View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catch 22

City/Region: Lynnwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Catch 22
Photos: Catch 22
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Launching out of Vancouver, BC for 10 days Reply with quote

Hey all,

We want to launch out of Vancouver, BC next summer for a 10-12 day trip. We are looking to head north and see new places. Any suggestions??? We will be a 25’ and a 22’ C-dory. Just getting started planning this so any and all suggestions are welcome. I am sure we will run into some new C-brats up there too so we look forward to that, too.

chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a stupid question. you fishing?

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not trailer even further north than Vancouver and save the slog up the Strait of Georgia.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, depending on the destination, you can ferry over from Tsawwassen to Duke point (nanaimo) then trailer up to Comox, Campbell river, or all the way to telegraph cove all in one day. I would recommend the discovery islands area and the broughtons area for sure. It will cost you about 250 bucks each way but save lots of time and boat gas depending on how far north you would like to get. I did this trip three times in the last few months by kayak and boat.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did a 10 day trip out of Telegraph Cove with a stay in the condo there at the start and finish. A little pricey, but I got "points" from the wife for that one. 10 days on a CD 16 is doable, but hot showers and a queen bed at the finish was
very nice. Even if the weather is bad, the Broughtons to Telegraph is generally okay at least some point in the day. Not so with Johnstone Narrows. The Narrows can sometimes vary from bad to really, really bad for a couple of days. Might make a 10 day trip into a 12 day trip. If your trailer is on the Island, I'd launch further north.

Launching at Comox makes sense if you want to see the wonderful metropolis of Powell River.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would second Greg's advice to trailer up (Vancouver Island). I have done that several times to Telegraph Cove, and to Campbell River (CR Storage) and gone up on the wayer from Sequim too. Both are fun but the ferry and trailer are faster and cheaper if the goal is to get north and spend time up there. I can make it from Sequim to Telegraph Cove in less than 24 hours. It 3 long days on the boat at wau fast planning speed and 4 fuel stops if you are into cutting things close.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never done the run from the Vancouver Side but it doesn't look too bad with Bowen Island, Sechelt, smugglers cove, halfmoon bay, secret cove, Edgmont, Princess Louisa Inlet, Harmony Islands, Texada...... It could be a month of exploring before even making desolation sound.

My boat partner was in Edgmont and Princess Louisa in September and had an amazing time. He launched mid Vancouver Island.

From someone who has spent years of his life on BC Ferries, I would take your boats and as long as the weather was good run from Vancouver up!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going north from Vancouver it would be easy to use up 12 days and not make Desolation Sound. The run from Vanc up Georgia Strait can be "interesting", as in bumpy, so keep a good weather eye. My first long trip in the C-Dory was Vanc to Princess Louisa and we had big waves both directions, (8ft following seas one way, and 4-5ft returning), but the trip was worth every minute.

In that 12 days I would check out PLI, and Sechelt Inlet and Harmony Islands. Fuel at Egmont and community dock if there is room.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: