The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Rear Camera

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Waypoint-

City/Region: Jensen Beach, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Photos: Waypoint
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Rear Camera Reply with quote

Was wondering if anyone has tried installing a rear view camera?

I am using a ultra large mirror mounted on top of the v birth entrance. I really miss the space and view out forward middle window. So I'm looking into installing one of those RV cameras with a 7" HD wireless monitor. I could use it in the truck to when towing the boat down the road.

I tried a smaller mirror and I'm not happy at all with it.

srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark n Yuka
Art Bartlet installed one on Sea Angel a while back. The new ones are relatively inexpensive and straight forward to install. I
I have been considering mounting one on my boat, but have not decided on how to mount the camera aft, so the top does not block it’s view.
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album477&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why limit yourself to spending a few hundred when you could spend thousands on something like this - http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Almost-there&id=IMG_0255&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

After all its almost Christmas - treat yourself!! Mr. Green Mr. Green

Regards,

Rob

P.S. We rented a 32' houseboat a few years ago. Unless you had a lookout on the rear deck yelling at you down the hallway - reversing was done from memory. A camera would have been seriously welcomed on that floating boxcar! Their insurance regs. would not allow you to operate it in port from the upper station.

san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed the camera's on my past boats.
The camera should have the highest rating for "wet" locations.
Most important, for a small boat with open windshield location " sunlight viewable screen". Cheapest way to get this is to find a model that plugs into a camera. These would have a sunlight viewable screen. Purchased off of ebay, 7" screen for about $ 250 dollars.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 9" (not necessary to have that large but was already on the boat), monitor mounted form the ceiling, with the camera right above the door. The rig is by Tadi Brothers. I have a separate wired system (7" monitor), I use for the back up/trailering camera. I may convert the boat to "wired" also. We may move the camera to the top of the radar arch for a better view when the Bimini/full camping enclosure is in place.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a fairly small, curved mirror mounted up on the overhead shelf that I can use to see the cockpit. It was placed for being able to monitor that area if I had anyone with me, and was out back as we were steaming. It is not for watching for rear approaching traffic. (That is what the radar is for Rolling Eyes

I also have a camera that mounts just inside the door, facing out to see the cockpit, and traffic lanes beside and behind. The monitor for that is wireless and in the truck. This is a huge asset when towing, especially in congested traffic areas. The camera is an I-Ball, and I modified it to take a hard wire 12VDC power instead of the 9 volt battery which only gave about 3-4 hours of towing use. It plugs into the Cig lighter on the boat for continuous power for all day towing. Love it.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

JMacLeod

City/Region: Stuart
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-Shalom
Photos: JMacLeod
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Camera Reply with quote

-Waypoint- wrote:
Was wondering if anyone has tried installing a rear view camera?

Bought a cheap one to play around with off Amazon while thinking about towing the nieces/nephew on a tube.
Clipped it to the overhang above the door and ran it into the video input of the Garmin chartplotter.

Held up well to being offshore and kept on a lift for several months.
The "clip clips" I used to hold it up rusted away, but the cam is still working fine.

Personally the angle is a little wider and more distorted than I was hoping for family videos, so I'm looking into a Garmin or GoPro type replacement for the future.

JMacLeod

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:

Just a few more radios, and you'll be able to listen to ALL the channels at the same time.
Laughing
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the album that was supposed to show the mirror above the SH (white) radio. Looks like it got missed. Anyway, the multiple VHF's cover the basic need channels Wink

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two cameras clipped to the roof overhang looking backward. They are outdoor security type cameras and look a little funny up there, but with the limited aft view on the original CD25 they are a big help for watching fish poles while trollng. They give me a good view of what is behind the boat, too.

My older 10" Garmin has two video inputs so I can set it to alternate between the two aft cameras or stay on either one of them. One of the cameras is also feeding the TV so the passenger can watch the pole on one side while the driver watches the other camera. I know, it's weird, but we are old folks and it rains a lot around here.

A third camera is in the anchor locker so I can watch the rode pile up when running the windlass. If it is anchoring season and not trolling season I have it fed to the Garmain at the helm and switch to it as needed.

Like I said, the cameras look a little silly up there in the back but they serve me well and I am not displaying the boat at the boat show so I'm good with them. However, this discussion got me looking at the backup cams on Amazon and I see the sizes, quality and prices are down quite a bit from when I last looked a few years ago. I picked out one to order and will try it out when the boat comes home for a spell after crabbing is done.

-Waypoint-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleep-C the photo of all the radios made me laugh. That's how my boat is looking but with mirrors! Lots of great camera mounting ideas. Thanks for all the great ideas.
I’m mainly trying to see behind the boat while transiting to see who is trying to overtake us. On the weekends the intercostal waterway in Florida is like a superhighway sometimes.
I realized that I have a GoPro camera that can clip anywhere on the boat, so I'm thinking of trying that to get an idea of the view I'm trying to achieve. I can view it from the phone for now. I think the camera battery will only last about an hour. But should get an idea with no money invested and holes drilled at this point. (before I get something more official)
C-Shalom looks like you’re in the same county! (thought I was the only C-Dory around) Thanks for camera recommendation. Planning to be at the Hoontoon Island CD Gathering in March. Maybe we’ll see you out on the water.
JMacLeod

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Waypoint- wrote:
C-Shalom looks like you’re in the same county! (thought I was the only C-Dory around)

There'll be another out-of-town C-brat passing through the Stuart area the weekend of the 4th.
Unfortunately the admiral and I have surgeries scheduled up in central FL before the end of the year, so I don't know if we'll be able to bring the tomcat down yet, but we're going to try.
Either way, if you're around thenabouts, we're always ready to meet up at the downtown docks and grab a mahi sandwich and cold one at the Boathouse.
Maybe if the timing's right, we'll have a "micro" cbrat gathering in a couple weeks.
-Waypoint-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Shalom, gotta love any C-Dory gathering! Planning to attend the Stuart boat show the second week of January sometime. Going to start the repowering shopping process there. Totally forgot about the Stuart docks that sound like fun. After being a new C-Dory owner this year, recently joining this site, and already starting to make friends. This is truly a very nice website! Thanks again for the camera recommendations. Enjoy the holidays and the new year y'all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: