The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Battle Born battery teardown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Battle Born battery teardown Reply with quote

For anyone who is curious as to how a Battle Born lithium battery is put together here is a video of someone tearing one apart.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5E30u-66VI
If you search a bit more on Youtube you can find a couple of more videos of him tearing down a cheaper Riuxu battery as well.

Cheers
Ron
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Will's site is a must for me Reply with quote

Will is a great YouTub artist. His video is a breath of fresh air, he is always so excited to share and the content is good stuff. Here is another shot at his YouTube library:https://www.youtube.com/user/errolprowse/videos
Bob Jarrard
PS: Here is another boating site, Journey with Jono, which features life on an English narrowboat including a handful of very good videos on Lithium batteries, solar panels and control system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrPQ5z-hWbw
BJ
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lithium is so yesterday. Just ask the guy that invented them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0nA8CfxBqA&t=811s
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,
Thanks for finding the video. That's guts ball to cut up a $1000 battery! I had looked into the various LiFePO4 batteries, and went with Battleborn. I found their technicians to be extremely helpful, and very meticulous. When I added a second 100 amp hour battery, they wanted the serial number of my first battery, so they could program my inverter/charger specifically for those two batteries.

As for temp sensor--Yes, it would be ideal for a temperature sensor on each cell--but I believe that the one which is there, at the top, is where it is most important. On my unit, I have a 2nd temp sensor from the inverter charger mounted on the negative post of one of the batteries, and there is a 3rd temp sensor inside of the inverter charger.

Solid state batteries may be the future--I don't know...but they are currently costly:
Quote:
20 Ah solid-state battery cell would cost US$100,000, and a high-range electric car would require 800 to 1,000 of such cells

The cost of LeFePO4 are slowly coming down. It may be a long time if never when they equal the costs of AGM. But they are a lot better for a house bank.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
johnd

City/Region: DEMING
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: NOTAYOT
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW SOLID STATE BATTERIES!

I have pondered re powering our C-Dory 22 with electric motors and cells from used Prius or Leaf cars when the time comes.

Does anyone have any information or links on a C-Dory re powered with electric power?
thanks for all the great stuff you folks come up with.

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen someone so excited about batteries...
Forfun1960

City/Region: Carmi
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Journey former Noro Lim
Photos: Journey
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone use the Battle Born Batteries? If so how many and what kind of results do you get? I love to have battery that I could run a small microwav for short time to heat meals up.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forfun1960 wrote:
Does anyone use the Battle Born Batteries? If so how many and what kind of results do you get? I love to have battery that I could run a small microwav for short time to heat meals up.

Yes, see my post above. The cost for a good inverter charger and batteries will be in the $4,000 range. We cook with induction burner, run a microwave, and keep a chest type freezer and chest type refrigerator cold off the 200 amp hour battery bank.

You can do the same thing for a lot less--but there are some down sides to conventional batteries. 4 group 31 battery (110 amp hour each), will also give about 200 amp hours usable. Weight of these will be about 320 # vs 60# for LI, space will be twice as much. Number of cycles will be somewhat limited on the AGM or Lead acid batteries, vs 3,000 to 5,000 full cycles for Li. Cost for FLA will be less than $400 for generic group 31's. AGMs will cost in the 2 to 3x as much as flooded lead acid. (so $600 to $800). Some premium brands may be more. another option is golf carts--220 amp hour x 4 in series parallel.

The Li battery takes a special charger, and will not charge properly directly off the outboard. A battery to battery charger is necessary. A small bank (200 amps) is probably not good for starting an outboard, so you will still need a lead acid for start.

Unless you have a very comprehensive knowledge of battery systems, I would advise against using Li batteries--there is a lot of power, and a mistake in wiring or circuitry, might end up with a short circuit and damage to batteries, boat or person.

You can decide if you want to use a modified sine wave inverter (probably not work with induction burner, but will--reduced efficiency and noise, reduced life of microwave--I have used both types. Current is PSW. I prefer Magnum, Master Volt or Victron Pure Sine Wave inverters/chargers. Victron is one which has specific profile for Li batteries.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unless you have a very comprehensive knowledge of battery systems, I would advise against using Li batteries...

And therein, lies the crux of the issue for me (beside overall cost). I'm not an electrical engineer. Although, I did stay at a Holiday Inn once. Wink
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a 555 amp-hour LiFePO4 battery from Lithionics for our motorhome. External BMS. I have just finished installing 1520 watts of solar on the motorhome. We will be mostly boondocking for 100 days this winter. Depending on how this experiment goes I may replace the house batteries on Discovery with LiFePO4 next spring.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: