hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigil, The Mustang Auto Inflate PFD's I wear on the boat do have a sling (or harness) with a "D" ring. They do not have the under the crotch strap, but do have a substantial waist band with the "D" ring.

As to doing the "throwstick" testing at the FH-CBGT, I think that is a great idea.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, Bob, and Hardee,
Excellent points.
Perhaps I did not make clear that our objection to INFLATABLE PFD’S (including with strong D rings for offshore sailing use to clip onto) is that they do not count for USCG boardings UNLESS YOU ARE WEARING THEM.

We don’t want to wear any inflatable PFD inside the cabin, esp in settled weather.

The relative advantage of the SOLAS approved Type 1 Offshore non-inflatable PFD is that we can attach them to the cockpit ready for instant use and be legal without WEARING it. It has a ‘lifting loop’ permanently attached as shown, but it doesn’t look very impressive for lifting one of us from the bracket with Armstrong ladder down.

https://www.gnarlygorilla.com/Kent-USCGSOLAS-Type-1-Vest--Orange_p_15315.html?campaign=385726187&adgroupid=1168781327133581&content=&keyword=&matchtype=e&device=c&placement=&[value]&feeditemid=&targetid=pla-4576648437231983&adposition=&msclkid=3f934cae246618b4a7f31286ca01ea53&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP%20Shopping%20-%20200.01%20-%20300.00&utm_term=4576648437231983&utm_content=G-US-CW49775%20%7C%20Bushnell%20Equinox%20Z%204.5%20x%2040mm%20Digital%20Night%20Vision%20Monocular%20%7C%20%24241

We currently think that for the price difference a SOLAS approved Type 1 Offshore non-inflatable PFD is a reasonable investment compared to a std USCG approved non-inflatable PFD.

Mark, here is your commercially available SOLAS type 1 Offshore non-inflatable PFD with lifting loop. Ours were $53 each from Global Industries with free shipping.

Happy shopping!
John

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulfcoast john wrote:
Mark, Bob, and Hardee,
Excellent points.
Perhaps I did not make clear that our objection to INFLATABLE PFD’S (including with strong D rings for offshore sailing use to clip onto) is that they do not count for USCG boardings UNLESS YOU ARE WEARING THEM.

We don’t want to wear any inflatable PFD inside the cabin, esp in settled weather.

<stuff clipped>

Your objection is my reason. But we boat in very different waters. I like inflatable PFD's BECAUSE they don't count unless you wear them. In the past, I've had buddies who don't want to wear a PFD. With inflatables, it's easier for me to tell them that with these, it's the law that they must wear them while on board. When I'm not at the dock, everyone on my boat must wear a pfd at all times (except maybe to remove or don a jacket or to visit the head).

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the requirement that you must be wearing an inflatable PFD to meet USCG requirements is only in an open boat (or personal watercraft). We wear ours anyway.

We had the belt type inflatables for years and the only problem is that I wouldn't notice that I had it on until I returned to the house. I always had to remember to take it back to the boat. A couple of times I even found that I still had it on at the hardware store. Not uncomfortable.

We later upgraded to the auto-inflate SOSpender type inflatables because they don't require any wrangling around with it once it inflates. I never felt that those were uncomfortable either. Maybe it's like seat belts. People complained about them being uncomfortable for years, but I haven't heard that for more than a decade.

The lifting ring on the SOLAS PFD above is a 15 cent loop of nylon webbing and what might be a better (metal?) buckle on the strap around the chest of the PFD. Nobody is going to wear that PFD around the boat just because it has a lift ring. It would be easy to just replace the plastic buckle with a carabiner and the polypro webbing with nylon on our inflatables. One inch webbing and an inexpensive carabiner has a working load of 1,000#. That should do it.

Mark

Last edited by Marco Flamingo on Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
gulfcoast john wrote:
Mark, Bob, and Hardee,
Excellent points.

<stuff clipped>

Your objection is my reason. But we boat in very different waters. I like inflatable PFD's BECAUSE they don't count unless you wear them. In the past, I've had buddies who don't want to wear a PFD. With inflatables, it's easier for me to tell them that with these, it's the law that they must wear them while on board. When I'm not at the dock, everyone on my boat must wear a pfd at all times (except maybe to remove or don a jacket or to visit the head).

Ahhha. Yup, my practise too. It only counts IF you have it on. For me, the inflatable is not uncomfortable or combersome. I do carry a pair of Off shore non-inflatables but don't wear them in general practise.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: