The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New C-Dory Owner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killinitink2

City/Region: klemtu
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: New C-Dory Owner Reply with quote

Hey C-Brats,

I recently purchased an '83 classic that had been prepped for paint and out of the water for some time. I must say, a major reason I decided on C-dory was because of this great site/community. I am located in Klemtu, BC with my wife and 3 kids under 4. We are excited for the day trips and short camping trips that this boat will allow us to do.

I had the majority of the hull painted, up to the gunwhales. the cockpit, cabin and other trim above the waterline will be done next winter.

My 75 honda was reconstructed and I am adding a 9.9 honda when I get it to my location.

Below are my questions/wonderings before I get it in the water.

1. Does someone have the exact measurements of the Cuddy? I want to get cushions made before it is delivered.
2. I am thinking of adding one of those Chinese Diesel heaters (knock of webasto, espar) Any suggestions/insights? This would be a DIY install.
3. I want to build a bench along the port side of the cabin and a box for the Pilots seat and to enclose the Diesel heater. Any suggestions for DIY tutorials for this project?
4. I am still needing to purchase gps/sonar. I have been leaning towards Hummingbird but i am also open to considering gps/sonar/radar options. Any thoughts/suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.
5. Lastly, since my c-dory will have a brand new paint job. And I am a brand new boat owner. I am open to suggestions for docking to keep the paint as clean as possible.

I have gained so much knowledge because of this site and look forward to engaging with the c-brats as i make this dream a reality!

Justin
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only piece of advice I can offer is electrical anda heating alternative. The Espar knock off will draw 4-5 amps when it is running. So at 50% duty cycle it will draw 60 amp hours over a 24 hour period. That will run down a Group 24 battery to 10% (50% is optimum) so you will probably need more batteries and a way to recharge them plus you need to protect one battery to start the engine. You can only expect maybe 10 amps from the engine so you may not be running enough to recharge the batteries the next day.

A Wallas stove/heater uses much less current which is why you see them on C-Dorys in cold climates, but they are expensive.

So... Consider a Mr Heater, Wave or similar propane radiant heater. I would not use one at night when everyone is asleep but would be comfortable running it in the evening before or after bed in the morning.

You will have to find a space for a propane locker that will drain overboard in case of a failure. That may be a big problem, but finding space for more batteries might be an equal problem.

David
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"5. Lastly, since my c-dory will have a brand new paint job. And I am a brand new boat owner. I am open to suggestions for docking to keep the paint as clean as possible."

I can help here Wink Don' t approach the dock any faster than you want to hit it Disgust and Ramming speed does ramming things to paint, gelcoat and fiberglass...usually before it does things to docks, cleats, or big boat swim platforms. Remember, neutral is your friend.

Welcome and congrats on the new to you C-Dory. It will be a great investment in family. Enjoy.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can sometimes find deals on a used Wallas stove. I found one from another c-brat who didn't want anymore, at a fair price. I called Scan Marine direct and they sent out all the extra parts I would need to install in my boat, such as the through hull fitting, and exhaust tubing. A couple of afternoons worth of labor, and I now have a Wallas in our boat for a small fraction of what a new one would have cost.

With 3 kids under 4, I'd be hesitant to use an unvented propane heater. Propane isn't the safest fuel to have on a boat, and carbon monoxide poisoning scares the hell out of me.

Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will find in my album, photos of the "bench seat" I built on the port side.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New C-Dory Owner Reply with quote

killinitink2 wrote:
5. Lastly, since my c-dory will have a brand new paint job. And I am a brand new boat owner. I am open to suggestions for docking to keep the paint as clean as possible. ...

Your paint is going to get dinged sooner or later (just like your new car). It's going to happen.

"Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Granted you don't want to be cavalier about it, but there are more important things to think about when docking a boat than the paint job. IMO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: