City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
thanks for your PM reference to Grace & Sons, they will put on our new rooftop Coleman 15KBtu unit on appointment next week, I'm to call Mon sept 23 .

We just don't tolerate 85 degrees at age 64... we don't know how you two do it (but we all are gratified that you do it so well).

Happy Boating!
John

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was the last day on the River. Lew went part way to Ftl Loudon Marina, and we stayed in Knoxville. Dinner with our relatives was facilitated by our new friend with a Heritage 40 trawler....He loaned us his golf cart. After we brought it back, he came over to the boat, and presented us with a poster done by his father, the renown wildlife and hunting artist John Cowan. Like the song goes "on the River"...We got away early, before the swimmers were in the water. We ran alongside one of the safety boats about 6 miles down river where the swimmers get out....There were almost 200 cars already staged there. My guess is that there were busses in the early morning to take the participants back to the stern wheeler which was where they jumped into the water to start the swim.

As the day wore on, the river became more crowded--far more than Saturday, when University of Tennessee lost of University of Florida! I suspect that football is more Important than church, even in the Bible Belt. Not only was the river crowded, but there was a lot of debris in the water, a glare and light chop, so debris was not easy to see--we didn't hit any big logs...but a few smaller ones.

I got the auto pilot working on this trip--and it seems to work well at slow as well as high speeds. (RayMarine 1000). There were too many twists and turns to make a track worthwhile, but the right left and standby buttons served well.

The Volunteer Marina in Knoxville was a fun place, there are a lot of live-aboards, from a recent college graduate (about 26 Fe and an engineer), to some old geezers. Boats ranged from 20 foot runabouts to 100 foot houseboats...Marina management was lacking. The manager kept saying he would come by and collect the rent--never did. He had no idea what slips were vacant. But Marie was able to push an envelope with the payment thru the office door (which had been locked the entire time we were there.).

We are back at Fort Loudon Marina--wonderful place. Courtesy Car available, got a couple free days of dockage after paying for 3 days. Very friendly and helpful staff.

We are packing items tonight to put in the truck after we haul early in the AM--We are going to miss the Tennessee River. It does not have the wild life of St. John's, but is a beautiful place.

I'll get some photos up in a few days--if we get an album.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, Thanks again for your perseverance and endurance. NO way I would want to be in 85 degrees with 80 for a water temp. Can't drink anything (soda pop) that hot. Think the cans might explode -- I keep them in the hold under the passenger seat foot panel.

I'm with John, need it cooler. Are you seeing any fall color in the trees yet? The days are getting noticeably shorter, and "Fall" starts in one more day on the calendar. Interesting info on the race. Tough swim in that warm of water.

Hope the retrieving the boat and the drive home agree with you as you continue to heal.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, the water along the swim route was 79.5* as measured by my depth sounder transducer, at 5 knots. That is still in the upper thermocline. The water deeper will probably be a few degrees cooler. I have seen far more problems with cold temps, and the rapid transfer of heat in the water, than with warm water in swimmers.

Olympic pools are from 77 to 82* and Water polo pools are mandated to be 79* plus or minus one degree. There is a separate class for those who wear "Neoprene" wet suits. The swimmers were about 30 minutes from start, and we wanted to be well clear of the swimmers, so we cannot comment on what type of "rash guard" or even light wet suits were being worn.

There is no real fall change yet at this elevation. Jonathon and Rosa left Salty in Knoxville and took a car to the Smokies--hoping to see some fall color--I believe even there it is a bit early. There has been a drought even though the yearly rain fall is normal for this area, along with the heat wave, during the last 6 weeks. Thus there is some speculation that the fall colors in the Smokies may not be as spectacular as often.

Mid October to Early November is the best time for the Smokies and Tennessee River valley. We are considering bringing the RV back up here--although Marie wanted to leave the boat.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, As you noted, the waters are warm. Much harder for long distance swimmers that cooler water although below 80 is better than above.

Also, Thanks for the info on the fall color. That would be one of my definite draws to the area for both boating and photography. You are right about the colors not being as brilliant due to the dryer climate conditions this year. The dryer the less color. Color has very little to do with temperature but much more to do with health of the trees, and decrease in daylight.

Have a safe trip home.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Fishstix2

City/Region: Cape Coral
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: PiraC
Photos: PiraC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Cool beans Reply with quote

We bought our Gibson Houseboat on Lake Loudon. Our slip was right across from Calhouns restaurant. Very good marina. Yesterday we bought our “new to us” Tomcat and look forward to traveling with you guys on a few of your adventures.

Yes a ladder is a must for safety reasons for certain. Thank goodness ours came with one.

See ya on the water
TBD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: