City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMacLeod,
I don’t think anyone has successfully kept TC255 fishboxes dry, even with new boats with new gaskets. One posted about having a vacuum effect when trying to open the lid (running the macerator pump with the lid closed could do that) and water STILL got in.

My PO drilled holes in the bottom of the channel around the lid perimeter but still had water collect in the fish boxes. How water can ‘climb’ uphill out of that channel rather than run into the bilge through those holes is a mystery. Some suspect a ‘capillary action’ is to blame.

I personally think that the Universe is entitled to have it’s mysteries, and this is just one more of the major ones.

As long as you NEVER put fish in there, the easiest fix for cruisers is to simply disconnect each fishbox drain hose at the macerator input and lay it flat in the bilge so all fishbox rainwater drains into the bilge to be taken care of by the auto bilge pump as needed. This is easy to reverse at any time. We store the stern anchor, line, fenders, engine flush hose, etc on a Dri-Deck layer so anchor doesn’t bang up the fishbox.

My observation over the past 7 years has been that nuisance amounts of rain or washdown water prefers to dribble into the fishboxes rather than finding its’ way out via the two aft scuppers. This invites the worst-case concern about what would happen if the TC255 cockpit is pooped by a large wave (hopefully with the cabin door closed). If it didn’t capsize, how much would exit by the scuppers vs via closed and latched fishboxes? I suspect that the extra weight on the fishbox lids might prevent much further intrusion compared to nuisance water and that most would exit out the scuppers. I hedge my bet with Rule 2700g/h Gold bilge pumps replaced every 5 years.

One owner rigged a float switch into the fishbox (would require drilling a hole in the fishbox itself for the wiring). All such switches allow ½ to 1 inch of water to remain, and the switch itself takes up room and is subject to damage by whatever you throw in there.

I wouldn’t worry about it and instead plan the next Adventure.

But let us know if you find a better solution!

John

ricka

City/Region: Yreka
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2020
Photos: ricka
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: 2019 Tomm Cat at Three Rivers Marine Reply with quote

That seems like a fairly decent price on that TomCat with all that comes with it. We just picked our new 2020 up at NWM Jan 17 and paid just over $180000. with out the canvas or the wallas stove/heater. We did include trailer with hydraulic/electric brakes, Sea Star 360 controls, Suzuki 175s, extra water tank and the non sport model.
I have a lot to do in outfitting the boat and look forward to get her on the water.

1976 ORION TRIHULL 15
1984 BOSTON WHALER 17 MONTAUK
1996 BOSTON WHALER 21 CONQUEST
2006 BOSTON WHALER 17 MONTAUK
gulfcoast john

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,
Awesome boat, and the first 255 I've heard of with the Optimus 360 system! Tell us about it as you get familiar with it.

Today we had the bimini expert out to check our rig for a quote to add Phifertex (looks like what you chose) camper sides enclosure. On past boats, clear isinglass of any type was an expensive pain to store and use without damaging it.

If that is a GPS antenna on the mount be sure it's not in the beam of any future radar or it'll get fried. We find tucking the GPS antenna inside just under the ceiling gives a strong signal and lasts much longer when out of the weather.

We just replaced the radar mount with a 16" Seaview and light bar to get above the new 14.5" Coleman 15,000BTU rooftop AC. The Perko 1197 light will be above the max Federal hgt of 13 ft 6 inches by 5 inches. At least I can fold it over 90 degrees by loosening 4 bolts. Hope I never forget to before trailering!

Cheers!
John
ricka

City/Region: Yreka
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2020
Photos: ricka
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: TomCat Reply with quote

John ,
Thanks for the warning on the GPS antenna. It is the antenna for the optimus 360 system. I have the radar and GPS/ Chartplotter due to arrive today.
I will check with Mike at NWM about that issue as he has installed several of these units on TomCats and Seasports.
Mike did say that the optimus antenna was more accurate than garmins and that I should use it for the garmin.
Rick
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos of Rika's Tom Cat build. Gives one prospective of where the fuel tanks are located (and what may be involved in replacing them...

Good eye, John. I agree, you want that antenna well away and not in the beam of the Radar.

Good to see an appropriate sized truck for the Tom Cat. Looks like plenty of capacity and towing power! Snow...??

John are you using Phifertex instead of clear vinyl windows, or as sun shades?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gulfcoast john

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
We're just hoping for some sun (and partial wind and rain) protection. We have nylon flies but there's no good lower attachments and they billow out. Anticipate only using 1 side or aft at a time. We liked WaterBill's on his R-23 tug.
John
CaptMac

City/Region: Amelia Island / Jacksonville
Photos: Blue Manatee
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Tom Cat Reply with quote

The Tom Cat is a beautiful boat but how much could be saved with an excellent condition used C-Dory?
http://www.floundergigging.com
Flounder Gigging Charters
"The Adventure of a Night-time"
904-556-0230 Cell/Text
ChapaRRal Cock

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Knotty Lady
Photos: Knotty Lady
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: tomcat canvass Reply with quote

I am looking at adding a camperback to my tomcat would love to hear how you designed it rika and who made it? I am also in the PNW. I appreciate any assistance.
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt. Mac, that is true of any model or brand of boat. But if nobody bought new ones then there wouldn't be any used ones! The new boat buyers keep the entire industry alive, and we should thank them. So if you can afford it, indulge!
gulfcoast john

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptMac,
I deeply respect the choices JMCLEOD and RICKA made to buy new Tom Cat 255’s if that is what they wanted.

I believe that you are wrong if you think that buying a used TC255 is like buying a used Contender or a used Everglades or a used Glacier Bay or World Cat or any of the other commodities boats. C-Dory is a niche market, and for good reason!

We flew to NC with cash to purchase our 2010 TC255 and hired a pro to tow it back to our home on the Gulf Coast.

The TC255 debuted in 2006. Discovery crew bought theirs then, and I hope they are still happily cruising on it.

The LAST ‘used’ TC255 for sale on this site was Peter and Linda Brownell’s magnificent 2009 ‘Destiny’ for a bargain $98,000 in 2015 as far as I can determine.

I am not aware of ANY TC255 that is newer than that 2009 model which sold here. Are you?

You may get too old to boat anymore before you find a bargain TC255 that’s 10 years old.

As our Surveyor told us with a straight face, ‘This boat will be around a lot longer than you two.” That was when we were in even better shape in 2013.

I happily await being told how wrong I am about this. Facts are Facts. Deal with it.
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: