DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom I will email my info on what i did . I use too, with all of my other boats, to come home after spending my day fishing or cruising , then proceed to empty tackle boxs, radio , gps , two electric down riggers , net ...... Just because these low life bums might come in my boat and steel all my precious cargo! Sorry but It was taking all the pleasure of my favorite pastime 3 to 4 time a week. Life is to short to have those loosers to get me to spend 1 hour or so to unload my boat after each trip. It take me a good hour just cleaning my C-Dory. Forget about taking all the seats, fittings, gps , radar , wallas stove , carpets ect. With this alarm I put together ,and the way I secured all my equipments, they will have to steal the boat . Gary SEARAM
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks gary , i have been on the net and going to car alarm places all day to see whats out there. iam looking at a combo of wireless cameras and motion detectors with sirens. also mercery switchs for moving the boat. by the time Iam done I should get a email that the guy got shoot and have clear photos of the impact.

dont worry about disposal, I know a pig farmer.

My father once built (in the 70s) a alarm for my grand fathers store. I was made up of a door switch with a delay that trigger a landing light from a dc-9 and a old fire siren. the light only came on for 1 second then shut off. Nothing better then blind and deaf.

flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this got me thinking about my Radar unit and how easy it would be to steal. There's 4 bolts attaching it to the radar arch. I'm wondering if there are any bolts with odd size/shapes I could replace the originals just to make it difficult? What about a spot weld on the nut/bolt? Can you spot weld stainless steel? Any ideas?
Salty Dog

City/Region: Traverse City
State or Province: MI
Photos: Salty Dog
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adeline had done some research on security systems and had a thread about it here:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=1645&highlight=

You might want to read that and look at some of those products or get in touch with Adeline and see what he wound up doing. Could save you some time on re-inventing the wheel.

Jack
Pete in NY

City/Region: Western LI Sound, NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Miss Pam
Photos: Miss Pam
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hudsonfasteners.com/security.htm?gclid=CPvqxdmG_4ECFRteOAodIGeMRA
C-Sick

City/Region: Renton
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Photos: C-Sick
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: My Blood Pressure is with you Reply with quote

My 19 year old daughter in the last month had her car radio jacked (The Face Plate Was Not On). Two weeks later her wheels and tires jacked.

$500 deductible which puts it beyond reporting.

The sad thing is people fence stolen stuff for pennies on the dollar.

The flip side is NEVER buy stolen property. If there were no greedy buyers there would be no value in stealing.

flapbreaker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete in NY wrote:

Thanks for the link. I'm gonna buy some new bolts... Thumbs Up
flapbreaker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete in NY wrote:

I just noticed that they only sell to businesses to protect the security aspect. I guess I'll have to look at other websites.
Jimbo

City/Region: Maple Ridge
C-Dory Year: 1981
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Cheyenne
Photos: Cheyenne
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Alarms Reply with quote

Tom,
I put a marine alarm on my other boat after having one stolen out of my driveway 3 years ago in the middle of the day. This company is set up for marine installations and the back up service has been excellent. The email address for the owner is imceachern@silvertipmarine.com He will probably be at the SBS. This is an excellent system. Send him a e-mail to confirm. Good luck. Jimbo
flapbreaker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Alarms Reply with quote

Jimbo wrote:
Tom,
I put a marine alarm on my other boat after having one stolen out of my driveway 3 years ago in the middle of the day. This company is set up for marine installations and the back up service has been excellent. The email address for the owner is imceachern@silvertipmarine.com He will probably be at the SBS. This is an excellent system. Send him a e-mail to confirm. Good luck. Jimbo

I looked at their website and it looks expensive. Is it?
Jimbo

City/Region: Maple Ridge
C-Dory Year: 1981
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Cheyenne
Photos: Cheyenne
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: alarms Reply with quote

flapbreaker
The system installed cost me 2000.00 CDN. That includes three mag contacts, engine kill, a geo fence around the boat if it is moved (you set the perimiters) a bilge sensor and a smoke sensor. The system tracks the boat via GPS and if the boat is in the armed mode when you move it or open a door etc. the horn goes off, it dials up to 5 cell numbers, sends up to 5 text messages and 5 e-mails. It also sends out a daily report on the boat to your e-mail, giving a status report on all systems you are monitoring. It monitors all the contact points, (and will do a smart bypass if something is left open) temp in the boat, battery status and alarm backup battery status. You can turn all the functions on or off via computer or phone. It comes with two remotes. There are also other auxsillery contacts that you can connect to which I haven't needed yet. The complete system goes in a 4X6 inch water proof box. there is a GPS antenna and a cell phone antenna that are each pieces of wire about 18" long that are mounted behind the dash. This system is on My 20' Regal that we use and also my two boys use. I can monitor them anywhere they go. At any given time I can log onto my computer site and see where they are on the lake or if they are trailering. The GPS is good to within 10' or less depending how many satallites are tracking it. The computer program can be added to for more boats, which I will do with our Hunky Dory. I will talk to Ian the owner and probably do the install myself, and get him to install the program, which he does from his office via the internet. I had some problems in the first month with logging on but an e-mail to Ian fixed it right away. The last time I spoke to Ian he had setup installers in Vancouver BC, Seattle, San Francisco and San Diego on the west coast.
After having a 2000 18' SeaRay stolen out of our driveway, (it had a ball lock and a paddlock through the hitch lever that was sawn off with what the insurance adjuster thought was a diamond blade) I wasn't taking any chances. The Regal still sits in the driveway and the alarm has already paid for itself twice, once while it was in the driveway, the alarm went off and dialed phones and pagers which got us out there two see 2 guys running down the street and bailing into a pickup. We got the license # and reported it, but the truck had already been reported stolen. The alarm was set off when they tried to rip the stereo put of the glove box. They didn't get anything. The second time was when the boys had the boat up in the Okanagan Valley in Kelowna. for a week. They had the boat tied up to the dock that the hotel had. There was a bunch of them up there with 4 or 5 boats. About 4:00 AM the alarm went off and all the guys (about 12 of them) blew out to the dock. A gang was trying to steal 4 boats at the same time. 2 boats were started and gone by the time my boys got to our boat. which was the only one alarmed. They managed to grab 4 guys on the dock, two more went into the water. Apparently some justice was served by the guys before the law got there so the bad guys where pretty subdued when taken away. They cruised the lake the next day and found the two boats, both beached with the drain plugs pulled out of them so the motor compartments were full of water. The stereos, speakers and amps were gone as were stainless steel props, wakeboards and ropes. The guys managed to pump out the boats tow them back to the dock. Two of the guys were mechanics so they went to work. Luckily this was a lake so salt wasn't a problem and the motors had cooled down enough by the time the plugs were pulled that the blocks didn't crack. They had them running in about 6 hours and continued their holiday. The guys that were caught were charged with attempted theft over 5000.00 dollars and but were only given suspended sentences and 100 hours each of community work.
So..... after all that...do I think the system is expensive, not at all.
jimbo
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete-- the bolt look like a great idea and I have family in the fire protection business that my be able to order them for me. It would be a lot easier to remove if I have to them the j.b. weld that I was planning to use.

jimbo--does that system drive and reel in fish for you to?? That sound like a great system with everything you mentioned, but a little out of my price range at this time. If the thieves got every thing they wanted out of those boats them why did they pull the plugs?? and did the guy caught have to pay the owners anything back?? Our justice system ( both countrys) is backwards.

jack-- looks like some good info in that post. I just got the check to day and will have enough money for the radar and a small alarm system budget. I plan on going with a motion sensor ( one mercury one microwave) with a alarm and a wireless camera patched to my computer. when I have it all in I will take pics and post a report. I am still thinking of wiring the fence with a small electric wire like you would use for a dog. They have to come over the fence and the first hand over the fence should get a good jolt.
flapbreaker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site looks good for tamper resistant screws.

http://www.thefastenerconnection.com/Products/TamperResistant.html
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Sorry about the losses. I think people have come up with some great ideas on security devices you can get.

A friend of mine took a cruse to Maine a few years ago and discovered that you could not anchor in a lot of ports like he had in the past. You had to rent a mooring. I call this robbery, only it is legal. It seems that we are all expected to have a lot of money to shell out because we have boats. Our boats do not cost much compared with the bigger boats, but they cost a lot to us.

I remember quite a few years ago, a farmer was sick and tired with people breaking in and stealing from him. He set up a shot gun to shoot low when the theaves came. They came, and had their legs shot off. They sued the farmer, and won the farm. Guns do not work.

Best thing to do is security devices that scare the robbers away, and devices the help you to catch the robbers. I am in favor of scaring away. Then you don't have to deal with the liberal judges as we have in Massachusetts who practice Marxism. "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need." We are considered to be in the first catagory.

I think I shall get a few devices to scare the bad people away.

Fred Heap

UncleRichie

City/Region: Bainbridge Is.
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Critter
Photos: C-Critter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a old beer sign tranformer that I use to run the electric fence to keep out the deer only thing that works ( stupid deer) put a couple of wires around high enough and low enough so that they can't steep over it or under it . When they try to cut it or get over it you will hear them (screems should be heard for at least a quarter off a mile) nothing messes with it twice .
Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: