The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Flashlights on board.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Flashlights on board. Reply with quote

Ever since I was young and took a flashlight under the bedcovers to read adventure books at night, I have had a fascination with flashlights. (Marie has other words for my fetish of flashlights)

I recently went to rechargeable batteries for nearly all of my flashlights. I thought I would share some of my boat favorites.

Flashlights:

Starting from the top:
Key chain Streamlight logo Keychain light. This is very small and light, and is on all of my key chains, including the boat. It has 10 lumen on the brightest of 3 levels, plus blink mode. The C2016 lithium, battery seems to last forever. It is ideal for finding your way over the gunnel or the keyhole. I have a number of other "keychain lights" but this is my favorite.

Maglite Mini PRO LED /b]: This sits in a nylon holster, which also has a leatherman tool, and a Swiss Army knife of the Evolution series. The Maglite is rugged, and watertight. It has a bright beam, and long lasting AA batteries. We know where it always is located.

[b]UltraFire W-878 CREE XM-L2
This came with the boat, it had a dedicated location above the galley. There are spots of luminescent paint on it for easy finding in the dark. It is only a $11 light and seems to be very rugged. There is a zoom type of lens, for a broad floodlight, to very focused beam. There are 3 power levels, strobe and "SOS". It uses 3 AAA, or a single 18650 Li battery (I have another device which uses this battery and it is charged in two of the below mentioned chargers.

Surefire G2X Pro 600 Lumen Tactical Which also lives in the galley, and is the go to for a high power quick to grab flashlight. First click is 15 lumen, second 600, 3rd strobe. It uses a CR123A Liithium battery. There is not a perfect rechargable for this battery.

Coast PX20 LED This is a 15 lumen white and 10 lumen red (separate tactical sensitive switches) rugged flashlight which is at the bunk side in the boat and bedside at home. I use the red light when getting up at night to keep my night vision.

Nitecore EC11 This is 1, 70, 160, 300 and 900 Lumen in white, strobe and SOS, plus red @ 0.8 lumen soiid and beacon. This is my everyday carry flashlight--also bedside and bunk side. If I was to have one flashlight--this would be it. This can use the CR123A Li battery, but also a rechargable IMR18350.

Energizer Headlamp A headlamp is the staple for going ashore with the dog. We start with red on the first press of the button. (and red lighting in the boat). We use the red light until almost to the beach, then Marie switches to white--and I keep one eye closed--with my head lamp on red. If we need it the combined white on these lights is about 300 lumen: 150 spot and 150 flood. The button also allows the white modes to dim to about 50% of max power. Although we are usually anchored in areas rarely traveled by boats at night, we do keep a white light for an all around, or identification, if we see another boat.

We also have a 3 cell Maglight, right by the companionway. There is a West Marine rechargable Spotlight at the helm. It its an older model, with a very focused beam, and about 600 lumen, and low of about 50 lumen, plus SOS.

Chargers.

From the top down.

Nitecore New i4 Intellicharger Smart Charger for Li-ion IMR Ni-MH NiCd
This is a smart charger which is able to recharge almost any small battery. I have had batteries which had been completely discharged, and would not even begin to charge on other chargers, and this would bring them back to life.

EastShine S4 I like this charger because of the information it gives. It identifies the battery, its voltage and capacity in milliamps. It then gives the proper charging profile for the battery. It also will charge any small rechargable battery.

Panasonic smart charger. A small and simple charger. Panasonic Enlope batteries are probably the best generally available. I use Enlope, Energizer and Amazon Basics.

What do others use?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating, now I know I am not the only flashlight junkie in the world. Bob, I have 4 of the same ones. In the drawer under my helm seat I have at least 4 flashlights including one that floats, turns on automatically when it goes into the water, has a white or red area light, a red flasher, red SOS, and even a fairly bright, spot beam. There is also a mini, and a waterproof LED besides the LED headlamp that has about 8 cycles.

There is also a rechargeable LED and laser search and spot light, and an inflateable Luci light. That doesn't count the Stars and Stripes globe lantern. Might be more but that about does it for my memory.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought several of these
Ultrafire 50000LM Zoomable T6 LED Flashlight Torch Lamp +18650+Charger from ebay or equivalent specs

Extra batteries GARBERIEL 3.7V 18650 Battery Li-ion 6000mAh Rechargeable Battery +2*Charger - better charger

EBL D Size D Rechargeable Batteries (4 Pack, 10000mAh) and Ni-MH Ni-CD AA AAA C D 9V Battery Charger with 2 USB Port
for portable bait aerator pumps

Maglite flashlights- still use C or D cell alkaline batteries

2 50000Lumen LED Zoomable Headlamp USB Rechargeable Headlight Head Torch OLD and Heavy
They are heavy and cheap but so handy, very bright and adjustable beams when working in cramped boat areas or vehicles.

Several Harbor Fright low cost or free lights. Mostly ones with magnetic mounts. My first one a small one about the size of a C cell is over years old. All beatup and all LED lights works.

NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice collection, Bob! It looks very much like what I typically had aboard.

I'm pretty sure you are not the only one with a fascination for flashlights. I came to boating after 35 years of bicycle commuting, and mountaineering. The development of today's high quality, low weight, waterproof, and rugged flashlights has been fantastic.

I particularly like that little Coast PX20 with the sight-saving red LED. I put one in a semi-permanent mount near the helm where it acted like a lamp when needed.

johnf

City/Region: Tigard, OR
State or Province: OR
Photos: Boat Name TBD II (johnf)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been into flashlights for a long time...have quite a few and have given a number of them to family/friends...

Here would be 2 of my top recommendations:

Thrunite TH30 ....not a distance beam but rather a monster flood....very small...can fit in pocket or jacket...also fits in headband. 3350 Lumens

NiteCore MH23...decent long beam...1800 Lumens...

Both use rechargeable 18650 lithium ion batteries and both have micro usb ports with dust covers for charging. Tough, compact flashlights.

Mostly I like tail switch lights...easy to find/click in the dark...so Miss Teddi (chocolate labradoodle) and I use an old Thrunite TN12 for our early morning walks before work. Only turn it on to find her poop LOL.

Check them out...you will not be disappointed with the build quality and performance of each.
johnf

City/Region: Tigard, OR
State or Province: OR
Photos: Boat Name TBD II (johnf)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...almost forgot...the Nitecore MT10A....has red light for boat use...super small...uses rechargeable 14500 battery (similar in size to AA) and very bright for size/weight...

It would be lightest weight best combination for a boat...
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I am a nut (according to Dana) for flashlights too. I read a book a day, full of adventures, and like you every night under the covers. Kids today have no idea about the slowly dimming orange light of a carbon cell flashlight that never lasted long enough. I still have a beautiful old copper, nickel, 4 d cell incandescent flashlight.
The LED flashlights of today are such modern miracles I love having them everywhere!

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been adverse to excesses and redundancy. I also understand a guy
is allowed a fetish or two. But, flashlights? I'm proud to have been told I've done
some of my best work in the dark.

I digress.

A light source not mentioned, which accompanies most people now days and
does not create a bulge in your pocket, is your cell phone. There's an LED on
the back of most android and iOS phones that is quite bright with a free app
(Flashlight HD, Super-Bright LED Flashlight or others). Chances are you won't
forget your cell phone when you need to pierce the darkness.

Aye.

hardee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy, you are right on ... at least on the cell phone for flashlight vein. Always carry that one.

Johnf, is a regional (at least) flashlight pro. I am remembering the tree top spotting contest from the Sequim Bay St Pk dock, and he was usually the winner.

Another light that is tangent to these is one that I have used for several years in the boat and in my travel vehicle, a Lucy Light. Inflateable, solar recharge, and multiple colors and modes.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the cell phone is useful, and I have used it a few times in restaurants. I don't normally carry it when on deck or in the dinghy (unless going on shore waling excursions--and that is usually in the day time.

Why don't I carry my cell phone when on the boat?....It would have been ruined when I took my impromptu swim a little more than a month ago. I have several friends in C brats who have dropped their phones in the water. Some have recovered--some not--expensive. Even though I have a secure belt case, and a "life proof" case to help when I drop it--I don't have a waterproof case, and don't want it. Now days, I am more dependent on my Apple Watch--which will give me thee instant messages and I can use the cell phone part of that. Flashlight there---yes--but very limited.

I like the red light to preserve night vision. I like a beam if trying to find something--I phone does not give either of these.--personal preference.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
...Why don't I carry my cell phone when on the boat?....It would have been ruined when I took my impromptu swim a little more than a month ago. I have several friends in C brats who have dropped their phones in the water. Some have recovered--some not--expensive. ...

That is why I get the cheapest cell phone I can find that does what I NEED it to do. If it does more than that, it's just gravy. If it falls in the water and dies or can't be recovered, it is just inconvenient, but not a big deal.

My current phone was a free promo from VZ.

P.S. Paying many hundreds of $ for a phone is just something I'm not willing to do.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I to use to have a drawer full of flashlights onboard. Every Spring I would load them up with batteries and every Fall I would take all the batteries out again so they did not leech. Which ones did I actually use during the boating season? Well, I only used my favorite one of course. It did just about everything the others did anyway. After several sessions with my therapist, my addiction subsided. I now have an empty drawer I can put other things in.

Martin.
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, I don't have a drawer full, (only 3 in one drawer), but I have more, (other places). Rolling Eyes Shocked I think I need to see your therapist. Mr. Green Embarassed Laughing

I just bought another flashlight yesterday Embarassed Twisted Evil Sad

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harvey,

I thought of a pun. "Lighten up and look on the bright side of life".

Courtesy of Monty Python.

Martin.
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashlights are cheaper than therapists.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: