Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Happiest day of a boat owner’s life Reply with quote

I’m getting tired of the old adage; “the happiest day of a boat owner’s life is the day they buy the boat and the day they sell it.” Over this past late spring, summer, and early fall, Joanie and I have enjoyed “C Sharp” - our 2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser immensely. Buying it was enjoyable, although filled with apprehension as most significant purchases are, it pales in comparison with the happiness that we’ve derived from it immediately in our first season.

In fact, the happiness started well before buying C Sharp and I would say it started right after my first post on the C-Brats Forum as I not only received informative responses to my questions, but was also warmly welcomed into the group! Many members gracefully responded to my threads, but also replied via personal messages with many being quite thorough and incredibly informative. The resource of the C-Brat community was incredible which made me comfortable right from the start that the C-Dory was the boat for us. I’ve been members of many over forums, mostly revolving around bicycles, motorcycles, airplanes, etc., but what amazed me the most was the consistent helpfulness and respectfulness that permeates through this forum. Sure, some may have a different opinion, but never have I read anyone being chastised or in any way being disrespected by another member, which often happens in other forums, especially in this currently politically tense climate.

So right off the bat, during my researching stage I was taken under the wings, or perhaps I should say; “under the flippers” of several well known members who helped guide me along. When a boat became available relatively nearby these members simultaneously made me aware if it and encouraged me to go have a look, and made themselves available to answer any and all questions I had. Sight unseen, I already had friends in the C-Dory community.

So right from the beginning there were happy days, and it only got better when Joanie & I finally meet C-Brats in person and soon after when attending our first CBGT in Friday Harbor. We were so warmly welcomed into the fold, and it almost made me suspicious that we might have been being indoctrinated into some sort of cult... Perhaps maybe it is a cult? If so, it would be one in the most positive sense. So immediately we meet more new friends making us feel welcomed and part of a community.

So many happy days with C-Dory folks at Friday Harbor and later the Bellingham CBGTs, and a few places in between. Every day out of the boat was a happy day as we had so much fun exploring areas we otherwise could not easily get to. Wonderful marinas and only water accessible state parks that are so clean and often not crowded. Encounter with members of the cruising community that we’ve meet on the docks and out on the water have been almost unanimously very pleasant and worthwhile and always make us look forward spending more time out.

So, so far the happiest day of owning C Sharp has NOT been the day I bought it (although that was fun) as there have already been so many other happy days enjoying it. I can’t but think they day I do sell it will be rather sad because of all the memories of these days and I’m sure many more to come. That is, perhaps unless that day I sell C Sharp may also be the day that I buy another, perhaps new C-Dory!
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Boat happiness Reply with quote

Yes we still enjoy our CC23 after having a cd 22 and cd 16 cruisers So even after the sadness of selling one you just buy the next size up Enjoy these boats they give many memories to all of us cbrats
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. The day I bought my boat was stressful and the day that I took delivery a bit terrifying! First trip has it's stressful moments, too. It was after we got more used to everything and grew in confidence that the experiences became much better. I would say that my/our best day was a day when the sky and the water and the banks of the river were all beautiful and the boat was in it's happy zone and I had an overwhelming feeling of "wow, this is cool---I love my boat!".
Now I have mine up for sale as we have other matters to pursue right now but there will be no great joy when it is gone. I still love my boat, glad that I bought it and had the adventures, and there just might be another C-Dory down the road a bit!

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extremely well said! Our "happiest day" with the boat, is usually the day we are on it--plus every day, there is joy being among friends on this wonderful forum!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here here! The happiest day for me was Monday, pulling up a couple of hundred Prawns with my Father on his first trip on the boat and his grandson. Warm cabin and lots of smiles.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this forum, it has been so helpful to me in setting up Sierra and makes owning a C-dory a real joy in addition to just owning a great boat.
1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
C-Val

City/Region: White Rock
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Seaduced
Photos: C-Val
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup! Sanding some bottom paint on my classic C Dory - Still Happy!

1988 22' Angler
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote Thataway - "No boat is an investment - except in pleasure"

Well said Bob! 8 years ago and late in life we took on a big chunk of debt to buy a new boat. That was stressful and I knew we would be lucky to ever recoup a small fraction of that outlay.

We have travelled(on the hard) numerous places and seen some amazing sights but my favorite memories are the ones made on our boat. 6 weeks on the Trent/Severn - joined a poker run on the St. Lawrence River - watched the sun set over our bow on Lake Huron - an afternoon on Lake Ontario when the water was oddly as ripple free as a bath tub - a nerve racking but memorable 120nm trip on Lake Erie - fishing many smaller lakes and rivers - these memories could not be bought any other way. Even after a crazy busy launch ramp once you are out on the water your troubles melt away and life is good.

C - Val - Yes I even enjoy working on my boat too! Sometimes it takes me a long time to get anything done because I end up sitting in it daydreaming instead of working! Wear protection sanding bottom coat - some contain nasty stuff and its hard to avoid it when working overhead.

Oh ya and then there is this place where you can connect with like minded boaters who become friends before ever meeting them - think its called CBrats!

Regards,

Rob

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thread topic Steve. I have heard that saying most of my life. I have owned some sort of boat since I graduated college and had access to one or more since the 4th grade. Many, many happiest days.
-- finding my C-Dory
-- every day I get to share it with someone
-- launching on my 100 day trip after I retired
-- getting the electronics set up completed to be able to safely navigate in the fog
-- finding a lost sailboat in the fog
-- seeing a full grown humpback whale launch vertically, fully 25 feet into the air, and not have it come down on top of my boat
-- getting blown off Johnstone Strait, having a tiny bay to drop the hook in, and having a great night's sleep
-- spending a couple hours navigating in soup thick fog on the way home, after 6 weeks on the boat and not seeing an Orca, and have a big black dorsal fin surface not 25 feet away, then desappear, diving into the fog
-- traveling on the water to places in ways only possible in your own boat. (Yes, I know you can charter, and maybe you can, but that was never something I could afford to do - - - so, yes, my boat is an investment, in sanity, in memories, and in family - - - in so many ways.

The happiest day when I bought it. Well, maybe close. The happiest day when I sell? It will go to someone who will go on and make new memories, and in a way, I'm sharing that, but it won't be my "happiest" day.

Thanks to Dorie for making the C-Dory, a very happy phase of my life.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with all above.

These safe and reliable boats are a great investment in my mental well being. "Fresh Fish" is an absolute joy; weather it's working on her, harvesting lunker salmonids out of L. Michigan, or just sitting in a slip enjoying the other harbor rats, it's all great.

I've stopped counting the number of times that folks approach me at ramps, gas stations, rest stops, restaurants, and even in my own driveway wanting to know more about my CD. It's a hoot talking to them. New fishing buddies are amazed at the stable ride and what a great fishing platform she is. And when they settle down for the night to crash after a long day of fishing...they really love the comfort of a nice secure cabin.

I think CD22 Fresh Fish is a keeper.

CD 22 Cruiser "FRESH FISH: 2018 to present.
CD 16 Angler "OPA": 2013 to 2019.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that there might be some truth in the adage, that's why you hear it so often. It could be that it is repeated by those who have never even owned a boat to justify their fear of the learning curve required of boat ownership. It probably originated from those who never understood the requirements of boat ownership. Slippery decks, shallow water, moorage fees, warm beer, oil changes, lions, tigers, and bears.

When I think of my first day of boat(s) ownership, I see them all as the first page in what turned out to be great adventures. I kept log books that Beth sometimes reads when we are on a road trip. Definitely not a horror story.

Some of the most memorable "adventures" were as simple as reading a book at anchor or beaching the boat and exploring an uninhabited islet. When I think of the last day of boat ownership, the first thing that comes to mind is wondering whether the new owner had as much fun living aboard or cruising as I had. One boat in particular I think about trying to locate to see if it will be up for sale anytime soon. And that boat had all of the horrors usually associated with the adage. An old wooden boat with mahogany bright work. I miss that boat.

I admit that I have been looking for a non-C Dory boat for a few months. Something considerably larger. Maybe keep my 16 as a tender? Definitely keep the 16. I can almost put it up in the attic for awhile.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said. Our boat is my "happy place". Whether on the hook at some quiet anchorage, in a busy marina or out pulling shrimp/crab pots...it's all relaxing for us and our get a way from it all.

We are considering "moving up" so we have a place to stay for the summer months after our move to sunny AZ. But the thought of leaving the simplicity/mobility of our beloved 25 frightens the bejeezus out of me. Our 25 has been my sanctuary away from the sh*t-sandwich life/work can be. I would still love it on a larger, more comfy boat, but I would have to invest a lot into learning new systems, handling et al. I suppose that since I will be retired, I will have more time to devote to this borderline obsession, though.

Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trawlers that have pre common-rail computer run diesels are pretty simple to learn if they have good mechanical access to systems. (Pre 2003-2005) Displacement speeds are slow but very economical. New boat dreaming can be as fun as actually buying one!
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Steve for this post. We are glad to be a part of this C-Dory family and the C-Brats site. We have learned much about the care of our boat and how to cruise safely while on the water since joining. This is what the C-Dory family is all about in sharing information in the support to help one another.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micahbigsur@msn.com wrote:
Trawlers that have pre common-rail computer run diesels are pretty simple to learn if they have good mechanical access to systems. (Pre 2003-2005) Displacement speeds are slow but very economical. New boat dreaming can be as fun as actually buying one!

I can assure you, any boat we may get that is larger will not be new. I’m somewhat mechanical, but it will still be a learning curve. If I’m over my head, I’ll have to pay for a professional. I maintain our cars, boat, diesel truck and old VW’s, so I’m not against getting dirty. But a large diesel engine is something different. But, an old dog can learn new tricks. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: