The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

upsize from 22 cruiser to a 25 cruiser or a sea sport 2400?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chipwagon

City/Region: Victoria
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sam 'n Leo
Photos: Sam 'n Leo
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:26 am    Post subject: upsize from 22 cruiser to a 25 cruiser or a sea sport 2400? Reply with quote

So I've enjoyed the 22 cruiser for a few years and thinking about what's next.  A couple of options I like are the c-dory 25 cruiser and sea sport explorer 2400 (outboard model).  I like the c-dory 25 for it's fuel efficiency and a bit more room than the 22.  I expect it would handle rough water a little bit better, and be more comfortable for occasional overnight stays for a family of 4.
The sea sport on the other hand would be a better fishing boat, and much better in rougher water or offshore fishing conditions.  A better option if I want to occasionally try tuna 50 miles offshore of Vancouver Island.  A 2400 would have more space than the 22 cruiser and I would guess about the same as the 25 c-dory--so should be good for the odd overnight.  There are more sea sports on the market--it seems next to impossible to find a good 25 cruiser for sale in BC/Canada, it was hard enough to find the 22 cruiser.  On the downside, the sea sport might be a bit more expensive and definitely more weight for towing and bigger gas bills and more on engines.
The 26 foot venture looks interesting but not sure where I'd even find one.  Not very interested in aluminum even though there are a lot of options there--just not my preference.  And the same for the TomCat, I've just never been on that hull style and not likely to leap into that unknown. 
Be interested to hear from anyone who has familiarity with both a c-dory and sea sport.

kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been out in the Seasport but they look like an amazing platform for what you want to do. That being said both are likely really tight for sleeping 4 people, as I have 25 Cruiser and it is pretty tough unless you also use the floor/canvas off the back. The table is not able to sleep 2. We have had some great 2-3 day trips for a family of 3 and I expect to spend time on the floor if we have another kid.

The 25 is pretty tough to use when going offshore off the BC coast. For amazing high-pressure ridge weeks, it would be fine but when heading out to Swiftsure or off Bamfield it is a light hull to slam down wave after wave.

The Seasport looks like an extra 2k pounds of engine and hull weight, much less the extra 60GAL of gas. Better for cutting through and riding up and down big swells. I would also count on 20-25% more in operating cost but nothing is cheap boating!

I would guess a 25 comes up for sale annually in BC, there was one for sale in Duncan in 2017/2018, but we went to Seattle to get one with a few more features (canvas).

It is always rare to find a nicely kept good condition boat at a reasonable price so I would stay open to both, especially if you can do a private sale in BC and save a few tax dollars.

Lots of Tuna coming in up at the north Island. I almost want to do the run but I'm passing this year Smile
chipwagon

City/Region: Victoria
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sam 'n Leo
Photos: Sam 'n Leo
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks kaelc, appreciate your perspective having the 25 cruiser. There were some amazing weather days in Winter Harbour this year when I had the 22 cruiser and I was able to run comfortably at full speed off the west side. I wasn't prepared for a tuna shot though, and had the family--no way I would be dragging my wife and kids out tuna fishing. Boats were doing very well 45 miles out from Kains.

Even with preparation, good weather, and buddy boat a 22 cruiser doesn't seem like the right boat for going 30+ miles offshore. I think the 25 would be better, but from you're saying probably not ideal. I think I would feel a 24 seasport would be appropriate. A wise fellow told me I should just go to Westport and take a tuna charter for a thousand bucks and see how much I enjoy it before spending big on an offshore boat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: