The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cockpit drainage - 19
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curioustraveler

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
Photos: Curioustraveler
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Cockpit drainage - 19 Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm in the research/shopping phase and unfortunately don't have any models close by to see in person. Can someone explain the cockpit drainage situation on the 19? I've read that they aren't self draining, but I also read posts about the location of scupper drains. Does the cockpit have any drainage besides the bilge pump?

I'll be leaving her in the water so she'll collect rainwater and I'd rather not depend on the bilge pump to dry her out.

Thanks
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no scuppers, not self bailing.

most of us use a sloped back cover at the marina.

see my pic 187
curioustraveler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Forgive me if I'm missing something but how do you wash her out if there's no drain?
Chester

City/Region: home
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bilge pump.
I know a non self bailing cockpit can sound sketchy but C-Dorys aren't sinking and the deep, secure cockpit is one reason I like mine.
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have a drain with a plug that you can remove when on the trailer.
curioustraveler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you find the pump is sufficient to keep up with all the water, soap, dirt, and other crap that accumulates from washing the boat?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pump will be slower than hose putting water into the boat--but will get most of it out. You may have to finish up the last bit with a mop or sponge. If the boat gets up on a plane, all of the water drains aft to the small sump just in front of the transom. The 22's, 25's and a 19 with a solid bulkhead, may have a second bilge pump just at the aft bulkhead (where door is, either inside or outside), and thus get 99% of the water out.

Coming from a sailing background, I did feel that self bailing was necessary, but having owned two 22's, I decided that with dry deck and perhaps a high density foam mat on top--or one of the vinyl loop mats, that it worked very well. The boats are light enough and have a lot of reserve buoyancy, so the stern rises quickly when waves are come from aft or aft quarter. You certainly can get some spray in. But even boats that are "self bailing" have some leakage thru hatches on the cockpit floor.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
curioustraveler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the info. Sorry to be beating this to death but I guess what I'm asking is, bottom line, does the lack of drainage make it difficult to leave the boat in the water vs on a trailer? I ask because this is a problem with my current boat. She's a 16 foot skiff and we keep her in the water at our neighborhood marina. We had a ton of rain this past summer and she kept filling up with water. Leaves or other materials clogged the bilge pump and it seemed like almost every time I checked on her after a heavy rain she was filled with water.

I know a C-Dory isn't going to sink with rain water but I can imagine it'll be a huge pain if I'm gone for a few weeks and I come back to find her cockpit full of water due to a blocked pump. Or when I wash her down there's no drains for the dirt, soap, and other matter to drain out.

Thanks
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as leaving the boat and rain, the slant back cockpit cover will make it virtually water right. My boats with those covers didn't get any water in the cockpit. I would wash the cover each year, then treat with 303 fabric protectorate, which keeps the waterproof characteristics of the Sunbrella fabric. The bilge pump will allow most of the water to be pumped out.

In the water the boats are not self bailing. If you leave it without cover, or put water in the cockpit--it must be pumped out.
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first glance your drainage concern appeared to be singling out the C-Dory 19 and C-Dory's in general. But if your issue is with leaves clogging drains, that sounds like more of a result of where your marina/slip is located, and you're likely to have that problem with any boat, including self-bailing styles. That is, unless you properly cover it as suggested by others.

With any skiff like a Whaler that is wide open, the entire boat is collecting water. The benefit with a C-dory is that most of the boat is covered by a deck and cabin, and then you're left with only the cockpit to worry about protecting, which is easily accomplished with a slant-back cockpit cover. In that regard I would think the C-Dory is probably one of the better options out there to address your concern about rain and leaves.

I can see that you initially started looking at a 25, then a 22, then a 16, and now a 19...but what other brand of 19 footer is even in the same category as a C-Dory 19 with a hart top cabin? You might also look for an Arima 19 with Hard Top. Like C-Dory 19/22 it is not self-bailing, but does have a raised deck that drains to a bilge, and due to the added beam it might check more of the boxes you've expressed in your earlier posts. You can even get them with configured with 2 back-to back seats to seat 4, as you've previously mentioned as desirable.

Good luck with your continued search for the perfect boat, it's hard to find one that does everything!

-Mike

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP: I wouldn't worry too much about it. I also was worried about the lack of scuppers when I bought my 19 but it wasn't a big issue in the real world.

As long as you dont take a large wave into the cockpit , you'll be fine.

The 22s aren't self bailing either and most Brats arent losing sleep over it.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
curioustraveler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeR you've done your homework on me! You're right...we've been all over the place with trying to find the perfect boat. It started with our neighbor with a 22 Cruiser that has sat in his driveway untouched for several years. I fell in love with the style. For numerous reasons (budget being one) we decided it wasn't the best boat for us right now. I toyed with the idea of a 16 but don't think that'll really accomplish what I'm hoping for. Now I'm fascinated by the 19.

I'm actually not concerned with taking water over the sides since the bilge pump will take care of that. I'm just curious if any C-brats who leave there's in the water find it annoying the cockpit isn't self bailing (when washing her down or after a heavy rain storm for example.) My experience has been with sailboats that are all self bailing so that's where I'm coming from.

Sounds like no one seems to have a problem. And a canvas top certainly would be on the wish list.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a reason the 22 is the most popular C-Dory model. If you like the idea of the 19, the 22 is essentially a 19 with a galley and a dinette... meaning you can spend more time on the boat in comfort.

Yes, there are happy 19 owners, but there are a LOT more 22 owners (which also means there are far more 22s on the used market). I am not trying to talk you out of anything, just suggesting that you might want to compare what you get for your money with both boats.

Good luck with the search.
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with everybody else in this post. Drainage for a CD22 is not a problem. It rains a lot here in the midwest, especially in the spring. I trailer my 22 up to L. Michigan every couple of weeks fish from two to five days at a time for salmonids. I slip the boat at the marinas in transient slips.

The two bilges in a 22 (one under the motor well and one at the cockpit) do a great job of keeping the water out of the rear deck. I've been is some pretty heavy deluges in the slips and out on the water, and never had to worry about how the water gets out. The bilges are wired to automatic and come on as needed (I can also turn them on manually if needed).

Bob is right about the slant back/mooring cover for the rear cockpit. The cover works very well and directs water to the motor well which drains through two holes on the starboard and port ends of same. I do not have one of these covers yet. I'm working on fabricating a cover now.

Of course, their is a central drain hole in the 19 and 22 and the water drains out while on the trailer should any water get in.

All this good drainage is contingent on keeping the bilges and cockpit drain clean of course, and I'm sure other boaters work as hard as I do keeping pumps operable and drain holes clean.

Good luck

CD 22 Cruiser "FRESH FISH: 2018 to present.
CD 16 Angler "OPA": 2013 to 2019.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newer 22s only have one bilge under the motor well at the aft center of the boat. There is no bilge pump in the cabin any more (08 and later).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: