The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

I bought a boat! (not C-Dory)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: I bought a boat! (not C-Dory) Reply with quote

I looked at Ranger Tugs but then figured that I could save $230,000.00 by buying this boat instead.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/bod/d/tacoma-tung-hwa-clipper-30-ft/7050962866.html

Hopefully, the broker won't get around to deleting the craigslist post for a couple of days.

Every time I went to look at the boat I learned more things that weren't clear on the published specifications. Like when the motor was rebuilt 40 hours ago, the owner went to the trouble of locating NOS Lehman parts. He had a NOS crank shipped from Michigan. The Garmin navigation system is brand new, professionally installed less than a year ago. The winch is brand new. I didn't understand that from reading the spec sheet.

There were the normal little irritating things that need to be adjusted, etc., but all of the systems seemed appropriate and surprisingly up to date, with the possible exception of the vintage Norcold fridge (but it still works). All batteries are 2017. The Yanmar genset wasn't even listed in the specs until recently. The owner had cruised extensively, including a circumnavigation of Vancouver Island.

I may have a new ride to the Friday Harbor CBGT.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, looks like you found a gem. And, IMHO, you are way ahead of the RT in many ways. Bring it on to the FH-CBGT. You are welcome.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Mark! Looks like a sweet deal to me & a great way to make some extended cruises in comfort.

Jay

Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
That is a great looking boat! You should be very comfortable in it a the FHCBGT and hopefully you'll be staying overnight on it rather than at a hotel room? Smile Your keeping Limpet aren't you? Maybe use it for a tender!
- Steve

Last edited by Knipet on Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, beautiful boat! Seems to be a good deal. Would make a great live aboard.

Congrats,

Rob

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Looks like that boat has been well cared for and updated. Should be a great cruiser!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very clean and well equipped example of a good trawler. Congratulations. With your innovations, it will be even better!

That Ford Lehman is a great engine. Ford tractor parts are still available world wide. There are many thousands of those blocks in tractor service. I put almost 5,000 hours on a Ford Lehman in one of our motorsailors--and just getting broken in.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, oh ,,,, Jason is going to be PISSED when he finds out you can go from a 16 to a 30 foot all at once without jumping 3 feet at a time !! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert H. Wilkinson wrote:
Oh, oh ,,,, Jason is going to be PISSED when he finds out you can go from a 16 to a 30 foot all at once without jumping 3 feet at a time !! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

It's okay. I like to think of my 3 footitis as a philanthropic endeavor. All of my boat sales tax over the years has single handedly repaired all of the roads in Massachusetts! Lmao

Nice rig Mark. Good luck with her

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Sharp wrote:
Mark,
That is a great looking boat! You should be very comfortable in it a the FHCBGT and hopefully you'll be staying overnight on it rather than at a hotel room? Smile Your keeping Limpet aren't you? Maybe use it for a tender!
- Steve

Our friends in Friday Harbor sold their apartment, so it's not as ea$y to find a convenient place ashore. I'm keeping the Limpet (and thinking of naming my new boat Chiton). While doing the sea trial, I climbed all over the new boat and found the boat hook, found extra fender, extra dock lines, etc., etc. I don't need to buy anything at the Boat Show??? Is that possible?

Wait, I do need a tender. Maybe there will be a Boat Show special. I've got the 2.5 Suzuki kicker from the Limpet. West Marine inflatable? Avon? Kaboat? Portland Pudgy? Time to do some researching on C-Brats. What concerns me is that the vast majority of our dinghy use is to land on some rocky shore. What can handle that and is light enough to carry (or drag) above the high tide mark?

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
land on some rocky shore. What can handle that and is light enough to carry (or drag) above the high tide mark?

The Alaska series, tenders from 40# to 50# with Grizzly Claw bottom hull fabric should stand up to that. We have used both West Marine and Bombard inflatables in AK, BC and WA. and neither had failure. But if you wish put some extra fabric on areas which might wear.

Next best small tenders to Alaska are Achilles.

I see some fantastic Alaska trips coming up.
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
. . .

Wait, I do need a tender. . . . What concerns me is that the vast majority of our dinghy use is to land on some rocky shore. What can handle that and is light enough to carry (or drag) above the high tide mark?

Mark

I agree with Bob. Our Alaska Series with the Grizzly protection got dragged over no end of barnacles and pointy rocks in BC and S.E. Alaska. Never a problem. It only weighed about 50 pounds. However, we never used a motor - just oars.

chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice trawler. I have a couple questions.

Is that a wood hull?
what is the bottom construction?
Is there a bow thruster?

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chromer wrote:

Is that a wood hull?
what is the bottom construction?
Is there a bow thruster?

It's fiberglass. I looked at a nice GB 32, but it was wood. Did the research on it and got spooked. It seems that the complexity of determining the state of the fastenings, and refastening when needed, has driven the prices down, but I was trying to avoid (as much as possible) a project boat. The price of wood GB 32s and others like the Marine Trader has really taken a hit.

The Tung Hwa had some osmotic blisters when purchased by the prior owner, which doesn't appear to be common on these. He had a below-the-waterline gel coat peel and a complete epoxy re-coat. That seems to have eliminated that issue. The only hull construction issue I've seen (the web is full of horror stories) was a Taiwan trawler that had teak engine mount stringers that rotted. I believe all of them were constructed in this manner, but being teak and being encapsulated in fiberglass saved most. I only saw one example of this.

Bow thruster? Bow thruster? We no need no stinkin' bow thruster. It has a four blade prop, which seems to kick the rear a lot in reverse. It also has a surprising 4 foot draft, which might help with windage. I think that a lot of practice will have to take the place of a bow thruster. Or, I could install one of these:

Mark
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco, if I didn't need a 8'6" trailerable boat I'd be jealous, we had a R tug and you are way better off with the non computer Ford Leeman, with that quality rebuild it should last another lifetime. The lightest RIB we could find was a West Marine folding transom we had on our steel sailboat I think it was in the 60 lb. range, it served us well up and down Mexico for a few years as the hard floor was pretty rugged (it was PVC fabric though). The absolutely best thing about that model was that due to minimal weight and a flattish bottom it would plane out and cruise with a 6 hp at about 16 mph with 2 people, nearly equaling our friends 15 hp rib, this allowed us to explore distant nooks and crannies of the coastline and still drag it up the beach. Now with a 2.5 hp I won't be able to fish some of the distant reefs, anyway you now have a great boat for your area!
1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: