The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C 25 buying advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watchdoc wrote:
The Plot Thickens....

So I finally spoke to the broker with first hand knowledge of the boat in MD. (Honda 135 with cooler in the splash well).

So the entire rear floor was replaced with 3/4" marine plywood when the splash well was cut out and reglassed. Then they sprayed the entire floor up to the gunnels with BLACK colored LineX. Also, the splash well now drains to the bilge area although the scuppers are still in place.

I've just about ruled this boat out since at a minimum I would need a bimini and to paint over the LineX.

What do you guys think would be a suitable low ball offer on this boat?

Don't know why they would paint the interior of the cockpit black.

I would find out if you can still get to the gas tank or even if it is still under the floor.

The other question would be why was the floor replaced in the first place and how they finished it. Is it just painted, or was it glassed first?

A bimini is only a few hundred bucks.

The splash well sort of makes a box at the stern with the gunwales and the transom. Looks like they basically cut one side of it off. I'd be concerned that the splash well is not supported where the cut is. There may be something underneath to brace the end at the cut, but you can't see anything from the pictures. It might not be good to step on the splashwell (like when boarding from the swim step). Also there may be some vibration and rattling from the loose end.

If you really want the boat, I'd start with $25K. You can always go up. You might need to have some money left to fix it right.

If the buyer is insulted by your offer than he's taking it too personally and you might just want to walk away. There is a difference between simply rejecting an unacceptable offer and taking it as an insult.
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would stay away. Who fixes a boat with black line x.

The splash well should absolutely not drain in to the bilge.
Tenacious C

City/Region: Haines
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tenacious C
Photos: Tenacious C
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about what year the change was made to make the fuel tank more accessible on the 25. I've given some thought to moving up from the 22 and one of my concerns would be, how to deal with a leak or sending unit gone bad.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Stefan, too many questionable structural issues. We don't know if the cockpit floor was done properly, the plywood itself isn't the best solution. Then the splash well being cut would seem to affect it's structural integrity as well as water integrity.

I agree with Bob that having glass cabinets tabbed to the hull will add rigidity to the boats overall structure, but 07s and newer are a lot more expensive.
My next summer's project will be to tab my wood cabinets to the hull with epoxy and then mechanically fasten the tabs to the cabinets. My L brackets are just steel and are rusty. I agree that glass is easy to modify but for me with all the added equipment that I have added inside the cabinets, cleats for shelves and so on the SS screws just hold better in the thick wood, screws and glass don't mix that well, I do it but it just isn't as strong. Bottom line to me is don't turn down a good older boat if you find one you like and can afford, we are very happy with ours.
Good luck finding a good boat, I know it is hard being patient.

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenacious C wrote:
I'm curious about what year the change was made to make the fuel tank more accessible on the 25. I've given some thought to moving up from the 22 and one of my concerns would be, how to deal with a leak or sending unit gone bad.

All of the 25's have access to the fuel tank sender thru a circular access in the middle of the cockpit.

Some time in 2004, the dual fuel fills in the center of the cockpit were added.

Although a "Model year" does not indicate a modification to a hull, I know that
Pat and Patty Anderson's "Daydream" which was built early in 2005 has the "Removable" floor section. Along with that is the "steps" on each side of the forward end of the cockpit , which has fuel fills on both sides of the boat, and access to the fuel hoses. These steps almost all have issues with water intrusion and need to have any exposed core, removed, and then sealed with epoxy--as Is the case with any access into the cockpit floor. The edges of the cockpit floor and removable section are all sealed.

Here is a photo of Daydream in the build stage no fuel tank

With the fuel tank in place:

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: