Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Kaboat Reply with quote

This guy making these videos must be Hunkydory Jay's Scandinavian cousin! Very Happy
A very impressive demonstration of the Kaboat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_462woPVMKE
It is the size up from Jay's but I don't think most of us would be tackling this kind of water with a boat that doubles as a C-Dory dinghy.

Jay,
How do you load and carry your Kaboat on the 22?

Cheers
Ron
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really impressive filming. And quite a testament to the Kaboat. However, it is worth noting that the footage is "in memory" of the guy.

"The owner of this channel, Hannu Yli-Karjanmaa (b. 1961), lost his life on 2 July, 2017 in Northern Sweden. Based on the footage he had shot the probable chain of events is the following. Hannu lost his boat which got stuck in the rapids in the Kaitum river. Practically all his gear were in the boat. He made the decision to try and reach the boat. Five days later, the empty boat was seen in the river, and after a six-hour helicopter search his body was found some 10 km downstream of the boat. The funeral took place in Helsinki on 28 July. Hannu's next of kin wish to keep these unique videos available to honour the memory of their loved one."

Be safe, wherever you are, in whatever boat!

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, I have two Kaboats. The SK 396 is 12 foot & weighs about 50 lbs & is very easy to take off & on the boat top, whether at a dock or on the water & the motor a 2.5 ho Suzuki which weighs 29 lbs & also easy to get off & on the Kaboat, while out on the water. It’s great in smooth water & good for dingy trips to shore in tidal water, but slow & not as stable as I prefer in rougher water. Also, I’d be reluctant to tow it on plane with the motor on in anything but smooth water. Where as the the 13 foot SK 385XL has a double layered bottom, larger 4 section vs 2 section air chambers is wider & much more stable. With the 52 lb Suzuki 6 hp motor it will do about 14 mph at sea level & is extremely stable towing even in fairly rough seas. In 2018, I towed it for about half the 1600 mile SE Alaska cruise. It’s main and only real drawback is it’s 80 lb weight. I can easily get it off & on the top of the boat cabin at a dock , but it can become a struggle though doable for me on the water. The 52 lb motor can also be a work out on the water to get it off & on. I usually struggle making a decision between taking the 2.5 hp or 6 hp motor when starting each trip. Photos do better than words showing how the Kaboats are carried on the boat top.

This shows towing the 13 foot in open Gulf of Alaska waters. The photo doesn’t show the conditions near as bad as actual. It was a day, I’d much preferred to have had it on top.

I have towed & carried on top of the boat on SE Alaska cruises both the Kaboats, a west Marine RU 260 & the Mokai. Both the Kaboats were easier for me to manage on the water taking off & on the boat then the light RU 260, which weighed about 50 lbs & definitely the Mokai

Jay

Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,
Thanks so much for the info on carrying the Kaboats. If I do choose to change to one it would probably be the 385. Currently we use a 8.5 ft Zodiac at about 65lbs. My wife and I work together most times to lift it to the roof. We also used a 14 ft Soar1 inflatable that I liked but my wife didn't. She prefers to row, so I was thinking the Kaboat might be an answer. The weight might be a bit of a challenge though.
Thanks again for you reply and I admire your adventurous nature. The guy who made the videos seemed to share your passion for the wilderness.

Cheers
Ron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: