The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

22' model - best repower choice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teufelshunde

City/Region: Sebastopol
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Fish Wisher
Photos: Fishwisher
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob that is exactly what I do I just read into your earlier explanation too much and got a little confused.
As far as trim tabs I would rather use them to balance the boat out at speed - if it were leaning port or starboard (because of uneven load or people moving on board ) adjust accordingly.
Use the permatrim for getting on plain faster but I don’t have trim tabs - just my thought of how I would use them.

-Waypoint-

City/Region: Jensen Beach, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Photos: Waypoint
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our boat has the twin Honda 40hp carbureted (1998) engines. They’re making oil, leaking oil, knocking, rusting apart, but start every time. Were going to repower the boat this year and planning on replacing them with new Honda 40s or Yamaha 40s. I thought about upgrading to the Honda 50s for the extra $2000. That gives me 1000 rpms/ 20hp more at WOT (6500 rpms). I rarely run at 5500 rpms. on the old Honda 40s. I cruise between 4000- 4500 rpms. all the time @ 15- 18 kts., depending on the trip load out. Recently got a boat show price on the Honda 40s w/ all new everything for $11,600. Working on an estimate for Yamaha 40s w/ all new everything. I believe simply a newer set of engines will give better performance overall with better fuel economy. (With the same hp rating and block size.) Happy motor shopping!
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teufelshunde wrote:
Thanks Bob that is exactly what I do I just read into your earlier explanation too much and got a little confused.
As far as trim tabs I would rather use them to balance the boat out at speed - if it were leaning port or starboard (because of uneven load or people moving on board ) adjust accordingly.
Use the permatrim for getting on plain faster but I don’t have trim tabs - just my thought of how I would use them.

I had only trim tabs on my first c-dory. I had to run my boat a high rpms to get the bow down where I wanted it. I find it is more relaxing to run the boat at lower rpms around 4000. with only tabs the nose will be up in the air.

With permatrim you can run the boat closer to level (front to back) at lower rpms.

These boat absolutely have to have trim tabs permatrim addition is optional but try it and you will be sold.

As to bowsteer and trimming. I am constantly adjusting trim on my boat with TT and PT depending on velocity, wind direction, current, it is part of running these boats. They are corks floating on top of the water unlike displecemnt hulls. Check the height your engine is mounted.

You say you had bowsteer at high speed before the PT. You may be going too fast. I have experienced this as well. 25 knots is about as fast as you can go comfortably after about 28 knots you get bow steer. You cannot run these boats at high speed, unless the bow is trimmed way up. permatrim wont allow you to go faster, but will make your slow to medium cruise more comfortable. Running the boat in the right conditions with trim tabs may alleviate you bow steer because the boat would not be in a constant state of leaning to the right.
CaptMac

City/Region: Amelia Island / Jacksonville
Photos: Blue Manatee
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: suzuki 90 Reply with quote

At 343 pounds I would consider a new Suzuki 90 DF90A
http://www.floundergigging.com
Flounder Gigging Charters
"The Adventure of a Night-time"
904-556-0230 Cell/Text
Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: suzuki 90 Reply with quote

Baxter

City/Region: Sheridan
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Baxter ll
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re powering Reply with quote

Etecbring kecEvnrude developing it. Bombier purchased it as told for the developed patented engine to use on many of their line. Always gong was fresh oil and wt.

Many 4 strokes have gone on a diet.

WHERE IS QUAITY service in your area? Yamaha, Suzuki’s, Honda’s all great engines.

I have Venture 23 so hull not like any C-Dory so can’t compare.
It has twin Honda’s it came with in 2006. 750 hrs. Many Honda’s carried for
Last 3000 hrs.

I have noticed many C-Dorys with motors above mfg recommendations.
Sit low n stern. But perhaps on water perform fine.

We are not interested in speed as we are out there to cruise at 15 knots.

High speeds can usually only be obtained calm waters. Mostly on Puget Sound to Desolation Sound, Campbell Really ver etc. this is not the norm.

Remember props are also key to performance also.

So just a view from different angle.

Baxter

Teufelshunde

City/Region: Sebastopol
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Fish Wisher
Photos: Fishwisher
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Fishin C wrote:
Teufelshunde wrote:

I had only trim tabs on my first c-dory. I had to run my boat a high rpms to get the bow down where I wanted it. I find it is more relaxing to run the boat at lower rpms around 4000. with only tabs the nose will be up in the air.

With permatrim you can run the boat closer to level (front to back) at lower rpms.

These boat absolutely have to have trim tabs permatrim addition is optional but try it and you will be sold.

As to bowsteer and trimming. I am constantly adjusting trim on my boat with TT and PT depending on velocity, wind direction, current, it is part of running these boats. They are corks floating on top of the water unlike displecemnt hulls. Check the height your engine is mounted.

You say you had bowsteer at high speed before the PT. You may be going too fast. I have experienced this as well. 25 knots is about as fast as you can go comfortably after about 28 knots you get bow steer. You cannot run these boats at high speed, unless the bow is trimmed way up. permatrim wont allow you to go faster, but will make your slow to medium cruise more comfortable. Running the boat in the right conditions with trim tabs may alleviate you bow steer because the boat would not be in a constant state of leaning to the right.

I’m still getting used to this new boat - other boats I have operated did not need as much trim adjusting as the C-dory but I’m getting it down
(one hand on wheel and one on throttle/trim button).
After putting the PT on I was very happy with the performance at slow speeds in the ocean cutting chop bow down.
Now I am going to save/research for trim tabs - looking at the Bennett - either electric or hydraulic and figure out what size for my boat.
Thanks for the info
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ I’m still getting used to this new boat - other boats I have operated did not need as much trim adjusting as the C-dory but I’m getting it down
(one hand on wheel and one on throttle/trim button).
After putting the PT on I was very happy with the performance at slow speeds in the ocean cutting chop bow down.
Now I am going to save/research for trim tabs - looking at the Bennett - either electric or hydraulic and figure out what size for my boat.
Thanks for the info[/quote]

See page 9 of my photo album.
I used Lenco electric trim tabs, easy install, reasonably priced. I had Bennett hydraulics on the last boat, both worked equally well.

With the tabs, push the switch in one second increments to adjust. If you hold the switch it is too easy to over adjust.

Cheers
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:23 am Post subject: Reply with quote
The transoms have been sitting lower and lower in the water over the years with heavier engines being added. twin engines are especially heavy. The original design wasn't intended to have 450 lbs on the back of the boat. They can handle it, Ive had ours overloaded and it was fine but the less weight the better of course.

My boat was repowered with a Honda 90 HP from a 70 HP before I bought it. I have lemco trim tabs and a Permatrim on the 90. I also have a Honda 9.9 kicker. Once I have a full load of fuel which includes a 45 litre slip tank and a big cooler in the back the transom gets quite heavy.

One solution which killed two birds with one stone was adding storage under the v-berth. We cut out hatches, removed the foam and we now have loads of storage in the bow. Once I did this and moved some of the clutter and weight to the bow storage I found that the boat rides much better. It is balanced better, rides smoother through waves and chop at both hull speed and planeing. I think that it might also be slightly more fuel efficient.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
WeekiTiki

City/Region: Weeki Wachee
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Just Cruisin'
Photos: WeekiTiki
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: suzuki 90 Reply with quote

CaptMac wrote:
At 343 pounds I would consider a new Suzuki 90 DF90A

Finally!

Somebody mentioned the Zuke

Was wanting to hear about them

Although my old Honda 75 seems to do fine

Being carbureted it may not get as good of fuel economy

But I can buy a whole lot of gas for the cost of a new engine

For now anyway

WeekiTiki

City/Region: Weeki Wachee
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Just Cruisin'
Photos: WeekiTiki
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and I've purchased a Permatrim

guess I need to install it and see what it does

Didn't realize until reading y'all's posts that it's

supposed to ride above the water on plane

That's way good news because I was afraid of it catching floating grass
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
supposed to ride above the water on plane

It should ride on the surface, not above the water. The water should not flow over the top, but under it, with some turbulence, splash on the sides.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Merc115CT Reply with quote

We do not have the perma trim but have Lenco tabs and we have 100 ft of chain for our anchor in bow The cd 22 definitely need weight up front or the permatrim The cc23 Venture doesn’t seem to need it as much IMHO
We run at 4000 rpm at 20mph /17knots this is the sweet spot all the way up to 4500rpm at 25mph I’ve averaged about 3gallons +an hour for almost 4years of boat use

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a lot of concern with the weight of motors. Fifty pounds is equal to 8 gallons of gas. I personally haven't been able to tell the difference in boat handling after burning 50 gallons of fuel let alone 8. I realize the tanks are further forward than the motors but if the boat's handling is affected by 50 pounds the boat isn't designed right. Get the brand of motor you are most comfortable with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: