View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mason C. Bailey

City/Region: Bothell
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: McNaughty III
Photos: McNaughty III
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: C-Dory sighting and ice Reply with quote

I arrived at the Everett Marina Thursday AM at about 7:30 to go fishing. There was the usual slushy ice inside the marina, not a problem. Headed for the north side of Hat Island. There was one tug boat moving a log tow. Then before I got to Hat, I passed another 22 foot green C-Dory going the opposite direction. We both waved but there was no name (or at least I didn't see it) on the other boat. As I starting going north of Hat I heard this terrible sound and thought something was wrong with the engines. I stopped the boat and found that I was running through ice! The ice went as far north as I could see, I cruised slowly through it for awhile but new that I couldn't fish in this stuff, so I turned back. I have never seen ice like this in Puget Sound before. Probably not more then a half an inch thick but enough to make all types of noise. Anyway, went to the south side of Hat and fished for several hours and then back to work. 3 small shakers and no keepers but it was still a perfect morning, thanks to the Wallace heater!

Craig on the MacNaughty III
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice in the sound? Shocked I've been out on some cold days but have never seen that. But I've only been fishing the sound for a few years now. Wow! I wonder if it's fresh water from the snohomish that makes it easier to freeze?
The Fran Sea

City/Region: St Petersburg FL
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: The Fran Sea
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mason..... interesting, but where are you talking about as your profile doesn't say where you're located.... I haven't seen ice in ages. When I had my cedar hulled Richardson, had to be very careful of ice, especially the "skim" ice as it would cut the hull like a razor. How does the C-Dory do, leave any cut marks? Rolling Eyes
Mason C. Bailey

City/Region: Bothell
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: McNaughty III
Photos: McNaughty III
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fran Sea

The location was outside of Everett, Washington State, just north of Seattle on Puget Sound. The boat is still in the water, so I don't know if it has damaged the bottom paint or gel coat. I'll be pulling it out for a general clean up in two weeks and will of course take a close look. I also assume that it was the fresh water from the nearby rivers that allowed it to ice up. It was 22 degrees when I left my house outside of Bothell but Everett was stated at 32 degrees on the radio while driving to the marina.

Craig on MacNaughty III
Redƒox

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fran Sea wrote:
How does the C-Dory do, leave any cut marks? Rolling Eyes

Nope! only ice ya gotta watch is the stuff of glaciers; it has rocks in it Crook
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: