water, and hides from the predators their too. The best locations are about ten miles out of Bodega where the deep water wells up into the shallower water. Your only problem will be the seals and sea lions following you out and stealing your fish.

Best lures: Apex in watermelon pattern OR rolled bait off a Franko Bullet Rotator (FBR).

Lifesaving tip: NEVER TAKE YOUR EYES OFF THE OCEAN...THE ROGUE WAVES WILL KILL YOU.

Tight lines...

Black box is interesting for sure - I’m going to check more into it thanks for forwarding the link - are you talking 10 miles due West? That’s in 300 ft + water ( just looked at navionics site )
I use the same tackle for salmon Thumbs Up
localboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://shop.electra-dyne.com/Haulers_c3.htm

Serious pullers, for professional use. No doubt they work, but cost way too much for a recreational boater IMO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: