View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishstix2

City/Region: Cape Coral
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: PiraC
Photos: PiraC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Tomkat 255 roof weight Reply with quote

Anyone know how much poundage the roof is rated for? I have a Rigid dinghy with a 40hp engine and want to travel it with us. Since we have twins mounted on an Armstrong bracket and the transom already sits low I wouldn’t think I would want to add another 350 or so lbs back there. Not sure if there’s a davit system that would work anyhow with twins.
I see a lot of inflatables up top so trying to investigate putting my Rigid there without stressing the structure past it’s approved point.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how big your RIB is, but with a 40 HP engine I suspect it is 12 feet. I had a RIB that size and I would not have put it up on the Tom Cat Roof. It is not just what the roof is capable of carrying, but you would also have to make a cradle or chocks for the RIB, plus a power davit. I would strongly advise against that.

I would also advise against 350 more # on davits over the transom--that has multiple logistic issues, as well as the weight. I hate to suggest this--but if you want to use that RIB, tow it.

I have usd inflatables which weigh in the 50 to 70# range on top of the Tom Cat and other C Dorys. If you get 350# (and that might be a conservative weight since a 40 hp Honda weight is 215#)

The Tom Cat can go places that most dinghies can go. If you want to beach a dinghy--the RIB poses other challenges--and is best anchored offshore, on a "clothesline rig"-see recent thread on this.

I would get a lighter dinghy for the Tom Cat. One which is light enough to put on the roof, and yet carry the number of people you want. There are many options.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: