View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Google Ads Reply with quote

Running this site is not incredibly expensive, the cost of which Mike and I are happy to split. And before I go further...please don't offer to help out with expenses, that's not the purpose of this post. Every time the subject of site expenses comes up, we get tons of offers for aid, which while appreciated greatly are just not something Mike and I are interested in...it's a "money and friends" kind of thing, and it's worked out really well keeping the two separate.

Anyway, while the cost is very reasonable now, we've pretty much reached the limit of shared server accounts. We're on what's called a "semi-dedicated" plan, which means we share a single, very high performance server, with about 5 other sites. The next plan upgrade, while not imminent, will be costly. We'll need to go to a dedicated server, and the hosting plans for those (from reputable and reliable providers) start at about $100/month. Given our current rate of growth, if I had to guess, we'll need to start thinking about this in 9-12 months.

Since day one, Mike and I have committed to keeping the C-Brats 100% ad free. I'm not speaking for Mike, but my take on this was the desire to keep the site interface clean and uncluttered, and to prevent the appearance of any loyalty or influence from a particular vendor. We also have no desire to turn the C-Brats into a for-profit venture.

Times change, and so does technology...

We have the capability to deliver relatively unobtrusive text ads (no pictures, no flashing banners) from Google (here's a link to their Adsense program.) The ads are targeted to the content displayed on a page, and Google gives you the ability to prevent certain types of ads, or ads from specific vendors.

Starting today, we'll be experimenting with these ads, in a very low-key kind of way. Basically, we're only going to display them for folks who are not signed in. If you login automatically each time you come here, you won't even see them.

Based on feedback I've seen from other people using Google AdSense, the revenue typically pays for most or all of a site's hosting costs. I'm not sure we can expect that if we only display them for guests, but we could probably still pay for a good size chunk of the hosting fees, while not affecting the majority of our participating users.

Another option we may investigate, if the "guest ads" don't produce significant revenue - an "opt-out" selection in a user's profile. With this configuration, the text ads would display for everyone, unless a member selected the "don't display ads" option in their profile.

Basically...I hate ads, many of you do as well, and we're going to attempt this little experiment with the goal of allowing folks to continue to see the site as it always has been, if they so choose - ad free, and uncluttered.

If you automatically login each time you visit, and are curious what the ads look like, just click the "Log out" link in the upper right corner. You'll then see a small box of text ads under the main menu, and a large box of text ads on the home page in the lower right corner. Once you log back in, all of the ads will disappear.

As always, feel free to let us know what you think.

Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it. Just as long as popup ads are forever banned....!

Don
KenG

City/Region: Tucson
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: agree, go for it ... Reply with quote

If the adverts really are appropriate its not a problem. If folks don't like it they can go elsewhere.

Love Tux
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I logged out and looked at the ads. I don't see a problem with them and would not mind if they showed when I logged in. Heck who knows, I might even look at some and end up buying something.

You should open the page for the link to the ad in a new page instead of opening it in the current browser, if they will allow it.

The only ads I dislike are pop-ups and flashing banner ads or ads that take up a large portion of the screen.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Google Ads Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

Like others, I logged out and went looking to see what you're talking about. Being PC challenged, it probably took me longer than a normal person.

I did find that there was a new section labeled Google Ads on the right side of the Home page. It was very Unobtrusive. Although the current Ads had no appeal, they also had no negative aspects. If this is what you're talking about, it is certainly acceptable to me. It wouldn't be a problem to me if this was on the Home Page whenever I enter the site. Of course I usually go straight to Messages since my last visit, which means I won't see them, I think.

I certainly appreciate the effort you guys put in to maintaining this site and am willing to put up with some Ads if that is the best way for you guys to go.

Rick from Maine
Da Nag

Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Google Ads Reply with quote

Rick from Maine wrote:
Although the current Ads had no appeal, they also had no negative aspects.

Hi Rick,

That's a key point...since Google controls the ad content, it's a valid concern that ads may show up for something we don't want appearing on the site.

Since the ads are mostly keyword driven by our site content, I don't expect too many problems. However, Google does provide for "blacklisting" - we can add sites that should never appear in ads if necessary.

And again...this is somewhat of an experiment at this point. If there's no return on the ad revenue, or anything else problematic crops up, we'll certainly reconsider things.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried it out and agree that the ads are not obtrusive. Obviously, I immediately focused on the ad entitled "walk on water".....thinking of course....cool, maybe I won't have to purchase a dinghy after all as I can just swing my legs over the gunwales and walk to shore....but then to my disappointment I saw that it is merely a pontoon boat that you stand on and excercise your legs to move the vessel. So, I'm back to the "dinghy" thoughts unless the temperature gets a bit cooler around here and the Puget Sound turns to "hard water".

(In summation, the pop-ups are fine with me).

C-Brat #16
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the Nerds- both of yas,
As noted in previous posts- the adds seem to be unobtrusive and (so far) in the context of the site. I, also, don't like pop ups (I block popups) , flashing banners and over size adds.
Thanks for all your dedication to keeping the site open.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Google Ads Reply with quote

Da Nag wrote:
Rick from Maine wrote:
Although the current Ads had no appeal, they also had no negative aspects.

Hi Rick,

That's a key point...since Google controls the ad content, it's a valid concern that ads may show up for something we don't want appearing on the site.

Since the ads are mostly keyword driven by our site content, I don't expect too many problems. However, Google does provide for "blacklisting" - we can add sites that should never appear in ads if necessary.

My take - do whatever you want - you guys have done a great job so far and I'm appreciative of whatever you do. While you already said you don't want to hear this... if the ads get to be a problem, I (and many others) would happily chip in. Give the google ads a try though - sometimes the ad they put up can be interesting. Their way of picking a "related ad" can sometimes be amusing. On a site I visited a few weeks ago on making drift boats, there was a page on a boat made by a guy whose name is "Rich Anema". Google kept putting up ads for a device to perform a procedure that sounds like his last name. Some were medical ads, some were sex related... Laughing I thought it was hilarious but might have a different view if I shared Rich's last name Laughing

Best,
Roger on the SeaDNA

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea to me. You say the ads are content driven? well no more post about stripper fishing.
416rigby

C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it...whatever it takes to keep it up and running. I, too hate pop up ads, and block them. Keep up the great work, gents.

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There won't be any pop-ups. This is one of the few sites I have set to allow them so I get the PM notification.

The issue with the stripper fishing, however, is a valid concern.

gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamefishin.Com has been running the Google text ads for a couple months now. I know that Bruce has been doing quite well from the click-throughs. They are unobtrusive and seem to work well. I see no reason that you shouldn't put them on here to help offset the expense of this site. And in fact would have no problem seeing them even when logged in. Depending on how you do it they can be just a second tool bar.

As Roger said it can sometimes be interesting to see what the ads are for. Just be advised that every time you click on one it rememebers who you are and what you clicked on! So the more off the wall stuff you click on the more off the wall stuff will get displayed on the next page as it learns your likes dislikes.

woodduck

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: C Dory
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Cost of running this web site. Reply with quote

You have to do what you have to do. I doubt there is anyone out there who would do what you do for free and I appreciate your efforts very much. If running ads on the web site is necessary, do it. Thanks very much. Ken Ray
jimandlaurie

City/Region: Puyallup
Photos: Laurna Jo
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, if it keeps us up and running smooth we are all for it!

2004 C-Dory Skiff- Little Poit Dhubh
2005 C-Dory 25 Cruiser -sold 2103
2002- C-Dory 22 Cruiser- Sold 2005
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Site News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: