The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

A cautionary tale, overboard and boarding ladder.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Colby, I would be interested in more info on that. Did He try to use it? Did it not work? Why? What happened?

Lew had taken the foil off his boat. We had not discussed using it in our ladder discussions. Lew may offer an impression at some point. They they were going to haul out today, after running about 40 miles down river to Fort Loudon.

My best guess in assessing the situation at the time, was that Lew was not capable of getting to the trim tilt switch. It was all he could do to hang on the transom, with a life jacket. It Is not all that simple that the motor "spills you into the splash well"--try it some time... I am not sure Lew could have used a ladder even at the point when we arrived...That was going to be Mike's approach if we could not get him in the inflatable. It is possible that a rescue swimmer would have had to go into the water with him...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"...if we could not get him in the inflatable."

One of the issues with getting someone into an inflatable is that often, the In Water Person (IWP) tries to stay vertical and climb up and over the tube. It is much easier to bring them up to the surface in a horizontal position, (laying on the side next to the tube) then bring the upper arm and leg into the boat, then roll the far or lower arm and leg into the boat. This eliminates trying to lift the person - half of their body weight at best -- up and over the tube. Bring the leg up first, and the body will follow easier.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing that out Harvey--Floating alone side, leg & arm up, is the technique Marie and I tried to use when I was in the water. It is one we have used in the past. There is also the use of lines or a tarp to roll a person in--also to put floatation aids in the water to help being the victim closer to the surface. Each circumstance is different.
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, count me among the oodles of Brats relieved that something much worse didn't occur that day. I've had some near-splashes and nowadays I find myself having to be more careful about things I took for granted just a while ago. Whether it's standing on a ladder to clean the boat, reaching from the dock for that bow line just an inch or two away, helping to push a beast of a cruiser this way or that, walking on a wet boat or dock, and generally thinking more about safety than the task at hand. Also, body mechanics. Because of the C-Dory's low profile, I need to remind myself each time I board or dock to step up and angle my body--or sit on my butt and spin--avoiding the tendency to plant and rotate my foot. Done improperly, I've felt my knee twinge from torque, like a football player cutting left or right and his cleats slowed or stuck in the turf. I don't need a sprained knee or pulled ligament on the boat or out on a trail. Now in my 60's, I just move (and think) more deliberately--trying to maintain what's left!
Lew 25

City/Region: Billings
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: CAT CLAW
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long story short. Trim tabs didn't work and 115 hp honda cover is slippery if it is well waxed. No hand points of purchase. 35 hp Honda works very well with a permatrim. I am not sure if I can still swim. Some years ago (5) several miles was not a problem. I don't think I like the idea of a flotation device being the only thing being the difference between the top and bottom of the water. Lesson well learned. That is one way to learn but not always the best.

Lew 25

City/Region: Billings
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: CAT CLAW
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have picked out a ladder then looked at the price and though that is too expensive. It took less than a half a second to change my mind. That is CHEAP. Lew
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard from a friend that another friend had a wild accident. He was crabbing out by Sequim when the wind came up. He jumped in the dinghy and went to pull the pots. Before he got there the chop came up and he flipped the boat. His wife and another couple could see him from the shore and called 911. Although a good swimmer, his inflatable life vest didn't inflate so he stayed with the boat and rode the outgoing tide. Wife could see him for a minute, then couldn't see him next to the boat. Must have been terrifying.

Coast Guard responded on the phone that the nearest vessel was a Canadian research vessel. They had an inflatable in the water and came a few miles to rescue him. He told my friend (and not his wife) that he figured after 40 minutes he had less than another 15 minutes.

This is a guy I whitewater kayaked with. He is Mr. Ski Patrol. Mr. CPR. But you pull the string and nothing happens, that changes everything. I've been wearing my inflatable PFDs less and less. I just might throw them out so that I'm not even tempted to think they can save the day. They are better than nothing until they are nothing.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question to ask is when was the inflatable life jacket last re-charged and inspected? The literature suggest an interval of inspection of at least once a year. Mustang suggests each time you go out on a trip.

Check the cartridge for rust, the end for puncture and the threads are seated properly in the valve. The manual mechanism to be sure it is free and shows "Green" in the window.

The vest should be inflated manually at least once a year, and checked for leaks over at least a 16 hour period.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: