The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Pacific Trailer rating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CDory23

State or Province: CA
Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Pacific Trailer rating Reply with quote

I've always felt the single axle Pacific trailer that came with my 2003 22' C Dory Cruiser was a little undersized. I recently had to replace the leaf springs (one broke) and purchased springs rated for a 3500lb trailer. They look very similar to my old ones yet with the weight of the boat on the trailer they pretty much go flat and and aren't offering much suspension. I can't find a model# on the Pacific Trailer and wanted to know if anybody had anymore information on this common trailer that came with this year and style of boat. Is it actually a 3500lb axle trailer? I'm not ready to purchase a new trailer, but may want to beef up these leaf springs.

Thanks
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDory23,
One of the few vendors in todays world that will talk to you is Pacific Trailers. My trimaran trailer is a Pacific and they have not only been helpful with repairs for my 1993 trimaran boat trailer, they have also sold me the OEM parts (which they stock), at a very reasonable rate. I recently did brake work on my Cape Cruiser Magic Tilt trailer and the best price to replace the coupler was through Pacific Trailer.
I do have a local company that specializes in trailer parts (Portsmouth Trailer), so it usually is very convent to get what I need from them, but they sell more generic trailer parts, that usually are not the exact replacement for parts that I need, so OEM parts usually save time in this regard.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a tire store in San Clemente CA, crushed one of the main hydraulic lines on my Pacific Trailer, I towed it up to Pacific's factory in Chino. Not only did they have the exact lines in stock, but for the price of the lines, they installed and bleed them. Could not ask for better service.

As for a 3500 lb capacity trailer for a C Dory 22--If that is the rating, it is definitely undersized for the boat. Perhaps for a yard trailer to take a mile or so to the ramp. If it is a 3500# axle, talk to Pacific about what it would take to upgrade to 5000 lbs. The trailers can be rated two ways: one load capacity, the other total weight capacity: that includes the weight of the trailer. Even a single axle can be in the 800 to 1000% category. Leaving....only 2500# for a boat which weighs considerably more when rigged.

Be safe. I had a single axle trailer, I realized it was marginal--so didn't replace it. The tongue broke--and that resulted in a tow, and having to buy a new (used) trailer right there....It turned out I got an excellent tandem axle used trailer, but it was the luck of the draw, and a very wonderful dedicated crew who stayed until 9 PM on a rainy Friday Night to get the C Dory 22 moved the the "new" trailer, and adjusting it properly for the boat....

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will second the super service from Pacific Trailers. I have had 2 of their trailers and no problem with either. I traded from single axle to tandem, upgraded the landing gear and the winch on both, replaced the bunks on the first one, and eventually lowered the bunks on the tandem. I have talked to them multiple times, (they even did some custom bunk risers for me for the lowering job), and have always been very helpful.

Agree with Bob, your 3500# trailer is too light for a 22. You should be looking at a 5K #. Pacific will help you with sorting out what your trailer is and where you need to go.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

CDory23

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies. As stated Pacific Trailers was very helpful. The 5 lug single axle trailers are 3500# axles and the 6 lug are 5200# axles. Unfortunately I have a 5 lug trailer which means I'm undersize for the loss of 2003 22' cruiser with twin Yamahas. I'm unsure what to do at this point as the trailer has been working fine the last 5 or so years I have owned the boat. The leaf springs I put on should have been the same rating but they are clearly showing they are overloaded since they have no bend in them. I bought 27" long springs, but Pacific stated they should be 26 1/4". I dont know if that could make any difference. He said they probably measured 27" or being under that stress for so long. It's unfortunate it was originally sold with such a underrated trailer. I may consider putting the beefier leaf springs on and going from there.
CDory23

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies. As stated Pacific Trailers was very helpful. The 5 lug single axle trailers are 3500# axles and the 6 lug are 5200# axles. Unfortunately I have a 5 lug trailer which means I'm undersize for the loss of 2003 22' cruiser with twin Yamahas. I'm unsure what to do at this point as the trailer has been working fine the last 5 or so years I have owned the boat. The leaf springs I put on should have been the same rating but they are clearly showing they are overloaded since they have no bend in them. I bought 27" long springs, but Pacific stated they should be 26 1/4". I dont know if that could make any difference. He said they probably measured 27" or being under that stress for so long. It's unfortunate it was originally sold with such a underrated trailer. I may consider putting the beefier leaf springs on and going from there.
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like if you are going to the trouble to change out the leaf springs, it wouldn't be that much more work to change to the 5200 axles. But it would be more $$$$ and I get that. If it was my trailer I would do both the springs and the axles and have the upgrade you really need under your boat. It would be the last time you would need to do that.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not entirely clear that just putting a different axle, wheels and tires and springs will really make this a #5,000 trailer. It also involves the pole tongue, the frame and cross members being lighter in a lower rated trailer. Unfortunately a number of dealers thru the years have cheapened out on the trailer with a lower capacity. If only to and from a ramp a few miles, it will probably be OK. Longer trips--more risk of major failure.
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob is right in that it could be a "too light" frame, but that would need to be covered with the Pacific Trailer folks. If the frame is capable, build up the running gear.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

CDory23

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in Contact with Pacific Trailers and found out it is actually a 4200lb axle because it is 2x3, opposed to a 2x2 axle. They still call it a 3500lb axle because of the spindles. I'm waiting to hear back after emailing them some pictures and VIN of my trailer so they can research why it was paired with the boat originally. With my 2600lb dry weight + estimate of 500lbs of gear, 400lbs for motors and 400 lbs for full tanks of gas I"m getting close to the 4200lb limit. I may take the boat to the scale to get a true reading, and I will hear back from Pacific tomorrow. It is refreshing how great their customer service is.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truth be told, a new trailer is probably more cost efficient in the long run than trying to make an old worn out marginal one beefier and stronger. How much does a brand new tandem EZ Loader cost these days anyway? I'm kinda curious myself as my trailer is nearing the end of its useful life.

But you can pull a 22 with a good single axle trailer and I have been pulling a very heavy CD 22 on crummy Alaska roads with a single axle EZ Loader for decades. It can be done, but I will concede mine has 6 lug wheels, E rated radial tires, and a very thick and tall frame compared to others I have seen. It doesn't say anywhere, but I'd guess it's at least a 4500-5500 pound trailer. 6 Roblees says it has a 6000 pound axle under it. It looks just like a tandem axle trailer, it's just they forgot to add the second axle. Yours might be the similst to mine. If so, it is a sturdy trailer.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is always important to weigh the boat and trailer, loaded as it is for the road. Also be sure that you understand the difference between a trailer which can carry a load of 4500 lbs, vs a trailer whose total capacity (which includes the trailer weight of 800 to 1000 or so #) is 4500 lbs--it would only be able to carry less than 3700 lbs. Just using "factory weights" can be very misleading.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: