Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimmie

City/Region: Glen Allen
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your posts and pics. Looks like a nice time.
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah, I am not in La Paz anymore, I'll send you a PM.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we've arrived in La Paz, there was about 40 miles of left over wind slop but not to bad held 20 knots most of the way, 125 miles in a little under 6 hours, 68 gallons of fuel. We decided to do it in 1 day as the forecast was for a bit more head wind the next couple of days (plus we walked into the the bar at Marina de La Paz in time for the super bowl kickoff, crazy timing) it was a grey and drizzly day here as a weather system is going through all the way to So Cal. We had to navigate with the I pad as the Simrad chartplotter dicided not to talk to my Suzuki network and in fact blanked out all data on the Suzuki's computer guage screen, after I did a total reset I got the Suzuki's data back but it only has basic info gph and gallons used and remaining the chartplotter calculates the range and efficiency, we had to keep it off. Any ideas why the chartplotter might not work in the Suzuki's network all of a sudden? Anyway not a bad run otherwise and looking forward to the end of PNW drizzle!
1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a great run. What did you do for the "check in" at La Paz--were the papers stamped at the border in lieu of a Zarpe? Or was there a check in when you launched at Puerto Escondido, and then a check out? We used to sail all of the way straight to Cabo or even straight to La Paz, but some of the more recent postings suggested that one had to stop at the first available port of entry, Ensenada on the Pacific side. I had wondered how that worked with a trailerable boat...?

What RPM were you running? I realize that the boat is very heavy, but it seems as if you are getting slightly less than 2 miles per gallon... Have a Margarita for us! Enjoy, thanks for the great thread!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, we did use a bit more gas than normal, didn"t top up here (mistake 1) and we might have used more than we thought fiddling around in Monterey so we might have used a bit less on our run today. We are extra heavy as we brought some extra gas and just in general, we should have had a diver give the bottom a polish as the boat is always in the water, the anti fouling was working well but there could have been a little fuzz (mistake 2). But the reason we decided to do it in a day was tomorrow we were looking at a 10 Knot headwind and downhill from there for the next few days. There was a 1-2 foot sloppy chop left over from 20 knots north yesterday with an occasional small Whitecap after about 25 miles out. It was really annoying to have the new chartplotter die this morning, it has a really good efficiency/range computer but we did our best with a calculator. ( missing fuel logged data, depth and all the handy stuff we take for granted nowadays). We were cruising at 20-21 knots (nautical mph) most of the way and down a bit to 19 as it got a bit rougher at around 4,900-5,000 RPM. We have another prop with a small amount more pitch that I am going to try on the 25 mile trip up to Isla Partida next weekend if the forecast holds.
We showed all of our boat import paperwork and registration at the border but did have to do the real check in with the harbor master at Escondido, we checked out yesterday and will check in at the Marina here tomorrow, very easy if you have all your paperwork perfect. (Thank you nurse Dana, I am useless at that). All in all the boat did well in the slop the weight kept the pounding tolerable and we ended up with approximately 20 gallons+ left in reserve.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also enter full into our Suzuki's fuel computer at 95 gallons instead of 100 as we have no clue how far down it will actually pull gas out. Unfortunately I didn't look at the fuel used before I shut down at the gas dock so we are kind of guessing on the fuel used since we didn't top up the tank that we had filled at the gas dock in Monterey. All my references to miles are to Nautical miles which of course are longer and based on dividing the minutes of north, south, on a chart. I will try to be more careful keeping track of all the numbers!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Micah.
I am sort of comparing your boat to Tom and Joyce's Sea Otter, with the same engine, and also well equipped. But it appears that your boat is definitely heavier. I guess I consider a "golden" goal is a 200 mile range. I had to cut to displacement speed for part of that when we were in AK, but had the 130 Honda, a far inferior motor....

It would be interesting to see what the numbers will be with the more aggressive prop.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, we could have easily left the extra 12 gallons of fuel and 10 of water off the boat, too cautious on our first long trip, the 55 liter icechest in the cockpit is getting way downsized. We did have some Whitecaps on the last half which didn't help, we will work on a diet for Sierra and better efficiency calculations if we ever get the Simrad chartplotter fixed, and the prop change to our spare with more pitch may help. I need to gain about 20% more range to meet the 200 statuate mile goal as we only work with the longer nautical miles. Before I asked you here what the most efficient speed was I think we calculated a choppy trip across Monterey bay was better at 16-17 knots. I doubt we will ever travel at this speed unless we are in a short weather window again, it was fun once.
Adios.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Simrad working with the Suzuki network disconnected.

I'm afraid my Balmar Smartgauge experiment is a failure the high charge voltage of the Suzuki set off the hi voltage alarm notice and over time I think it decided that the system was a 24 volt and is reading 25 volts no matter how many times I try to reset it to proper values. (Yes I checked the batteries are at normal voltage) The volts are auto selected so nothing in the set menu to set battery voltage.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just finished a long walk down the La Paz's waterfront malecon which is now all redone with new concrete walkways and a 2 way bike path beside the roadway. All the families were out walking and in the large shoreside plaza. They even have a new combo family and skate park across the street from the water. A lot of nice yachts are on moorings just offshore making the whole scene very picturesque. Today was a national holiday, there Constitution signing day and why it was so family festive.
There is something special about warm evenings listening to the breeze in the palm trees while having dinner outside by the harbor full of boats, Dana keeps pinching herself to see if it is all real and that we are back. It did take a lot of work to change our boating MO around so we could be here again.
This marina has a lot of huge motor yachts waiting for absent owners, our C-dory is a tiny speck next to them. Many of the restaurants feature locally caught fish and shrimp that is amazingly delicious, and reasonable unlike central California. La Paz was founded to serve the pearl diving industry in the 1800s and is still very sea oriented with diving and boat tours out to see the wildlife, including the large whale sharks.

Buenas noches amigos!
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang...I awoke to 30F and a frozen patrol car. I like your day better... Laughing Cool
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Localboy, darn, it looks like you are 10 months 25 days or so over when you could be here next year. It sounds much to cold for a Hawaiian boat where you are....
It's a bit cool today here, mid 70s but should warm up soon. Next Pacifico I will put in an appeal to pacify the retirement gods for you so you also can head south.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Micah, any help you can provide would be appreciated. Yes, it's way too cold here for a local kid who was born & raised in Hawai'i. To me, this is not "home"...it's just where I live. Wink

I love Mexico...the food, the people, the weather, the beaches. I have been down there only four times in my life but enjoyed each and every trip.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday Ann and Doug, here in La Paz on their Valiant 40, heard of our arrival here on the morning net and stopped by. They live in Maryland and own the CD25 "Minnow" that they cruise the Chesapeake bay on. They have a Spectra watermaker on their Valiant and were interested in seeing how we had fit it into our CD. They love the Chesapeake and how great their CD is for exploring it, saying we should visit the area they think is so beautiful. Dana spent a year nearby on her trimaran in the mid 70s so they had a lot to talk about.
The trouble with owning a C-dory is that there are more cool places to easily visit than we can possibly ever get to....
Adios compadres!
Gilbertsons

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Little Bit
Photos: Little Bit
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah, I have a question about the nearby islands to La Paz. Specifically Isla Espiritu Santo and Isla Partida. Are you planning to visit and overnight among these islands? I know it a National Park and a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. Last time was in La Paz I know there were many ecotours offered to visit these.

However, do you know if there are anchoring restrictions or special permits needed if you want to take your own boat an anchor overnight, hike and explore the many coves?

Thanks,
Scott
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: