View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishstix2

City/Region: Cape Coral
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: PiraC
Photos: PiraC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Hot water heater Reply with quote

Ours is located under the helm seat. It takes up the entire area. Has anyone replaced theirs with an instant hot water heater? If so any issues I would need to be aware of before doing same?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been toying with this idea for at least 10 years, and had gone all of the way to remove the water heater in the first 25, and then found that the "instant" type of heaters available would not work, because they were not pressure tested. They had an on and off valve which stopped the water before it got to the heater tank.

I had looked at the small tank heaters, specifically the Bosch 2.5 gallon. But it seemed to take up a lot of space under the galley

Micah Curtis of "Sierra" had installed one of the Bosch 2.5 gallons behind the sink in his 25. I made a mock up and it appeared to fit.

I pulled the old tank out. In my boat 2007 C Dory 25 with fiberglass interior, there was a shelf which rested on the top of the water heater, and the heater was its main support. That had to be removed in two pieces. Teak trim along the front of the shelf was removed. Then there was one screw on the hold down in the back, all tubing and electrical had to be removed. In out case the overflow went to the shower sump, so that line had to be removed also.

The new tank went in fine, I decreased the number of hoses under the shower pan to 2 (from 4). I also have a mixing valve in the shower. So the hot line goes to that. The cold line is split between the mixing valve and the cold tap in the shower. I put the water heater at Max temp--and it was too hot for use on the hands. The idea was that the mixing valve would keep temp down to regulated temp. We used the heater for 3 weeks of continuous cruising. It worked very well. The water was warm enough the next AM for breakfast dishes and wash up. The water heated up in 15 to 30 minutes to max temp. There was very little "dead space" between the heater and the spigot.

We went with the same water heater circuit--so I had to run new wire (#12) and I did put in a socket, rather than hard wire, if ever had to remove or work on the heater this is safer. It was a great upgrade.

Water heater installed:

Mixing valve:

I have taken photos of most of the upgrades in this 25 and will be posting that as a subject soon.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
outbackbill

City/Region: Mocksville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Blue Days
Photos: Blue Days
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a plywood shelf 1/2 inch over the water heater and found I could fit two 10 gallon Rubbermaid toughmate containers on it. One for tools and one for fishing tackle.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, we already had the shelf over the water heater, which we put back, so we gained another large storage space. but the best is that there is no "dead space" for water to travel from heater to user faucet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: