HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New Guy - Introduction and looking for a boat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stearmandriver2

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Notayot
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:36 am    Post subject: New Guy - Introduction and looking for a boat Reply with quote

Hello Brats!

I'm Joe, in Port Orchard WA.  I've been a semi-regular lurker here for about 5 years now, keeping an eye on the C Dory line for whenever my family and I were ready to join the powerboat club.  Really great forum you have here; I've learned a lot and enjoyed following it.  I figured it was about time to introduce myself...

We've been sailing my father's Catalina 27 for about 9 years now, exploring Puget Sound, and we're finally about ready to purchase a more versatile vessel of our own.  We've greatly enjoyed the sailboat, but are ready for something with a bit more speed / daytripping range, and something we can trailer over to explore the east side lakes etc.  As near as I can tell, a 22 Cruiser or 23 Venture would be perfect for us.  These boats seem to be the ideal compromise between comfort, efficiency, and versatility.  Plus, I'll admit it, I'm a sucker for the looks of the Dory hull with its upturned bow.

I wanted to post now not only to introduce myself and say thanks for all the great forum content over the years, but also to submit myself as a serious buyer, if anyone might have plans to sell soon.  We'll be ready to pull the trigger come February 2020, and we'd ideally like to have a boat in the water by July, but it'll take as long as it takes to find the right boat, of course. 

Closer to home is certainly preferred, but I'm willing to travel anywhere in the US or most of Canada for the right boat.  Based on all the used listings I've seen over the years, I think our budget would cover a very nice used 22 Cruiser, or a decent 23 or *maybe* a 25.

So if anyone with such a boat thinks that you'll be looking for a serious buyer after the new year, please feel free to PM me, or just post here.  I'll be keeping a close eye on the "for sale" listings going forward as well.  And if anyone has any advice for a prospective buyer I'd be glad to hear it! 

Oh, and if whoever owns "Bucket List" in Bremerton happens to read this... 👍.  I look at that boat every time we stop for lunch!
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the group Joe and good luck with your search.

Rob

Chester

City/Region: home
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Joe, are you also watching Yachtworld and the other boating sales sites, that is how we found or 25 in South Dakota, good luck!
1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Morning and Welcome here. Good to see another (near) local onboard. If you have been looking at the 4 sale postings here you probably know about a 22 on Port Townsend and a V-23 in Portland, OR (area). Those two are at the extreme ends of the price per package, as you know, but sometimes, (dare I say most of the times), you get what you pay for. Don't be afraid to travel for the right boat, and have your $$$ all lined up. The good deals go quick, for a good reason.

You have been lurking here for a while so you are acquainted with the CBRATS and have some idea of the quality of the group, the level of information available and the reliability. Now you can come out and meet in person, check out some boats and move into that next step in the process. Take what time you need. Define what you want in a boat -- uses and longevity, and go forward. Enjoy.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. I always say, if you want a C Dory, and see what you think is a good deal--go for it now--not in 4 months...The 22's come up for sale fairly often--a bit rarer is the 25, or the 26 Venture. You probably already know, but the tow vehicle is going to have to be significantly larger for the 25 or 26. So that has to be factored in--and can be more expensive than the boat.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to dicker with my respected mentor Bob...but it is possible to snag a new well-equipped F250 diesel 4WD truck for half the $160,000 price of a new TC255.
So there.

John

thataway

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulfcoast john wrote:
Not to dicker with my respected mentor Bob...but it is possible to snag a new well-equipped F250 diesel 4WD truck for half the $160,000 price of a new TC255.
So there.

John

A used C Dory 22, is in the $25,000 to $40,000 range, and the 25 in the $45,000 to $70,000. Sounds like your truck is in the $80,000 range. I have seen some nice one year old Ford 150's for int he $55,000 range..but I only paid $13,000 for the 7.3 L Ford 250 Excursion...

Not a lot of folks shelling out $160,000 on C Dory's these days....
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
... Sounds like your truck is in the $80,000 range. ....

No way I'd pay that much for a truck. Ever.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 15 I bought a 07 Cummins Ram 2500 4x4 (I need a 4x4 to get up to my house I never have needed it on a ramp with a locking differential) for $30 k with 90 k miles on it, it had leather heated seats and a lot of bells and whistles, in 16 I decided I wanted a new truck with a better type of transmission so I bought a 3500 4x4 with a 900 lb. Ft. Cummins with an Asin heavy duty truck transmission. It is a Low accessorized "Tradesman" base model with just better seats and a chrome package, with rebates just over 44K new, it is an incredible truck for the money in this new crazy priced age. They will try to sell you a truck off the lot gussied up like a Cadillac for 65-75K but you can still special order a base working truck for a lot less.
Stearmandriver2

City/Region: Port Orchard
Vessel Name: Notayot
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.  Yep, I've been eyeing both those listings, the 22 and 23.  As far as tow vehicle goes, we've got a Suburban with the max tow package, so we should be in good shape for the 22 or 23.  I think it's probably a little more marginal for the 25, but I'm not really expecting that's the boat we'll end up with - at least this time around - unless the perfect boat pops up at a price we couldn't pass on. 

Micah brings up a good point I meant to ask about: other than listings here, what would be other sources worth watching for used listings?  Yachtworld looks good and I'm sure there are others, but I've mostly been googling up till now since I wasn't actively looking to buy. I'll have to start keeping an eye on all the likely sources. 

Thanks, 

Joe
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boats.com and Boat Trader on line.
I've had a Suburban, I would think a max tow would work out OK with a lightly loaded 25 in non mountainous areas.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
other than listings here, what would be other sources worth watching for used listings?

Craig's List is where some of the "barn finds" and "underpriced bargains" come from.

A Suburban with a Max tow package will pull the 25. I am using a Yukon XL, which is the same animal. I have added air bags to the rear axle, and watch the transmission temperature. I also have electric over hydraulic brakes on the trailer--which I consider essential for mountain driving. I am going to start another thread on trucks for the 25: 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton. I looked at a "Workman model" 2500 chevy yesterday--but with power windows, the rear view camera, and most of the "accessories" I would want for about $45,000 I have seen some chevy pickups with a sticker price of over $105,000! I have yet to personally own a vehicle with leather seats.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: