The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Balsa Core Delamination
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photos do show vacuum bagging for the core. No resin infusion. Just having vacuum bagging, does not have any bearing on the adherence of the core to the outer shell. If you found sunflower seed shells there, there was very poor "sanitary control". Also fiberglass work is difficult, and "dirty". The shop pictured in the series you linked to, was what I would call "dirty". I see photos of current builds and I have spent time in factories where boats were being laminated on a mass production basis (Specifically Columbia/Coronado and Cal yachts). All a lot "cleaner". Any dust, material particle (even husks) can be a nidus where there is no lamination. Also if the underlying glass has set up fully, there will be less of a bond than if it is still tacky.

A lot of water got in that core--from some place. I also suspect some freeze thaw cycles??

You are doing great work, with fantastic documentation! Thanks.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great technical thread, thank you for sharing all this. Its a little scary for me with a 2007 with the same cabinet and cockpit floor.

I believe Scott hit the nail on the head earlier. The raised cockpit floor holds water, we've all determined that. When I got our boat, there was water under there. If the trailer wasn't tilted with the tongue up, or while it sits level in the water... water would creep through the bulkhead somehow and find its way into the cabinet with the water tank and puddle on the floor between the dinette and the sink cabinet. I've found standing water in that cabinet before and who knows how long its sat there. At one point I resealed the cockpit floor and that was the end of that, but now I'm going to have to check those water tank screws and bed them properly and pray I don't find anything like this while I'm doing the work. Agreed with the freeze/thaw cycles compounding the problem over time. The water is not supposed to creep that far in theory.

I'll be following along with the videos.

thataway

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know exactly how these 22's were built.--but the usual way, was to tab the aft cabin bulkhead to the inner bottom of the boat all along its bottom and up the sides. I have seen several boats, including several 22's and at least 3 C Dory25's where this tabbing had either broken down or was never complete. This can also lead to water intrusion into the lower part of the aft bulkhead (which is also balsa cored). In light of this it would be prudent for any buying of these specific boats to do moisture testing on the inner cabin floor. Normally this floor should have no more moisture than the solid glass on the sides.

Persons who own these boats currently should use one of the in-expensive moisture meters to determine if there is any excess moisture trapped in the core.

In our discussion of locations of bilge pumps in different years of the boats, there are many variations of location. Some have a 'step' just inside of the cabin aft bulkhead. These also have a hole thru that bulkhead,--and often a sump there, to collect water which might pool in this area. For example my 2006 C Dory 22 had the step and sump just inside of the cabin door. It had the removable floor. Thus no water was "trapped" under it. It flowed to the sump.

I might be tempted if I owned one of the affected boats with the built in level floor in the 22, to consider putting a hole in the aft bulkhead and placing a bilge pump under a step, and "dam" of fiberglass to contain any water in a sump area.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob. Can you recommend or link to the kind of moisture meter you like to use or refer to? Thanks. Colby
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Hi Bob. Can you recommend or link to the kind of moisture meter you like to use or refer to? Thanks. Colby

I have two moisture meters which I bought for comparison. The General MMD7NP
The Gneral MMD7NP about $45.

And the Ryobi CW1302

Both are pinless and have have 4 settings Wall, Masonry, Soft Wood and Hard Wood. The two meters agree within about 10%; 90% of the time.

A must read on moisture meters, balsa and cored hulls by David Pascoe.

Here is another good read on moisture meters, brass hammers and balsa.. They recommend the Ryobi. (which I believe is out of production, and I have not used the latest one, which hooks up to the I phone.)

Having said all of this, "moisture meters" do not measure moisture. They measure capacitance. Many things can give false readings; both false negative and false positive. We took apart a number of laminates, from hurricane wrecked boats, and a couple of bow thruster cutouts of boats with known blister and wet core problems. A friend of mine had designed an ultrasonic technique gauge which could read thru laminated core of various materials. Surveyors would not spend the several thousand dollars to buy and then take the time to wse the equipment, so it never went to market. I acquired the 2 moisture meters I have, and we also used a Tramex Moisture Meter for comparison to measure moisture under experimental conditions and in real boat scenarios

I do think that if you have a badly saturated core, as in this example, a moisture meter should show the areas. Keeping in mind that any metal nearby will increase the reading that voids will give false negatives. The the moisture is only relative, and if you have suspicions, then holes can be drilled and the core sampled. I do not recommend drilling a bunch of holes in the inner surface of the hull unless. you have some very strong reason to suspect an issue.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. But it looks like both your links go to the same meter. I'll see if I can google to find the Ryobi. Colby
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that Colby.

Here is the proper link. It may not be in production?

The only real positive about it was it seemed a little easier to read than the General.
clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anybody else getting the 404 page not found when clicking the link to the videos?
Oops, just realized the links work on my phone but not on the pc. Not sure why.

John, I'm going to have to get caught up on your videos. Looks like you are literally in the same boat as me. I too have a very expensive boat that I cannot use.

I am looking at cutting out the entire floor in the cockpit and probably the cabin on my 2003.

I just yesterday took the boat off the trailer and blocked it up with support under the chines because I was worried about the hull flexing with all the balsa removed.

Initially I was optimistic about completing this repair quickly, but I now know that will not be the case.

Blue Rose

City/Region: Montgomery
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Blue Rose
Photos: Blue Rose
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-
I just finished watching video #16. It's discouraging to find isolated pockets of core rot in areas beyond the line where it the balsa appears to be solid. The more you look.... the more you find. As painful as it is, I guess you just keep going.

I'm wondering if you have tested the accuracy of using a phonic hammer and the moisture meter to predict the core rot problem areas. Maybe you could map areas using those those methods on the floor before you lift the top fiberglass layer to see how those methods relate to what you find underneath?

As you are running out of floor area to work from, you might want to use some lumber (i.e. 2 X 8's) that span the over the work area to avoid putting your weight directly on the bottom hull layer.
Jim

Brewkid

City/Region: Whidbey Is
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SCALLYWAG
Photos: Scallywag
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Thanks for following along. I haven't used a phonic hammer. The moisture readings however were just too all over the place unfortunately... I would have a hole here and a hole there and at the end of the day it looks like the most of it will just have to come out anyway...

If you noticed, I'm sitting on the outboard/thick section while I'm working and stay off the weaker middle section, but if need be I'll scaffold it up for sure! When I pull the back deck that'll be the real challenge I think. I may even need to cut it out in two sections midship.. We'll see...

R/
John
Scallywag
Brewkid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay,

All I can say is I feel your pain.... I just got notification that I'm going to have to hit the road for a bit, so until then I'm just going to cut away/prep and plan on glassing when I get home.

Good luck my friend and If you need a sounding board to vent too, I'm here and will definitely understand.

R/
John
Scallywag
Blue Rose

City/Region: Montgomery
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Blue Rose
Photos: Blue Rose
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Quote:
I would have a hole here and a hole there and at the end of the day it looks like the most of it will just have to come out anyway...

I totally agree it should all come out so you can make a large repair and not a bunch of little ones....

I was thinking that if those prediction methods worked reasonable well then you might have a better idea of how much and the extent of the core damage area under the cockpit deck. (The disappearing screwdriver was terrifying!) For me, the hard part of watching the video is the disappointment each time you had to cut back some more hoping that you've reached the end.

The amount of removal/repair is the same either way, but somehow it might it easier to know in advance that it's all got to come out instead of a little at a time.

It seems to me that the core should have been compartmentalized so water intrusion at one location doesn't spread the damage throughout the hull.

Jim
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It seems to me that the core should have been compartmentalized so water intrusion at one location doesn't spread the damage throughout the hull.

If only....in a perfect world, there would be no screws into the floor, or water trapped.

The balsa core is usually laid in one section in the hull. I believe that one of the repairs recently was going to compartmentalize the core into several areas. This means putting in a "barrier" of glass all of the way athwartship.

The problem is several fold. We see in Brewkid's situation that there was poor initial adhesion to the outer lamination of the hull (that which is first laid down in the hull. It was probably allowed to cure, --and maybe contaminated?? before the balsa core/ with scrim was put down. When restoring the balsa, the balsa should be brushed with resin (epoxy being far better) and then thickened epoxy laid on the floor with the balsa core laid on top and then weighted or vacuum bagged.

The problem with balsa core is that it is cut with kerfs so that the core will bend with the arc of the bottom of the boat. These areas of kerf are often resin starved and a channel for water to migrate. The screw driver is probably going into one of the kerf areas.

The other issue in Brewkid's boat is that it has the double floor--which is currently not removable. It will have to be cut out before he can even assess the back of the hull itself.

In testing with the phenolic or brass hammer (or even moisture meter) one would not find that areas of delimitation from the outer hull.

Yes, I would worry about the contour of the hull as it is re glassed. Initially the boat is laid up in the hefty mold. You want to maintain the smooth lines of the bottom of the hull.It may be necessary to put additional support under the hull.
Brewkid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just dropped a couple more videos.

One that covers a little detail about the raised deck to give a visual to Bobs response to Jim. (towards the end of the video)

One details my installation of V-Berth hatches and foam removal.

Enjoy.

Merry Christmas to Everyone.

R/
John
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reference here is the link to the U Tube videos

I wonder if the small amount of moisture in the foam is from the anchor locker or the brass strip--that is where most of this comes. Also shows again, the "closed cell foam" really does absorb water.

Also not as much foam was forward as in many boats. It is not required by law in a 22' boat, but many are chock full of foam--yours was easier to clean out. I guess you gives you one plus....

It is interesting where your base stops forward. It may have varied from year to year. I would leave it alone.

The other interesting issue is the channels of water in between good and well adhered blocks of balsa core. I am guessing that it worked its way thru kerfs in the blocks and / or places where the blocks were not fully touching, and a small channel was left. The free thaw cycles probably expanded these channels.

Did you keep a record of the moisture readings. I have suggested that graph paper be used and the moisture readings can then be co-related to the areas where there is core damage.

Is the plan to finish the cabin sole, before you tackle the cockpit area?
I agree that when the floor goes back in it should be tabbed in with glass. Not directly related, but when we put the new cockpit floor in the 2003 C Dory 25, we used a roller and resin thickened with cabosil to give it the non skid, rather than trying to reproduce the factory non skid.

As always wonderful videos and explanations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: