View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:50 am    Post subject: Ranger Tug R-25 Reply with quote

Seems Ranger is coming out with a 25' version of the new R-23. Not many details yet, but it says they had one on display at the recent 2019 Rendezvous in Roche Harbor.

See page 2: https://www.rangertugs.com/Userfiles/Docs/Newsletters/Saturday-Newsletter.pdf

P.S. They said over 200 boats showed up at their gathering (granted that includes Rangers and Cutwaters, but still).
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it! That being said I see a bit more Cutwater aesthetics in this boat than previous tugs. Not a bad thing, just an observation.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we owned our R25 SC we came around to the fact that the new common rail computerised diesels were not as simple to run as the new outboards are. The depth to launch and all the heavy interior teak worked against its handyness. It looks like Ranger is realizing how good and simple to run the new outboards are.
The easy to work on C-Dory's are more my style (Dana did love the fancy interior and stand up v-berth)

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Ranger Tug is a very nice looking boat. I have always felt like the old tugs were a bit 'busy' looking. Very nice lines on the new one.
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forrest wrote:
The new Ranger Tug is a very nice looking boat. I have always felt like the old tugs were a bit 'busy' looking. Very nice lines on the new one.

My thought exactly.

Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ranger Tug R-25 Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
2019 Rendezvous in Roche Harbor.

They said over 200 boats showed up at their gathering (granted that includes Rangers and Cutwaters, but still).

We were at Roche Harbor last Friday and it was indeed a huge turn out. RTs & CWs everywhere and completely dominated the guest docks. Since our C-Dory is so nimble and low draft we have no problem going to the end of the swim dock. They do throw a very good bash of which our CBGTs can only dream about. I didn't notice the new R-25, but was handed a very tasty blue margarita at one of several hosted bars on the dock while among all the festivities. CoolSmile
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went on all their boats a couple years ago in St Pete and loved them. Very nice boats but I ordered another C-Dory. C-Dories just fit my needs better.

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I noted the "Recessed Rigging" under the swim step--I think that was what sank the Ranger 23 a couple of years ago. I hate to think about working on those...I wonder if the outboard powered Rangers still have bow and stern thrusters to they can dock?
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Hmm, I noted the "Recessed Rigging" under the swim step--I think that was what sank the Ranger 23 a couple of years ago. I hate to think about working on those...I wonder if the outboard powered Rangers still have bow and stern thrusters to they can dock?

You can get them with a bow thruster. Not sure about a stern one.

I bet they are much more careful about the rigging and installation of the motor since that brand new C-302 sank at the dock in BC a year or so ago.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranger designs are almost obsessive about creating a small boat with a big luxury yacht feel. Hiding the outboard rigging is an example! On our Ranger having a stern thruster that is mostly not needed by an experienced boat handler was fun in till you do your own maintenance and have to pull the whole aft part of the boat apart to access it to replace the easly damaged sacrificial prop shaft pin. The interior side of the VHF antenna and lead was covered completly with multiple pieces of teak trim. Dana loved it, it is in every sense a luxury yacht. But for me everything in the 3 year old boat maintenance schedule like replacing the engine to water heater hoses was hidden behind layers of other hidden stuff. I knew I was in trouble when I had to cut, remove and redo the interior step so I could gain access to the engine salt water impeller on the front of the diesel only to realize that Yanmar had changed the pump design, flipped it around so that it all had to come off instead of the simple front plate of the earlier Yanmars I had been working on for years. It was non adjustable so the manual said I needed to cut the drive belt and then needed a special tool to reinstall a new one. The use of outboards will simplify them somewhat but they are still designed as extremely complex boats without regard to maintenance access.
I still think Rangers are great boats and l see many C-dory owners see them as a step up, but this is a cautionary tale for those who do their own maintenance and don't want to spend for expensive marine workers to do the extensive maintenance they need to be kept shipshape. This is why I think so many of the new boat owners like the one we bought ours from who had not even changed the original fuel filters or changed the oil, bail on them at the first big maintenance scheduled.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micahbigsur@msn.com wrote:
Ranger designs are almost obsessive about creating a small boat with a big luxury yacht feel. Hiding the outboard rigging is an example! On our Ranger having a stern thruster that is mostly not needed by an experienced boat handler was fun in till you do your own maintenance and have to pull the whole aft part of the boat apart to access it to replace the easly damaged sacrificial prop shaft pin. The interior side of the VHF antenna and lead was covered completly with multiple pieces of teak trim. Dana loved it, it is in every sense a luxury yacht. But for me everything in the 3 year old boat maintenance schedule like replacing the engine to water heater hoses was hidden behind layers of other hidden stuff. I knew I was in trouble when I had to cut, remove and redo the interior step so I could gain access to the engine salt water impeller on the front of the diesel only to realize that Yanmar had changed the pump design, flipped it around so that it all had to come off instead of the simple front plate of the earlier Yanmars I had been working on for years. It was non adjustable so the manual said I needed to cut the drive belt and then needed a special tool to reinstall a new one. The use of outboards will simplify them somewhat but they are still designed as extremely complex boats without regard to maintenance access.
I still think Rangers are great boats and l see many C-dory owners see them as a step up, but this is a cautionary tale for those who do their own maintenance and don't want to spend for expensive marine workers to do the extensive maintenance they need to be kept shipshape. This is why I think so many of the new boat owners like the one we bought ours from who had not even changed the original fuel filters or changed the oil, bail on them at the first big maintenance scheduled.

Great insight! Thanks! Someone ought to post this on the R-Tugs site and see how they react!!! Smile

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please no, one of my old friends at the factory might put a contract out on me, I posted once in a while on Tugnuts and I don't want to look like a traitor. The Tug buyers tend to be able to afford the maintenance (you could spend $ 250,000 on a new nicely optioned R25) and almost everything is an option above the attractive base price! So I am just cautioning C-dory owners who I see as a totally different breed of more practical owner, that may think a Tug is a step up.
One Tugnut thread was about how much they had to pay for the annual solid colored gel coat buff out as they can fade quickly, so the person posting the $900 price he was quoted found that others had paid down to $600. I buffed out ours a few times and it is such a chore that $600 was starting to sound good!
ssobol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the OB powered Rangers will be a bit less of a maintenance headache because access to the engine is much easier. The OB installation is simpler all around (e.g. no cooling water plumbing and through hulls in the boat). Other systems and wiring are hidden away though.

That said however, the Rangers are much more finely appointed and equipped than a typical C-Dory. There will be less need to make extensive mods to make the boat more comfortable. The amount of work on the interior needed to do minor mods will discourage people from messing with things.

For instance, adding heat or AC to a Ranger that didn't get built that way would be a HUGE PITA. Not like just sticking an AC unit in the window or on the roof.

I like the Rangers, but looking at the systems and the build I'm been put off about getting one. The IB diesel just turns me off after having multiple boats with outboards. The OB Rangers help, but they'll still be more difficult to work on than a C-Dory. My wife still wants one though.

For about the same price as the new R-25 you can get a new Seapiper 35. Yes, they are different boats, but I think the Seapiper is a lot more boat for the money. Which one you want depends on what you plan to do with it.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of A.C. on the Tugs, one Tugnut thread was how to change a small component. The only real factory access is back at the foot of the little enclosed berth that extends forward under the setee area behind which the heater and AC are installed it seems before the interior
fiberglass liner, owners were able to give instructions on where access hatches needed to be cut in the fiberglass liner for access.
I had to add several teak hatches in our liner for maintenance access and all work must match up with the rest of the beautiful teak interior.
The 150 hp Yanmar was a car BMW motor they had adapted for marine, when the Yanmar rep at the boat show told me that the BMW collaboration had not worked out and didn't know how long parts would be available for the already problematic diesels I gave up. Ranger went over to the better, still complex, heavyer Volvos after that.

My wife Dana almost cried when I told her that I was fed up with it and it had to go. After doing all the easily done upgrades we have done to our older C-dory Dana is once again a happy wife!!
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah-

Don't worry, I won't report you to the Tug-Nuts!

Just thought it would be curious to see how many of them had reached the same conclusion, or had recently bought a bought a Ranger Tug without realizing yet how hard they were to work on.

My Sea Ray is somewhat similarly "over-finished" or "finished-over".

When I wanted to add a windlass, I promptly gave up on running large power cables from the batteries in the stern to the bow.

I simply added a dedicated battery and battery charging system under the v-berth to serve the windlass.

Running the low amperage windlass control lines from the solenoid, battery, and charger under the v-berth to the flying bridge was enough hassle.

The whole boat inside is finished like a fine car and routing and hiding wires is very difficult, to say the least.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: