The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

22' model - best repower choice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2016
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on the above Merc comments, still loving my 2016 CT 90 with 430 some trouble free hrs. This current version came out in 2014 as noted above, larger displacement, lower weight, and the optional CT gearcase swings a big ol' prop. Also super quiet, smooth, easy to do regular service (Merc even sells handy dandy 100 hr and 300 hr maintenance kits with everything needed to do it yourself). The 90 hp is more power than I need, but you also can't go wrong with the 115 for same weight!

-Mike

JimTid

City/Region: Jacksonville
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Lucy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: G2 ETEC Reply with quote

I repowered my Rosboro 246 with a 300HP G2 ETEC. This was a big block motor. The 150 HP and lower are small block ETEC's. I never liked the two stroke motor. It uses less fuel but more oil. It has more odor than a 4 stroke. It is louder than a 4 stroke and at a higher pitch. It has a slight studder at half throttle having to do with the fuel delivery programming. I replaced twin 115 Suzuki's with the single 300. The weight reduction on the transom upset the handling. The boat would bow steer under certain conditions. There was a severe yaw to the left out of the hole. I had to add trim tabs. Oh ya, at 17 hours on the new motor a fuel line popped off and soaked the insulation on the inside of the motor cover, leaving me stranded. The cost of the new motor was $28,600 installed. I spent another $700 on the trim tabs.
I think a Yamaha 115 would be my first choice for a 22 Cdory.
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Merc command thrust Reply with quote

Drewbird and MikeR,
Is the use of the permatrim still needed ?
I see pics of Jennykatz without the permatrim.
thanks
DrewbirdII

City/Region: fanny bay
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Drewbird II
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

San, I don't think you require a permatrim for your average cruising as it does cause a bit of drag on boat. The 90CT motor jumps on plain even if you don't trim the motor down. If you run the boat very light with one person it can actually torque the boat over to the right if you hit the throttle to fast. I installed a permatrim last year and found it steers better in big swells off the west coast, and at slow speeds I can plain effortlessly with heavy loads. I have fuel meters on the motor and the boat that are very accurate and I find that the permatrim cost a bit on fuel at higher speeds but I like it.

Jim.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have permatrim on my boat, and it made a big difference in pitch of the boat. It use to ride pretty nose high. The permatrim allows you to get the bow down a bit more. Colby
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO
permatrim highly recommended
trim tabs absolutely a necessity

both is best.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, having run both a C Dory 25 and 22 without Permatrims, and then put them on. Both the Permatrim and the Tabs add to the seaworthiness of the boat. The amount of top ends speed is minimal--maybe one mph.

The key to all of this is the Permitrim running on the surface of the water wen on a plane. If it is buried then the motor is too low in the water.

Yes, the boats will run without either (and my first 22 did "OK"--but with the addition of the Permatrim--a lot of difference in rougher water.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Merc 115 CT Reply with quote

We have the cc23 with a115CT merc My boat weighs about 4000 lb with fuel ,water batteries and engine This is for daily driving not camping
The merc CT 115 is the newer version it’s 2.1 L vs the Colbys 1.7 older merc based on the Verado block At 4000 rpm we hit about 20mph 4500rpm about 25mph WOT 5200-5500 rpm over 30 mph ++ At 20 mph we usually get around 4mpg depending on sea conditions The Merc was about$ 1000-1500 less then the Yamaha also merc will extend out of the water more The Merc is also quieter and with bigger prop 15/17 pitch will handle very good around the marina

We did have one problem that was hard to diagnose it was the throttle position sensor it was an easy fix but took a while to figure it out

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Merc command thrust Reply with quote

san juanderer wrote:
Drewbird and MikeR,
Is the use of the permatrim still needed ?
I see pics of Jennykatz without the permatrim.
thanks

Yes, I'd recommend it. Ran my CT90 without for a year, and was happy without it. Added one the following summer and was even happier! It wasn't noticeable much in flat calm water but soon realized heading straight into a short chop I could now go along comfortably at say 4000 RPM without pounding, whereas previously I may have been limited to 3200 RPM in the same conditions without the Permatrim. But I don't have trim tabs either, so if you do maybe you'll do just as well without the Permatrim. But having both is said to be even better.
-Mike
Teufelshunde

City/Region: Sebastopol
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Fish Wisher
Photos: Fishwisher
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added a permatrim on my 2019 Yamaha 90 and noticed I had to trim the motor more while going past 8-9 knots or it would bow steer starboard. Previously it would bow steer at a higher speed so I’m very happy in chop bow down going slow Thumbs Up
I’m assuming along with other advantages trim tabs would allow me to go a little faster without trimming the motor so I don’t bow steer?

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teufelshunde wrote:
I added a permatrim on my 2019 Yamaha 90 and noticed I had to trim the motor more while going past 8-9 knots or it would bow steer starboard. Previously it would bow steer at a higher speed so I’m very happy in chop bow down going slow Thumbs Up
I’m assuming along with other advantages trim tabs would allow me to go a little faster without trimming the motor so I don’t bow steer?

The idea with the tabs and the permatrim is to get the nose down. The further the bow is down, the more the chance of bow steer. How you get there doesn't really matter. Tabs, permatrim, or adding a bunch of weight to the bow will result in the same effect.

The apparent advantage of permatrim over tabs is the amount of deflection required. Less deflection for the same result equal less drag. On my boat I normally run the tabs at about 70% (according to the indicator) to get the bow where I want it. In some situations I need to run the tabs full down. This is bad for the fuel economy and knocks about 6-7 mph off the top speed. The permatrim should have a more powerful effect per unit of trim.

I'm going to put a permatrim on this spring, so we'll see what the difference is.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bow steering is undesirable. I have not had any of the C Dorys bow steer, unless the bow was purposefully pushed down with trim tabs or Permatrim. Going down wind and waves, trim tabs should be retracted--maybe even fully. You want to try and have the prop thrust parallel to the surface of the water, and the Permatrim running just at the surface, not submerged. Check to see where the permatrim is at your planing speed.
hank clow

City/Region: L'Anse
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Meri Aura
Photos: Meri Aura
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repowered my 2003 with a Yamaha 90 in 2017. Very pleased with the results.

Pat Clow
Meri Aura
Teufelshunde

City/Region: Sebastopol
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Fish Wisher
Photos: Fishwisher
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Bow steering is undesirable. I have not had any of the C Dorys bow steer, unless the bow was purposefully pushed down with trim tabs or Permatrim. Going down wind and waves, trim tabs should be retracted--maybe even fully. You want to try and have the prop thrust parallel to the surface of the water, and the Permatrim running just at the surface, not submerged. Check to see where the permatrim is at your planing speed.

I have to trim/tilt the motor to bring the bow up in following seas or above 8 knots on flat water with my permatrim now installed.
If you dropped your motor down above planing speed your boat wouldn’t bow steer?
When my prop shaft is level (trim up a little) - the bottom of my boat is level with the anti ventilation plate and from what I can tell my permatrim is at the surface at planing speed.
I do not bow steer until I reach around 10 knots ( not trimming ).
Sorry if I’m not making myself clear - just wondering if I’m having a problem with the height of my motor but I seem to make it work with trimming my motor up as I gain speed in smooth seas of course. Very Happy
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get max efficiency out of any outboard boat, I get it on a plane, about where I want a cruising speed. I leave the throttle fixed and trim the engine up or down to where the speed is greatest, with no change of the throttle. For this I would leave the trim tabs at up position.

I rarely if ever run with the engine all of the way trimmed down. I will trim down when going up on a plane, and then pull the engine back until the boat is level and running at best speed for the conditions....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: