The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

white smoke and water from port honda BF90A, 2006

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krc

City/Region: SF Bay Area
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: krc
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:51 pm    Post subject: white smoke and water from port honda BF90A, 2006 Reply with quote

I started noticing the port engine exhaust above the water line puffing some white smoke and sputtering water. Motor seems to run fine - no alarms going off that I can tell and seems to start fine, and run find at idle and at WOT.

CD25, 2006, port 850 hrs, starboard 606 hrs, 2006 BF90A (carb)

Any ideas?

dropbox link to pic and video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5kasj7nbz86ztyo/IMG-6512.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/29c5wlh0xt1t9vo/IMG-6513.MOV?dl=0
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks more like steam or water vapor than smoke to me. Is the motor fully warmed up in the video?

Where is this white vapor coming from? The motor exhaust is underwater. It seems that the vapor is coming from the head someplace, but I can't think of any outlets on the upper part of the engine (at least on a BF90D).
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: white smoke and water from port honda BF90A, 2006 Reply with quote

[quote="krc"]I started noticing the port engine exhaust above the water line puffing some white smoke and sputtering water. Motor seems to run fine - no alarms going off that I can tell and seems to start fine, and run find at idle and at WOT.

CD25, 2006, port 850 hrs, starboard 606 hrs, 2006 BF90A (carb)

Any ideas?

Once the thermostat opens there is a oval port that the steam is coming out of. There is a pict. in my album (new browser I can't figure out posting)If the oil is not milky your ok. I would look at the temp of both engines, I'll bet one needs a new stat. Wink

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=JMR_II&id=Honda_90_LI&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
krc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pic and video are after cruising at about 4000 rpm (18kn) for about an hour. There is no temp gauge as far as I can tell on the boat but I assume a high temp warning at the ignition would light up or sound. I guess I can hit the head and block with an ir temp gauge and see if there is a difference between port/starboard.

I will also pull the plugs and see if one is very clean (indicating - from some other sites - I might have a leaking gasket) and possibly do a compression test.

Anyone do a compression test on these engines? For a car, I would pull the fuel pump relay to the injectors. I suspect with carb engine I can only pull the fuel line off the engine - right?
krc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And will look more closely at the oil... thx
krc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: update.... Reply with quote

Ok - I did check the spark plugs and they look fine. Not wet at all, etc... Oil in dipstick looked fine as well - no water/milky anything. I did a compression test on all four cylinders and they were all about 125 so no differences. When I started the motor, my ir heat temp guage showed max up to 140 at idle. Also, steam doesn't seem to be coming out of that mid exhaust - just water. I see in another thread that this may be okay as it indicates some sort of blockage down through the prop, but not sure how to look at this. Is there something to do to flush out that exhaust side that might help? I usually flush after every use, alternating between salt-away and muffs and using the flushing port (for that I flush with fresh water for 10min). Any ideas? The starboard engine has zero water out the mid exhaust - so there is something definitely different. The PORT engine does stumble a bit at low idle and is a bit harder to start than the star board engine. What should my next course of action be? Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: