View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Upper Tennessee Group cruise Reply with quote

Just to formalize the "tour". Lake Effect, Cat's Claw and Thataway caravanned to B & B Marina near Charleston TN. This was about 15. miles up stream from where we stopped last year on the Cumberland, Tennessee River Cruise. We overnighted in the parking lot of a Cracker Barrel near Nashville on the way from Alton.

Mike & Kristi Mosier joined us today. Jonathon Arthur is down River and going to try and catch up with the group.

We cruised to the navigable head of Hiawassi River yesterday. We anchored overnight by Dayton TN. (Site of the Scopes Monkey Trial in 1925. Today we transited Watts Bar Lock, and are all anchored in a cove just above the dam. It is running in the mid 90's--even at 7 PM the temp is 89*. We all gathered in a park, where there was shade under the trees and a nice breeze. We saw about a dozen bass boats launch, and have an club tournament, complete with "Start" all off on a plane starting at 6 PM.

We plan to get to Knoxville Tn in 10 to 12 days, and will probably explore the Clinch River as we go up stream, as well as other side tributaries.

The highlight of the day, is jumping into the 82* lake water and cooling off, after we have anchored.

If there is any other C Brat in the area, they are welcome to join us. We will be mostly anchoring out, with an occasional Marina thrown in.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I was there. Maybe next year. Ya'all have a good time and stay safe.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Bluechablis

City/Region: Redondo Beach
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Far C'r
Photos: Far C'r
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were too many pots in the fire for us to join you this year. Sounds like you have gathered a great adventure group, I look forward to following your trip.

So many great memories of last year

Far C'r - 2001 Cdory 22
Bluechablis - 1992 NorSea 27
Quarter Note - 1972 Cris Craft Sloop
Palantir - 1971 31 Mariner Ketch (Far Seer in Elvish)
Aphrodite - 42 Ft Schooner Jay Benford Design
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone was ready for a marina, and the temp was in the mid 90's as it has been each day. Showers laundry and restaurant dinner were in order. The marina has about 30% sailboats...seems a bit unusual for this area. But deep water, and good breezes could make for nice sailing.

We spent the day looking at fantastic "river cabins"--some were in the 5,000 sq feet range, on up.
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, 90+*. When does it get down to 80 or below?

Some of us do not have air conditioning on our boats. Yikes. I'd be afraid my gel coat would melt and turn into a puddle.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey it was 102 in the cockpit today, and 92 in the cabin. Highest temp is a bout 3 PM. Now at 8 PM it is 83 in the cabin and 84 on the cockpit.

Big news! Salty Jonathon Arthur and Rosia, on Salty, caught up with us just about an hour ago. They ran just over 100 miles and two locks from Chattanooga today--and jury jugged fuel, before running the last 5 miles to catch up with our group. What an awesome couple!"

The last couple of days we went up the Emory River to Hariman, an old coal mining town. There is a 70 foot dock and we had the two 25's rafted, one 22 in the middle and the other 22 at the end, with just cockpits overlapping the docks.

Last night we went up the Clinch River, to just below the dam, where the lock is only open by appointment. Since one boat was having fuel problems, we elected to find an anchorage for the night. We were just across from Oak Ridge, AEC project. Some of the structures on their Oak Ridge Land was in decay, but there were active projects on the area where we anchored. Things seemed to glow at night!

We are anchored in a cove near the Whitestone Inn--The inn appears to be well beyond our pay grade! They do have a dock and a courtesy phone, so a limo will pick you up at one of their slips!

Also one of our members decided to go for a swim--but no ladder. Several of us had to rescue him, and pull him into the dinghy. A ladder is on the must buy list for his boat.

I went for a voluntary swim--felt good, but as I have aged, I cannot swim as well as I used to, even though we have a pool at home and I swim about once a week in the summer.

Tomorrow we go thru Fort Loudon Locks,and will stay the the five star marina by the town. Time for laundry and re-supply. Then up the Little Tennessee River and Lake Telaco.
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you all are having a good time. WOW>>>> watch that swimming, mostly getting out of the water. With temps like above 90 I can sure see why you would want to be in the water. Fun to follow, and I am enjoying the slower pace. (I still like just 5 knots, -- no bow wave.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all had a good visit with Jonathon and Rosa on Salty yesterday, as they ran with us, and then went up the Little Tennessee River for the rest of the day, Lake Effect will be hauling out at Fort Loudon, TN today. Little Joe and Cat Claw went up the Little Tennessee today. Thataway is taking a day of rest at a marina. I got crutches which helped my injured leg. Today will be on the bunk, leg elevated. How I do will determine how much longer we will continue. Alternate is to pull out in the next day or so--or to go up the Little Tennessee, Telico, Rivers and perhaps a run to Knoxville--and then pull out in about 3 or 4 days....in any case it will be sorter than originally planed.

Even though we have come over 100 miles by water, it is only 50 miles on I 75 to our launch site,. (There were at least another 100 miles of side river trips>).

Sometimes I wonder if the odds are agains me at this age. 3 out of 4 of the last major trips involved a major injury--either before the start (crushed finger), on the way--bilateral hernias changing the trailer tire,), or slip and fall off the boat, on the first day....We love the C Dory 25, and it is now rigged for us, as the "ultimate" pocket cruiser.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: trips Reply with quote

I'm glad you guys are having a good tome .Sorry to hear about your injury DR Bob . I thought for sure we would be doing a river trip this year . It just wasn't in the cards We are still in Florida waiting for AC help. This will be the 3rd compressor that gets put in Hopefully the 3rd time will be the charm ? We missed the Mississippi gathering for c-brats .Anyway see you in March for our Hontoon gathering .
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Bluechablis

City/Region: Redondo Beach
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Far C'r
Photos: Far C'r
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Bob

We might have to wrap you in bubblewrap so that you can continue to inspire all us "youngins" that life isn't over at 65
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, Just continue to take care of yourself, and heal on the way. Stay safe.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: cruise Reply with quote

Bob,
Today the NWS says Pensacola broke the record high at 102 degrees (but it only felt like 104). So no need to rush away from your cooling rivers. We'll have a cold front coming, but without any snow or sleet.

You sound a bit frustrated about your last few medical misadventures, but they are trivial compared to what you guys have weathered in the past. Take some relaxation and ice-down time.

Best wishes to the Salty crew, as well as you and your entire fleet!

Safe and happy travels!
John

thataway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: The extended family of boaters and C Dory Reply with quote

Cats Claw and Thataway have reached Knoxville, the terminus of our river trip. We will haul out sometime next week in Fort Loudon. After a full days rest, in the bunk--we did the Little Tennessee and Tellico to their navigable head. Today 40 miles up to Knoxville.

Extended family A big thanks to Pat Clow's son, Aarne Clow. Aarne lives near Fort Loudon where we have been tied up, and where there is a great ramp. He volunteered to take all of us skippers to B & B where we launched early this AM. Aarne works for MasterCraft. We went by the factory (Sea Ray is next door) on Tellico Lake) by boat.

At the Fort Loudon Marina, there was a courtesy car--keys are in it, keep it full of gas and use it. The manager searched thru her storage locker trying to find a walker for me to use one evening. (I am doing OK with crutches). Marie met another boater (42 foot Hatteras) who had seen our boats earlier on the trip, and since they had a car, and were going that way, offered to take us all to pick up our rigs. The fellow boater with a 45 foot power boat the next gangway down, came up as soon as we docked--commented on our C Dory (he has a friend who owns one)--we talked for a few minutes--and our paths may have crossed in the sailing world...he offered us his golf cart for the duration we were here.

There is the comradery not only at the gatherings, where we meet our friends we correspond with over the internet, but with the spin off cruises such as the one we took last year, and again this year on the River Systems--also many other gatherings have the same experience. But in heartland America, the spirt of boaters as friends and ones who help each other is still alive.

Thanks to all of the C Brat friends who make these boats so extra special!!!
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, what a neat trip ending summary. The boating community is truly special in that way. Sure hope your healing continues. I am really looking forward to making this same trip, in kind if not exact same locations, maybe a bit later in the season, looking for cooler temps and some fall colors, hopefully next fall.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

thataway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They tell us this is the hottest fall on record. We did not run the AC the last couple of days. Right now it is 85 and about as high as it will get in the Cabin.

Last Sept we had some cool to cold (relative) days in late Sept, plus severe flooding which basically closed parts of the Tennessee to Navigation...

Tomorrow there is a 10K swim/ relay (where the "pilot kayaks" switch places with the swimmers at 5 K starting at 8 AM in Knoxville TN. The water temp is in the 80* temp range. There is a different group for those who wear wet suits vs going a natural...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: