The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Anyone using a Drotto Boat Latch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forfun1960

City/Region: Carmi
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Journey former Noro Lim
Photos: Journey
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Anyone using a Drotto Boat Latch Reply with quote

I can't get my Dory up on the bunk trailer without getting on the tongue and winching her up to stay put against the roller.

Wondering if anyone is using or see one of these in use?

This looks like it can be the fix.

https://www.boat2trailerhookup.com/

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not seen that product before,

I can't always get the trailer down into the water quite enough to float the boat on that far. We don't power the boat up as the energy exerted at the contact point is just begging to hurt something or someone. We float it on and winch it in. Nice boots make it comfortable and I do have to stand on the trailer occasionally at odd launch locations.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone using a Drotto Boat Latch Reply with quote

Forfun1960 wrote:
I can't get my Dory up on the bunk trailer without getting on the tongue and winching her up to stay put against the roller.

Wondering if anyone is using or see one of these in use?

This looks like it can be the fix.

https://www.boat2trailerhookup.com/

If the boat does not get fully on the trailer without winching, how is the boat2trailer thing going to help? You have to get the boat up to the stop to get it to engage.

Usually we can get the boat off the trailer without getting out of the truck. One person stands on the dock with the lines and the trailer is back in until the boat floats. Sometimes a tug on the lines is needed or the roll it backwards/apply brakes method works.

Retrieving usually requires winching. I can make my way through my vehicle to the trailer winch without getting wet though. In the areas we boat, powerloading is very frowned upon.
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am tired of wading into cold water or perching myself onto the trailer to hook the boat up. Not a good idea to keep doing this as I get older, so I am going to be installing a Drotto latch this boating season. I talked with guys who have them, and have checked with the manufacturer if a fiberglass boat is appropriate for their device.

The folks at Drotto told me that their unit will handle boats up to 7,000 lbs. Probably OK for CD's up to a 23. I believe that the rubbage against the fiberglass will need to be to be checked with some kind of a guard so that the gel coat or paint is not damaged.

Other users say that the latch doesn't always catch, but that only matters while at the ramp. Once you are ready to pull the boat out of the water, you hook up the boat to the winch anyway.

CD 22 Cruiser "FRESH FISH: 2018 to present.
CD 16 Angler "OPA": 2013 to 2019.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgeorges wrote:
I too am tired of wading into cold water or perching myself onto the trailer to hook the boat up. Not a good idea to keep doing this as I get older...

https://www.amazon.com/TideWe-Wader-Lightweight-Women-Fishing/dp/B078C7N8KR/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3KTR55KPGNC90&dchild=1&keywords=thigh+waders+for+men&qid=1574710384&sprefix=Thigh+waders%2Caps%2C211&sr=8-2

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at similar gadgets a few years ago. One of the complaints was that users kept torquing the catch by not judging the right amount of speed required. I think that's common with all "motor on" situations.

Another problem for me is that I often launch solo and not at the dock (if there is one) because it is so busy. If I clicked into a catch gadget and then don't have somebody to pull the rig out, I then have to climb over the bow rail and jump down off of the bow into thigh deep water. Even worse is the "Flying Wallenda" tight rope act up the tongue of the trailer. Both are way more inconvenient/dangerous than wading in knee deep water.

For me, it is easier to just put on wading pants, maneuver the boat onto the trailer, and winch it up. Simple for a CD 16, anyway. My DIY wading pants are in my photo album. Even fancy GorTex waders are probably cheaper than the catch system.

The most difficult part is what to do with salty wet wading pants and crocks. I rusted out the bed of a pickup by throwing stuff like that in the back. Maybe I need to carry a dish pan.

Mark

[img]http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2462&id=102_0052&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought taller fishing boots.
With our steep local ramp I want both the winch strap and the safety chain on as my trailer has rollers. If a mechanical device failed it would be a disaster.

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would depend on the ramp--but it would be unusual for us to have the geometry correct to get the latch properly caught, while the stern is still floating....
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: boat2trailer Reply with quote

Most of the concrete ramps on the upper Mississippi River have finite ends. If low water conditions are present, I see power loading to be a potential for damage to the leg by striking concrete. This would be an especially easy mistake to make when the water is muddy which it frequently is.
johnd

City/Region: DEMING
Vessel Name: NOTAYOT
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have some concerns about stepping off a moving boat to the dock, wind, wakes, and current with no Life jacket. What picture comes to mind ?

Before we got our C-dory I made sure my gal has long enough legs for my hip boots, so she deals with the boat launch and retrieval on the winch end while I guide and secure the boat from the dock, while both of us are wearing life jackets.

I back the trailer in till the boat floats or I hear bubbling sounds. (pickup exhaust)

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea for some people but I would not trust it past they top of the ramp with out a safety chain. I think its a great idea for smaller boats but not for my 27. or a 22 dory. The wench strap is for far more then just pulling the boat up the trailer . its for getting that boat good and tight to the trailer. I do not see how this will do that. maybe used to secure the boat for the trip up the ramp or to pull forward enough to attach the wench and tighten it from dry land??/ I could see that as a use but not as an replacement for a wench.

If you are looking to not get your feet wet the maybe this is the ticket. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDAy4ZFhpv4

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd pass on this product too. I see the application role but don't think it's perfect for everyone.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Forfun1960

City/Region: Carmi
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Journey former Noro Lim
Photos: Journey
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would give this unit a try as I single-hand my boat a lot. I installed this weekend. Only used once as the ramp was busy with lots of fishermen this weekend what I see I like just bump up against and it latches. Will keep posting more as I use it.

You can see photos in my album at:
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album3064&id=Boat_to_Trailer_unit_3903&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: