The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

CD19 Angler suitable for day cruising with 4 people
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug n

City/Region: Fort St John
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Sharon L II
Photos: Sharon L II
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there. Yes, I did pick up the 19 in Nanaimo. My apologies for not posting on this thread. I posted on the welcome to the c-brats thread a few weeks ago. The boat appears to have been well built and equally well cared for. For what I want, it sure appears to have been an excellent choice. Having the cabin open to the cockpit is probably the best feature for me. With the full cockpit canvas it seems to be one big room and will be great in cooler weather when we carry extra passengers. Being able to open it all up when the weather is nicer is just as great. Of course my thoughts may change when I get the boat on the water in May at the earliest.... Friends who have seen this boat, and have been out with us on the boat I built, have commented that this one should be more useful. Reading about concerns of stern weight I'll have to wait and see how everything goes. I have a permatrim in my shop to install in the spring. The boat has a 75hp Yamaha and 8hp Yamaha kicker. Two batteries installed between the fuel tanks. I don't think that the batteries were originally in this location as this causes some access problems. The source of the problem is flotation foam between the two fuel tanks. I've looked through many albums but haven't seen the same type of foam installation. Could easily be that I have just missed them. It is all nicely finished off but hangs down enough that you can't really get at the batteries and anything behind them, due to height restrictions, without taking up the fiberglass floors, moving them out of the way, and then sliding the battery boxes forward so you can take the covers off of them. Just remembered that I also had to take the fiberglass trim panels off that are in front of the fuel tanks so that I could pull the batteries out. One battery was at right angles to the other and this covered the opening totally, necessitating the panel removal. Rotating one battery will make the panel removal unnecessary but won't help the lack of height clearance. The batteries aren't well secured as well. Once I have an album I'll post pictures and it will make more sense. This is something that I want to rectify but don't want to make a bunch of changes until I get the boat out some. I can always put them into the port and starboard rear compartments. Re-wiring is no problem and I have the tools to make good marine cables. Any thoughts and suggestions on this would be appreciated. Clear and quick access to the bilge pump is important and definitely not there at the moment.
Thanks, Doug
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ref the batteries: most are group 24's installed in the small upper lazaretts. Usually I have moved them to the area between the tanks in covered boxes (group 27). I have never seen floatation as you describe. With that area open it is easy to move the batteries in and out. I wonder what role small amount of floatation there would really play? Access to the batteries and bilge pumps is far more likely an issue.

For tie down, consider glassing some cleats to the floor--PVC lumber would a good choice, and then you can screw straps(footman's loops to hold the end of the strap) into the glassed in PVC and not penetrate the core of the bottom of the boat. This avoids moisture in the core.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Doug n

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments. I have pictures in my album that show the problem. Moving the batteries or removing the flotation are my options I think. Probably go with moving the batteries initially. Don't really want to do much hacking away at fiberglass on my new to me boat. Once the newness has worn off I'll be jumping into renovation projects, I'm sure. Sure is a strange place for flotation. Had a quick try at posting pictures in this thread but didn't work so well. Windows 10 could be the problem. Will try firefox later.
Doug
rbfconstruction

City/Region: huntington beach
State or Province: CA
Photos: Angler Management
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: 19 angler Reply with quote

I would recommend putting back into the storage up out of the way. Plenty of room and for the most part dry.
I guess I would say "after" you get the salt that is built up off, The salt away works well. I keep mine on a trailer though. Welcome to the 19. Mine is for sale but only for one reason... I can't deal with the slamming in the more often then not chop and swells we have here.
Regarding the permatrim, I used my boat for about a year before I installed one (a different brand that required no drilling) and it was a difference of NIGHT AND DAY . It will cut the hard hitting slamming down about 50%. I felt as if I got a new boat.
One note: If you use the whale tail that requires no drilling... Only snug the set screws. Im the guy that over tightens and it pulled the set screw out of its setting.
Hope this helps.
Richard
Doug n

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attempting to post pictures using firefox instead of win10

First image shows the battery boxes still in place. Hard to see but they are there and fairly tight to the flotation foam above them.

Second image is batteries removed. Quite a mess I know. Will clean it all up when warmer. Fiberglass panels in front of fuel tanks are just set in place and not attached.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: