young child's immersion suit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: young child's immersion suit Reply with quote

I am looking for an immersion suit for my toddler. The only thing I've found must be imported and costs over $800. This suit works for kids 26-51 lbs, and there is an insert that can be used with smaller kids/infants: https://www.scandiagear.com/products/lifesaving/immersion-suits/insulated-immersion-suit-sc-aayc

I cannot seem to find anything like this available in the US, and I'm curious if anyone knows of any resources that I might follow up on. I am fully aware of the options for slightly larger kids. Not what I'm looking for.

Does anyone have something like this that their kids have outgrown? I'd be happy to get this item used.

Thanks!!
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kushtaka,

Looks like you want a full on survival suit. Might be that a modified wet suit from a manufacturer similar to this one would do the job.

https://wetwear.com/wetsuits-skins/children/

kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following,

Could an infant fit in your immersion suit with you?

I have a 1 year old so keep me up to date with what you find.
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an infant insert for the young child suit. It's all crazy $$$.

I wouldn't go for the double up. A good neck seal is important for the suit doing its job.
SnowTexan

City/Region: Carlton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Miss Maria
Photos: Miss Maria
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious about what you found and are using? For myself in cold water conditions I have a mustang dry suit and hybrid pfd. I prefer this combination over bulky survival suits because I can use it for paddling, and climb around on things in it. My mobility is excellent compared to heavy offshore survival suits and the protection is about the same. The only thing i’ve Found for kids are surfing style wetsuits. Thanks!

Nigel
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for that kind of money you might as well buy a small 4 man raft second hand and not have something that a kid will outgrow. Also think of the situation you're going to to be in; are you going to have enough time time put on your survival suit and try and force a screaming toddler into theirs while the vessel your standing on lists and slips away into the deep right under your feet...probably not. Vessels can sink and flood in seconds depending on what caused the initial problem.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaelc wrote:
Following,

Could an infant fit in your immersion suit with you?

I have a 1 year old so keep me up to date with what you find.

Unless you have a two headed survival suit this sounds like a scary way to drown/suffocate a kid.
SnowTexan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmetzenberg wrote:
for that kind of money you might as well buy a small 4 man raft second hand and not have something that a kid will outgrow. Also think of the situation you're going to to be in; are you going to have enough time time put on your survival suit and try and force a screaming toddler into theirs while the vessel your standing on lists and slips away into the deep right under your feet...probably not. Vessels can sink and flood in seconds depending on what caused the initial problem.

We have a raft on the roof and the dry suit goes on before I set foot on the dock/riverbank in cold weather. Same for kids pfds in any weather. I agree emergencies are generally fast and furious and anything meant to save you in cold water conditions should be worn at all times. Safety gear is definitely expensive but worth every penny and at the top of our priority list in any travels we have. I am just curious what others have found available for young children at any cost. We’ve Certainly had to wing it and piece together reliable safety equipment for kids in the mountains in winter and the water is proving to be equally challenging.
SnowTexan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmetzenberg wrote:

We have a raft on the roof and the dry suit goes on before I set foot on the dock/riverbank in cold weather. Same for kids pfds in any weather. I agree emergencies are generally fast and furious and anything meant to save you in cold water conditions should be worn at all times. Safety gear is definitely expensive but worth every penny and at the top of our priority list in any travels we have. This original post was is from last year and I am just curious what others have found available for young children at any cost. We’ve Certainly had to wing it and piece together reliable safety equipment for kids in the mountains in winter and the water is proving to be equally challenging.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: