Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just returned from a few days up at Ensenada Grande anchorage on Isla Partida abot 25 miles to the north. It was mostly cloudy and breezy at times with the wind clocking around so that last night was a good test for our new Rocna Vulcan anchor, it worked like the old Spade we loved, it set instantly an never moved, we think it worked better than our previous Rocna roll bar anchor. The 706 III G Icom SSB/ Ham radio also worked fantastic so we could get our weather forecasts and talk to other people on boats up and down all of mainland Mexico to the top of the Sea of Cortez.
Isla Espritu Santu and Partida are part of a string of islands stretching for hundreds of miles up the Sea of Cortez from La Paz. They are all part of an ecological reserve system that protects the native birds like the Blue Footed Boobys and other wildlife. We heard some nocturnal seals breathing nights near the boat, also some rays jumping up out of the water and flying a few feet. No whales or dolphins this trip. The islands are multi colored volcanic rock, very rugged and broken up with bonsai like trees and cactus growing right down to the waters edge. Most bays are open on 1 side and if the wind changes you can have a rough night so weather forecasts are a must so you can pick a comfortable 24 hour Anchorage. In the sunlight the water in the anchorages is that beautiful tropical electric bluegreen. The lower sea's tides are modest so they have virtually no impact on a cruise. We also love our small squarish Magma grill, we BBQed up some of the huge local shrimp for a real feast one night, they were great with baked potatoes, cucumber salad and a good bottle of wine.
We are back in La Paz as a norther is forecast for the next few days, we have plenty to do trying to get the Simrad chartplotter talking nice to the Suzuki's network. Also my new aft bilge pump and Water Witch solid state switch quit working so I have to sort that out, that hatch is to small to work through so next summer I am going replace it with a larger one so my ham hands will fit through!
Anyway, we are having a great time and Sierra is also!

Adios amigos!

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's project was to sort out the non working aft bilge pump. The Rule 1500 had failed and the solid state Water Witch switch was good. I walked across the street from the marina to the little marine store and they had a shelf full of Rule pumps and the prize was a new Rule "gold" pump that would snap right into the old strainer, the gold puts out 2000 gph in almost the same size and has a 5 year warranty. This is the pump I wish I had in the first place I hope unlike the first one this one will at least last out it's warranted period. I did pay a premium as the duty here is high but it was easier than getting a a pump at home, I had all my connectors and wiring supplies in my spares kit but I'm sure they also have it all here also. Nice to strike gold across the street and the young lady was very helpful.
Now Dana has been studying the Simrad manuals so we can call them to see why it is blanking out our Suzuki's NEMA 2000 network, they are operating fine separately but I am missing the Simrads fuel computer.....Ahhhhhh the joys of boating in paradise!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah, nice find on that Rule pump. Glad you got that knocked out. The islands and wildlife sound great. The weather sounds like what I have heard about before and frankly, one of the reasons I have not really considered cruising there. Good to have good current weather forecasts and reports. Thanks for keeping us up on you asventure.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, I'm sure you would have no trouble cruising here, but it is only for experienced boaters. The summer is very calm and when the fishermen come down but it can be very hot. In about a month the temps will rise into the mid 80s and the northers will go away leaving the local mountain winds. Cruising down here is all about knowing what anchorages are best each day for the forecasted conditions. After the first winter in the Sea it became easy to be at the right place at the right time. All in all I think no harder than the tides (not a factor here) and weather in the PNW.
This is why we are considering asking if a few experienced c-brats might want to share the Sea and our knowledge for an adventure down here next year if we don't go back to Dana's old area in the Florida keys, it would make it much smoother sailing.
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah, I have to admit it does sound (so) tempting. I am watching with interest.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LA PAZ has cleared up, the high off California diverted clouds south for the last week,still in the 70s but everyone here thinks that is cold, we had so many storms in Big Sur last year it was hard to work on the boat, this year when we are gone, they are enjoying perfect weather this month on the ranch, I'm glad to be here as it is still warmer.

Dana spent half a day going through the manual and menus on the Simrad chartplotter with no luck while I was putting the new bilge pump in. She found nothing in regards to why the Simrad wasn't talking to the Suzuki's guage and blanking it out. We ended up calling customer service, the tech figured that the Simrad had somehow had a "soft reset" and gave us a half dozen menu commands to put it to relearning it's Suzuki program, problem fixed, actually very easy, I wish they would include something so simple in the trouble shooting section so we could have easily solved the problem without a call. I guess that is the new way but I like to solve my own problems, it gives me more confidence in remote areas without cell service.
Sierra is is back ready to go as I don't need the Smartgauge that Balmar says won't work with my Suzuki, the Blue Seas digital voltmeter works great for me.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got the problemo solved. Enjoy the "cold" weather... Wink
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went out to Valentine's dinner at a nearby restaurant tonight, covered but open to the bay, beautiful sunset. They had a nice band playing for dancing, we hear so many great guitarists down in Mexico, this band was 2 guitars and a drummer. They played a different arrangement of Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight" that would make anyone cry. About half the tables had local Mexicans and half gringo cruisers. The gringos in there casual shirts, shorts and flip flops. The Mexican men a little more formal but still casual. But the ladies! Dressed to the 9s, stiletto heels, big done up hair, slinky red dresses and a lady in a form fitting red pantsuit that could give Jennifer Lopez a run for her money. The Mexicans all seemed to be beautiful dancers. No way was I going out on the floor, Dana did a stint as a professional dancer so I know she would have held up her end, but me no way! What a great valentines treat. I am always amazed at how, on one hand how hard working Mexicans are, and on the other how friendly and fun loving they are.
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

La Costa? Great steamed fish filets there too.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alain, yes, La Costa's Valentine night special a full dinner with dessert and a glass of wine a choice of chicken Marsala or lasagna, (300 pesos each and a great band) my chicken was great and Dana thought the lasagna was one of the best ever. We will go over again on a regular menu night and I will try the steamed fish. In Baja restaurants the fish seems to be always downright amazing, thanks for the tip!
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK then, you all are making me drool all over my laptop, and just sounds like you had a great night all around. Stay safe and enjoy.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micahbigsur,

God (whom I do not believe in), I wish I was rafted up to you!!
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean......it could happen.....we may invite some c-brats along next trip down.....if the Creeks don't rise!

Or, how about all our plans are written in the sand at low tide....

Or, men make plans, God laughs!
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woke up to a calm 80° day, looks good till late Thursday so we are heading out to the islands.......Adios
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaya con dios...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: