The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Non-working bi-color navigation light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Non-working bi-color navigation light Reply with quote

I have a 2005 16' cruiser, purchased new in september, with a perko red/green deckmounted navigation light. It quit functioning within a month after we bought the boat. The wiring and switch all seem to be hot which leads me to suspect the bulb. The light is a Perko 1167. It has a black plastic base, secured to the deck with two small screws. I have taken the screws out but the wiring is so tight I can't get the fixture raised enough to look under it to see how to access the bulb. Anyone have any ideas? I have sent several e-mails to the dealer on other subjects and on this subject and they have not responded, neither has the factory responded to previous e-mails so I am counting on someone here to steer me in the right direction. I don't want to unscrew several feet of wiring to get free-play in this fixture unless I absolutely have to. Hope someone has been there before me.
cdlas

City/Region: Molalla & Lakeside
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: CFURTWO
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Navgation light Reply with quote

Interestingly enough I have the same problem with my 2002 16' angler also. It will be interesting what somebody comes up with. I have been worring about for the last 6 months Mr. Green . I have even thought about removing the board? the is in the forward storage area. The wire is not available unless I do this. Had several people who have boats of other kinds look at it but they all have walked away shaking their heads. Cry
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into this on my first boat. Not sure if it's the best route. But I just cut the wires, and added about an inch and a half of wire to both the +and - the used some heat shrink butt connectors to attach the wires together and then attached them to the the light itself. Giving the play needed. I was replacing the whole light anyway, as I had kicked the cover off into the drink while playing around on the bow Laughing. Again I'm not sure if this is the best fix, but it worked and was easy. Good luck.

Sark
lloyds

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cutting and splicing has occurred to me as well but I just hate to do it. There has to be a better answer.
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the setup is for that model Perko light, but the ones I have fooled with in the pass had a base with a crome (some metal, some plastic cap with the lens inserts. Those lights would separate from the base by either unscrewing them or praying them loose from the base part giving access to the lens and bulb.

Front mounted nav lights get a lot of punishment because of their location so I would not be scared about cutting and splicing in some more wire to give you access in the future incase the above info doesn't help you to get the job done in the first place.

Good Luck and let us know what you learn...in the end.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
lloyds

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike: I will try the prying but it makes me nervous. I e-mailed perko directly a couple times without result, and now they have changed their website and the contact feature no longer works. I am obviously lacking good karma at the moment. I will give it a try tomorrow after work and see what happens. Thanks.
MichaelOnTheClaraMae

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
Photos: Clara Mae
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I know she is new, but I say it is time to educate the Sue'C and rip into those wires CoolSmile . Cut those puppies, do a good job at splicing a couple of pieces in and change the bulb. Even if it is not the bulb, you will have to change it sometime in the future anyway.

Just some advice from the not-so-old Clara Mae that has more dings, cuts, and mods to her than Davy Crocket... but not the classic Red Fox. Xmas Naughty

Bob Cat

City/Region: Santa Monica
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Dive Cat
Photos: Dive Cat
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutn'splice! Get yourself the right tools. Don't hand twist and hope for the best. Use crimps and liquid tape to cover bare metal. Shrink tube if possible. This is all part of annual maintenance. You're right. The light is very exposed. Imagine your condition if you sat up there all the time!

Bob Cat
With no boat, I have way too much time on my hands.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: