NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had AGM's for starting (and house batts) since ~2002. Very good results. Optima spiral-wound AGM's for starting my boat's 260hp Volvo diesel lasted 7 years. Sears Platinum (Odyssey) g34 AGM's several years, still going strong when I sold it.

Optima's in my Cummins diesel truck, which sits outside unused the vast majority of the time, 10 years. Deka "Intimidator" g34 AGM's some 4-5 and counting.

Hard to beat AGM's for trouble-free starting batts.

Deka g31 house batts in my 26-footer lasted 11 years. I did have a robust charging system and batt monitor.

Replaced my Nordic Tug's old batts (starting, house, and bow thruster - windlass) with Deka G31 AGM's - quite affordable, and so far so good.

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki specifically recommends not using AGMs with their charging profile.
I have had U.S. made Lifeline AGMs in my last 2 boats, unfortunately not an option one this one. AGMs are not for everyone as house batteries as they need close monitoring, they must be fully charged to 100% within 5 charge cycles or they will have significantly shorter life.I do have a remote fill system for my flooded batteries which are of course the most abuse tolerant type for both voltage and charge perameteters.

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
The Victron 712 has the capability of sending data directly to the smart phone out of the box.

This capability is only available "out of the box" for the "Smart" version of the product. This Bluetooth cabability can be added to the other Victron products by purchasing a dongle. This costs about $50. Here's the Amazon link:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CGFF8Q2
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This gets back to an earlier part of the thred in which I mentioned not liking amp counting monitors as they need constant recalibration as the batteries age in order to be accurate, I was hopeful that the Smartgauge type of monitor would work better for me.
The Victron looks to be the best of a bad lot to me, I may get one when I get back from Mexico even though between my Morningstar solar controller screen readout and my Blue Seas digital voltmeter I don't really need one.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob thought Balmar tech might help, they actually did respond to a call and an email with a detailed description of the Smartgauge failure. The news unfortunately is not good, apparently they think outboard flywheel charging may have an AC ripple which could destroy the guage,, I thought the big outboards like ours had a normal alternator type output so basically either they are clueless or don't have a clue (I am not going to waste my time pulling the cover off to take a look it won't fix my problem either way), both of which don't help me get the gauge going. They said it wasn't normal to have one on an outboard powered boat without a regular engine driven alternator and they had not considered it being used that way. Hopefully they will put this in their literature so boaters with outboards don't waste $250 on them.
Out to the islands tomorrow morning so no worries about this noncritical stuff as my voltmeter is still working fine.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this on the internet: "Mercury Marine, Honda Outboards, and also Seven Marine have alternators. Suzuki and Yamaha still come with stators. Of course all of the older engines, Johnson, Evinrude, Mariner, Force, Tohatsu, and etc. all have stators."

I checked the shop manual and my Honda 150 does have a 44 amp belt driven alternator. Suzuki's web site refers to "alternator", but I don't see any after market units...Micah--you have to check the oil anyway--so take a peek and see if there is a belt driven alternator. I don't think there is on my 140 Suzuki--but a different block than the 150/200 series.

There are lots of outboard boats using the Balmar Smart gauge. You would think that the battery would filter out most of the AC ripple, which the converter/regulator didn't. But we know that start up there will be voltage spikes and dips on any alternator system....(A reason to have electronics on a separate battery, with the ACR to charge after the engine has started.)

I believe that an "alternator" also produces Alternating Current, which needs to be rectified...so Balmar's argument could break down. The AC current is rectified to DC with the use of silicon diodes. The regulator cuts off the field current or exciting current for the rotor. The old generators did produce DC power, but it was at a lower current amount than what modern vehicles require. We had a "starter generator" on the gen set of one of my boats. One belt driven device: if you applied 12/high power volts to it, it became a motor. After the Diesel engine picked up speed, this same device became a generator producing a few amps of DC current directly keeping the start battery charged.

"In an alternator, electricity is produced when a magnetic field spins inside the stator (windings of wire). In a generator, on the other hand, the armature or
windings of wire spin inside a fixed magnetic field to generate electricity."

Sure sorry to hear that the Balmar is not working....Reading the manual:
Quote:
SmartGaugeTM can accurately measure voltages between 9.00 and 17.00 volts in 12 volt mode
. You did not exceed the 17 volts. There is a 2 year warrantee against defects in "workmanship".....Not a single word anywhere about not using outboard motors.

To clarify the Victron, only the 712 has the blue tooth feature built in, and does not require a dongle. I purposefully bought the 702, since I did not want or need bluetooth information to the cell phone.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, thanks for the effort to sort out the Smartgauge. Yes tomorrow morning when I have the engine down to check the oil before we leave I will check for a belt driven alternator. Suzuki has set up its charging system a little differently in order to keep more output during low RPM trolling speeds. I added an ACR during my rewire with a separate combine switch that is off. That should filter the DC some, but I used the separate start battery monitoring voltage lead to the Smartgauge also which only monitors the start battery voltage, something I didn't really need as I can switch to it on my Blue Seas voltmeter ( we tried to get a picture of the voltage on the Blue Seas to send Balmar but apparently the digital screen flashes faster than the eye can see and it won't photograph), which I could have left off.
Anyway, after I toss the Smartgauge in the trash I will probably get a Victron monitor as I have had one of their solar controllers and it was solid. I would get one of their simplest models without bluetooth or the bluetooth dongle but that is the problem with some of the "convenient" modern electronics, the more features the less reliable. But the Victron looks like using a smart phone to program it is necessary for the most accurate programming. This stuff makes my K.I.S.S. head spin and why I still love my voltmeter. When I push the on button on electronics nowadays I hold my breath hoping it hasn't glitched or crashed. (Almos comical when I turn on the ignition switch on the Suzuki which tells the fly by wire computer to start the engine and I freak out until Dana reminds me to make sure it is in neutral!) I have had to do a hard reset on the computer engine guage after it lost all engine info and lost sleep the first time until I called and got the reset procedure, which can be found in the separate gauge manual. I think it is not communicating well with my Simrad chartplotter over the network I have separated the Suzuki and Simrad networks so they are both happy but I am not as now I am missing my fuel range and efficiency computer. The Simrad is programmed to work with it's available Suzuki interface program, so they should talk but some designers programmer left a few lines of code out of the program somewhere I suspect so it is glitchy.
I hope someday they work all the bugs out of all this new feature rich "convenient" "easy to use" equipment.

Thanks again for your help Bob.
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah
I’ve been using my Balmar Smart Meter with 3 different Yamaha Outboards. A 200 hp 2 stroke, 200 4 stroke and the 9.9 kicker. They all as far as I know have stators. I have no ACR in my system so both battery banks are charged at the same time except with the 9.9 which produces only about 6 amps and charges the start battery. I’ve had to set my battery switch on both with the 9.9 or I’ll get an over voltage warning. Seems that the 9.9 is not very well regulated. I think your Balmar is defective and should be covered under warranty. I hate it when a company tries to “blow you off”.

It’s interesting what we learn about our boats as we use them. I added 3 AGM battery’s to my boat before learning in the small print that Yamaha only wants to have Lead Acid battery’s in place. I love my AGM battery’s and so far no problems. I think it’s a mater of cover their butt.

I know how difficult it can be when something is not operating correctly when you are in remote areas but you’ll work it out.

As I was reminded on a YouTube video yesterday “everything is broken on your boat, you just don’t know it yet”

Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, thanks, I suspect you are right on the Balmar being defective it says it should work to 17 volts and I doubt the "AC ripple" theory I will try to work it out with Balmar when I get back in May. I have really liked my AGMs before also but I was worried that I might have problems so went conservatively because it is hard to get boat stuff in Mexico. I do like my remote fill system which takes a lot of the hassle out of flooded batteries. My problem with a lot of the new electronics is kind of the shiny object thing where my K.I.S.S. principals fly out the window!

Adios amigos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: