ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tend to use paperware for our dishes. Saves washing up water. Also, choose what you cook. Some dishes make more of a mess than others. For instance, cooking a steak requires much less clean up than making spaghetti sauce.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
". . . Also, choose what you cook. Some dishes make more of a mess than others."

Definitely. 1 paper towel and 1 knife, makes 2 sandwiches. 2 Tuna fish packets. Cleanup is wipe the knife with the paper towel, soap on finger, wipe knife, 3 second splash of water, wipe with a clean corner of the paper towel. Put knife on rack, paper towel into tuna foil packets after they have been rinsed overboard, and then one folded into the other. The cabbage or Jicama are just put back into the cooler (Hold). The electric water pump is the enemy of water conservation.

When traveling up north (Broughtons especially) garbage is really hard to get rid of so, meal planning is based around not having much left in the way of scrap or packaging waste.

Another thing that is helpful for hand wash especially is the Clorox wipes in the tall round plastic containers. Works for hand and face wash and can substitute for a sponge bath. The wipes are then dried and used for cleaning on the boat.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean... You ask in what way we used our tank water. We are both old school where many boats had salt water foot pumps. One of our first projects in our 25 was to add a sink in the head and then plumb both the galley and head with salt water foot pumps. We also added a hand pump with a 40 micron filter to have better control of fresh water use in the galley, finally we took out the factory fresh water pressure 4 "piston" pump and put in a lower pressure 3 piston pump which is much more able to control water use. Whenever we are anchored in good clean water we always wash our dishes and hands with salt water, the dishes may get a very sparing fresh rinse.
But even with all this we may need to go 2 or 3 weeks without filling the water tank hence the need (not old school!) For the watermaker, but old habits die hard and we always conserve.
In one of my early boats we made a 52 day Pacific passage with a crew of 6 and a 100 gallon tank. We conserved water and also used saltwater, caught some rain water and ended up with 40 gallons left at landfall.

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post...

Last edited by Micahbigsur@msn.com on Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, somehow double posted and can't edit it out.
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Launching and retrieving Reply with quote

I have just reviewed this thread. I did not see any mention of another consideration in comparing the 22 and 25: the comparative ease of launching and retrieving.

This, of course, favors the 22 because of its smaller size and weight.

We have a 22, which sits on a trailer when it is not being used. I am approaching 78, but I can launch and retrieve it (single-handed, in most instances), with ease. I doubt I could do that with a 25(?).
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne makes a VERY good point. My 22 was like launching a retrieving a john boat. My 26 is much more weight and the trailer is much longer and everything takes more effort than the 22. This goes for towing as well...
OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
[
Amen. I’ve said it before: THE SHOWER AND WATER HEATER ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY. we run the genset during our runs and the water stays plenty hot to shower with later in the day. That way, by the time we anchor our water is heated and no one can complain about our genset. If we stay longer, I run it mid-day so as to not disturb folks when they are usually out and enjoying the afternoon adult beverage or bbqing etc. The porta-potty is a pia, IMO. Now I can pee almost anywhere. But The Admiral? Laughing

Where do you put your genset while running?

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To further Wayne McCown's comments on the ease of launching 22's versus 25's, here's a few thoughts.

First, lets admit that the 22 is easier to launch. Smaller and lighter is easier.

However, I'm 84 and can still launch the 25 in a reasonable way. Backing the boat down the ramp is the same for the 22 and 25, because the truck has power steering, power brakes and an auto trans. Now comes the differences.

First we only launch where there's a float next to the ramp where the boat can be easily moved from the trailer to the float. That's a stretch in San Diego Harbour; it takes a long rope, but it's doable. Climbing into the boat to power over to a float is pretty hard at my age. Next, I finally installed a power winch so I can power the boat both out and in from the trailer. And finally, I have a roller trailer which lets the boat roll off and more importantly, on. You do need more power to pull the boat out of the water and up the ramp, but the F-250 doesn't have 4 wheel drive nor diesel. It hasn't failed yet from Spanish, Canada to Ventura harbour.

So a 25 can be easily launched and retrieved but you have to put some thought into it. We've been doing it for 15 years.

Boris
SnowTexan

City/Region: Carlton
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Miss Maria
Photos: Miss Maria
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I can offer a backpacking cooking class at a cbrats gathering after I get my boat. for those concerned about water, food, and cooking in small spaces. If you can carry ten days of food on your back and come back without dysentery and severe weight loss, the menu was a success! 😂. Seriously though, I have read that at displacement speeds some people are getting similar mileage in a 25 vs the 22. Did I read that wrong or is that accurate?

Nigel Dunn
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mileage at displacement speeds-- is very similar between the 25 and 22. We ran at displacement speeds most of our last several weeks on the Tennessee River and were comparing with several 22's. Look at it this way, if you are getting 5 to 6 miles per gallon at 6 mph, the 22 will have about 46 gallons of fuel usable, and the 25 will have about 95 gallons of fuel usable. Let's be conservative and say 5 miles per gallon for the 22 this will be about 230 miles, and for the 25 will be 480 miles. (This is without any 10% safety margin). I was discussing with Jonathon Arthur on "Salty" about his taking his 22 to the Virgin Islands. If you look thru the archives, you can find folks claiming up to 16 mpg at very slow idle speeds with the 22...

A problem is that many C Dory owners want to run at 8 knots (9.2 mph), not 4 to 6 mph, and thus get far worse mileage than can be obtained at lower speeds.

Launching--a lot depends on how the trailer is set up. With the Load Rite trailers, which have target bunks, and I put slicks on these, we just drive on, the trailer, Marie hooks the strap on, and tightens it up--usually less than 3" from the bumper on the winch post. I keep the boat centered on the trailer, and Marie drives the truck out. It is more difficult to climb out of the 25, but we have a collapsable ladder. I then drive down the parking lot, bump the brakes, and the boat slides forward to the stop. We tighten the winch strap, put in the chain to the bow eye, put the two straps from the trailer to the transom and the one strap over the cockpit. We often load faster and easier than most 22's. I don't see a lot of difference. I have single handed the 25 launching with a 30' long RV. (In that case there were docks along side where I could board the boat.)

Gen set while running:--it is mounted on a bracket made of Starboard, (bolted on) which is on the port side of the splash well. I posted a photo of the bracket in the past, and will be doing a series of photos on the "improvements" (past and present) on Thataway. However, we rarely need to run the genes while running--even on 90*+ days--the breeze on the water is enough to keep us cool, with all windows open.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I single hand our 25 quite a bit. All it takes is a longer stern line; I actually just tie two together temporarily. That line goes to the stern cleat on whatever side has the dock. I run it up the cabin/bow rail side and over the anchor along with the bow line. I then place them into the bed of my P/U. Back down normally, push the boat off and take both lines in hand. Jump up onto the dock, pull the boat back, tie it off...done. It's not rocket science.

As regards water use, we carry an extra 6 gallon jug and use bottled water to cook/make coffee etc. Usually gallon bottles. The "shower" is very efficient; it's nothing more than what you'd find on your kitchen sink for rinsing dishes off. The Admiral usually doesn't wash her hair until we go to a marina, so showering is actually pretty efficient.

For longer trips, we also use solar showers as was noted above. Put them on the roof with a bungee, with the hose stuck into the window. That also gives us an additional 7.5 gallons of water (one 5 gallon unit & one 2.5 gallon currently). I "store" them in the dinghy.

I have thought of putting another water tank up front, under the V berth, but it's a big job with limited benefit return. Plus that adds another pump, water lines et al, and ruins the KISS mentality of these boats. If we end up keeping the boat once I'm retired, I will do it...but that's an "if".

We also use paper plates when feasible. The cheapo thin ones that smash down better; trash is an issue too, remember. We don't need water to drink. That's what beer is for... Wink Beer

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken35216 wrote:

If the water is nice, I put it on a home-made shelf, in the splash well with the exhaust aimed rearward. It's nothing more than two pieces of Starboard screwed together which puts the Honda "level" and up/dry and out of the way. I have a home-made power cord ~6' long.

If the water is crappy, I put it in the cockpit, also aimed rearward, on our big RTIC cooler. We have a custom, third rail protecting the splash well and so I've never had the gen-set fall or get knocked off/over. A simple loop of small line thru the handle/rail makes sure.

Either way, the camper-back's either not up or the three aft panels are removed and the cabin door is always closed. This allows the gen-set to remain dry and the exhaust to escape. I have a new CO detector and replace it every 5 yrs. It has never activated. Nor have we ever smelled exhaust within the cabin. The closed door also eliminates much of the engine/gen-set noise.

It only takes about 20 min for the water to heat and it stays hot enough to shower for hours.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micahbigsur,

Thanks for your input. My conclusion from all this is: I can make my fresh water last much longer if I focus on how we wash dishes. Right now we use no salt water to wash dishes.

As for showers.....although I have the genset and the hot water heater, and as much as I'd love to take hot "real" showers in the head (even trying hard to conserve), it's hard for me to imagine that I will be happy with how long my 20 gallon water tank will last if I did that. But I'll give it a try. One problem is gauging how much water I've used at any given point. The only way I can think of is to simply run out of water and thereby know that I used 18-20 gallons. But I am a-feared of ever running out of water Smile. Maybe I can do some sort of laborious bucket by bucket tank refill as a test.

As for launching/retrieving a 25 off a trailer.....I do it all the time single-handed without a dock. Is it touchy? You bet, but I have yet to have a serious problem. I'm not as old as some of you, but I am 74. IMO, the one thing you have to have is a welded ladder and platform on the front of the trailer so you can climb up to the bow while the boat is on the trailer. I use the engine at 1500 RPM in forward to insure the boat stays on the trailer while I climb up from the trailer to get into the cabin so I can ride with the boat as it slides off the trailer (it usually rolls right off as soon as I put the engine in neutral). Then I hook up to my mooring ball and dinghy back to take the truck and trailer off the ramp. (It's a little used private ramp, so I am able to leave the trailer there for the 20 minutes this all takes -- but with a 2nd person, it could all be done quickly).
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
ken35216 wrote:

If the water is nice, I put it on a home-made shelf, in the splash well with the exhaust aimed rearward. It's nothing more than two pieces of Starboard screwed together which puts the Honda "level" and up/dry and out of the way. I have a home-made power cord ~6' long.

If the water is crappy, I put it in the cockpit, also aimed rearward, on our big RTIC cooler. We have a custom, third rail protecting the splash well and so I've never had the gen-set fall or get knocked off/over. A simple loop of small line thru the handle/rail makes sure.

Either way, the camper-back's either not up or the three aft panels are removed and the cabin door is always closed. This allows the gen-set to remain dry and the exhaust to escape. I have a new CO detector and replace it every 5 yrs. It has never activated. Nor have we ever smelled exhaust within the cabin. The closed door also eliminates much of the engine/gen-set noise.

It only takes about 20 min for the water to heat and it stays hot enough to shower for hours.

I live in the south and was thinking it might be nice to run the a/c while underway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: